SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

5 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I want to see if this UND team has developed the grit necessary to win NCAA tournament games.  It's been a pretty smooth season thus far.  Relatively easy non-conference schedule where they did what they had to do.  Cruised at or near the top of the conference standings all year, and secured an NCAA berth, and #1 seed, early.  We've yet to see this team participate in a game they had to win.

NU, on the other hand, has basically played "win or go home" games since the first of December.  That kind of pressure, and success, even if done against average competition, can build a pretty strong team.

I am hopeful the experience of our juniors and seniors will summon the ability to play with urgency that is necessary in the NCAAs.

On the flip side of the coin, when some of the teams we've had like that burn out in the NCAAs people comment that maybe they got burned out playing in must-win games throughout the 2nd half.

15 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

NU, on the other hand, has basically played "win or go home" games since the first of December.  That kind of pressure, and success, even if done against average competition, can build a pretty strong team.

9 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

On the flip side of the coin, when some of the teams we've had like that burn out in the NCAAs people comment that maybe they got burned out playing in must-win games throughout the 2nd half.

This is where I was going too, SJHovey (same as InHeavenThereIsNoBeer).   I have no idea but sometimes I wondered if that long desperate grind in the 2nd half taxes a team enough that, once they get in, there's a bit of a mental let-down in intensity.   Every team is different and every situation is different.  I don't know enough about NU's season to make much of a guess.  

29 minutes ago, dagies said:

This is where I was going too, SJHovey (same as InHeavenThereIsNoBeer).   I have no idea but sometimes I wondered if that long desperate grind in the 2nd half taxes a team enough that, once they get in, there's a bit of a mental let-down in intensity.   Every team is different and every situation is different.  I don't know enough about NU's season to make much of a guess.  

Yup, I watched some player interviews after they came back to campus and they frankly seemed happy to just be in the NCAAs.  I know this is deriving a lot from interviews but there could be the mindset where they subconsciously win the HE tournament and settle for just "being there".  On the other hand, UND expects to be there every single year and knows the work has just begun.

That's my "over-analyzation" for the day.

11 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No, he means Hockey East.  The one that kicked the crap out the NCHC this year.

UND vs. HE - 2-0-1 (Vermont, Maine)

SCSU vs HE - 0-0-0

DU vs HE - 0-2-2 (BC, BU, ND)

UMD vs HE - 1-1-2 (ND, UML)

Miami vs HE - 0-1-1 (Providence)

Omaha vs HE - 2-0-0 (Vermont)

WMU vs HE - 0-1-0 (ND)

CC vs HE - 0-6-0 (UMass, UML, BC)

Cumulative - 5-11-6

Cumulative without CC - 5-5-6

Other than HE feasting on CC, they're fairly even matched.  Poor showing by Denver though.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Way to hedge your bets. Set it up perfectly for an "I told you so" if UND doesn't make it out of the regionals but left one foot on the bandwagon just in case...

It's been a fun season, with results that far exceeded expectations in the regular season. I'm not ready for it to be over, nor are the players or staff and I'm not going to let a game against a good team that was playing for its life or another where neither team had anything to play for change that. Time and time again, UND has shown it doesn't matter whether they limp into the tournament or come in red hot.

Look, you and I don't agree on much on here and I can live with that. What I will not live with is people questioning my loyalty to this team and program. I was simply pointing out that a loss and a tie at the Frozen Faceoff is not encouraging and is reason for some concern. That does not equate to jumping off the bandwagon or "hedging my bets". Capisce?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Cam plays well (he doesn't have to stand on his head) and UND doesn't give up a PPG UND will win this one 3-1 or 4-1.

I thought the difference last Friday was that Cam let in a few softies, and UND hit 4 posts.  The whole "weak-end" left me with a sinking feeling, but of course, this team does have the personnel to get it done, should they be able to refocus for 4 straight games.

2 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

I want to see that too!

Image snapped from TV in frame by frame advance of CBSSports slow mo.  The slow mo wasn't good enough to really see the puck well, it was a black blur prior to hitting pads, but the circled white smudge does represent the puck, as in the next frame advance, said white smudge shifts upward, after puck had hit off pad.  Draw whatever conclusions you'd like from this pick but it looks like it was probably in.  Whether or not it would have been conclusive to a reviewer is a whole different matter.

hmmm.jpg

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Cam plays well (he doesn't have to stand on his head) and UND doesn't give up a PPG UND will win this one 3-1 or 4-1.

Couldn't agree more - we have gone into many a tourney and just needed our goalie to play to his season average only to have him crap the bed.  Zane for example.  Poor goalie play in tournaments has been a hallmark of our title drought.  

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

Couldn't agree more - we have gone into many a tourney and just needed our goalie to play to his season average only to have him crap the bed.  Zane for example.  Poor goalie play in tournaments has been a hallmark of our title drought.  

No doubt this has been an issue.

It's more than just goalie play, though. Zane was stellar against Ferris a couple years ago, and very good against MN (but the last goal was rough). Aaron Dell was solid in 10/11. Combining all of those playoff success ingredients has been a problem. But there's always time to remedy that, and they can start this weekend.

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We're going to have to score goals on Friday....like 4 or 5.

I don't get why everyone is thinking our norm is somehow blown away with one poor weekend.

This team is giving up 1.85 goals a game. We can shut them down just like anyone else in the country.

That being said.... I'll take 5 :) haha

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXpucks said:

Image snapped from TV in frame by frame advance of CBSSports slow mo.  The slow mo wasn't good enough to really see the puck well, it was a black blur prior to hitting pads, but the circled white smudge does represent the puck, as in the next frame advance, said white smudge shifts upward, after puck had hit off pad.  Draw whatever conclusions you'd like from this pick but it looks like it was probably in.  Whether or not it would have been conclusive to a reviewer is a whole different matter.

hmmm.jpg

Who was it in the head office that didnt feel the need to review this again?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't get why everyone is thinking our norm is somehow blown away with one poor weekend.

This team is giving up 1.85 goals a game. We can shut them down just like anyone else in the country.

That being said.... I'll take 5 :) haha

Absolutely!  The focus here seems to be on Cam....I was simply trying to point out that we should focus on our offense.  Our D is great.

• Upvote 3