SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Northeastern // Mich vs. Notre Dame

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, GoalieMask said:

Earlier today i was listening to the NCAA Midwest Regional preview show on Cincinnati's WKRP.

Les Nessman feels that Notre Dame, much like himself, is much maligned and isn't receiving the credit he deserves.  "Beware the sleeping dog," he mutters.  "It may be Good Friday but this clan of Catholics is capable of staying focused and taking it to their Ann Arbor rivals."

"Michigan's all class," Herb Tarlek retorts. "Their helmets are as tacky as my cheap suits but make no mistake, they are explosive and fiery. Their top line has a trio of Hobey Baker candidates and their coach has made a career out of making opposing teams see Red."

Venus Flytrap counters with the team that has all the style, flash, and exuberance of a winner. "Northeastern is where it's at," he coolly noted. "After humble beginnings the downtrodden have risen to the pinnacle of the sport. Their howl is fierce and there ain't nothin' slowing this team down."

And finally Dr. Johnny Fever chimes in, singing the praises of the #1 Seed, North Dakota. "As sure as turkeys can fly, this team can dominate this tournament," Fever confidently proclaimed. "I've seen them rise to the Head of the Class - and I should know a thing or two about that. I know they wanted to go to St. Paul but this team's getting kind of tired of packin' and unpackin', from town to town, up and down the dial.  Maybe UND was never meant to be....ah heck, just call it a Frozen Four once more."

Then Jennifer Marlow walked in and no one cared about hockey anymore.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

Here's an article from my favorite "news" site, Barstool Sports (of Boston, soon to be of NYC) of what teams to bandwagon on for this NCAA hockey tournament. No surprise North Dakota is featured first :cool:  http://www.barstoolsports.com/philadelphia/if-you-need-a-college-hockey-bandwagon-to-jump-on-as-the-tournament-starts-heres-some-options/

If you don't know Barstool...enjoy :lol: they've got a lot of funny content, not all of which is safe for work so beware

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

DDC couldn't wait any longer. 

Here we go. It's tournament time.

http://daddydumpandchase.blogspot.com/2016/03/ncaa-tournament-mw-regional-from-queen.html?m=1

Well reasoned. Reasonable conclusion. However, I will take issue with our maligned Defense. Prior to the team's gelling, We were giving up >4 GPG while scoring <2. In the past 23 games, those stats have literally been reversed by comfortable margins. It has been dramatic and kind of amazing. Had we played this way for the whole year, we would have been a #1 seed in one of the regionals and would have to deal with UND (and don't mean the golden gnomers) until the frozen four.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Earlier today i was listening to the NCAA Midwest Regional preview show on Cincinnati's WKRP.

Les Nessman feels that Notre Dame, much like himself, is much maligned and isn't receiving the credit he deserves.  "Beware the sleeping dog," he mutters.  "It may be Good Friday but this clan of Catholics is capable of staying focused and taking it to their Ann Arbor rivals."

"Michigan's all class," Herb Tarlek retorts. "Their helmets are as tacky as my cheap suits but make no mistake, they are explosive and fiery. Their top line has a trio of Hobey Baker candidates and their coach has made a career out of making opposing teams see Red."

Venus Flytrap counters with the team that has all the style, flash, and exuberance of a winner. "Northeastern is where it's at," he coolly noted. "After humble beginnings the downtrodden have risen to the pinnacle of the sport. Their howl is fierce and there ain't nothin' slowing this team down."

And finally Dr. Johnny Fever chimes in, singing the praises of the #1 Seed, North Dakota. "As sure as turkeys can fly, this team can dominate this tournament," Fever confidently proclaimed. "I've seen them rise to the Head of the Class - and I should know a thing or two about that. I know they wanted to go to St. Paul but this team's getting kind of tired of packin' and unpackin', from town to town, up and down the dial.  Maybe UND was never meant to be....ah heck, just call it a Frozen Four once more."

That is awesome, well played. But I was more of a Bailey Quarters guy...

40 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Lol heard from source northeastern had to cancel fan bus. Couldn't get 30 people on 

I don't think interest is the issue. Just feasibility. It's Easter. Finals are approaching. Co-op and job interviews for seniors. Timing is bad. It's a long, long ride for easterners who are used to having things much closer together than folk from west of the Mississippi.  If  somehow we get to  Tampa, though we expect to pack the building

Interesting.  Do they have replay officials upstairs who buzz down, or is it up to the on-ice officials and/or coaches to decide to take a look at a play?  On the UMD goal, Walsh waved it off and Shep comes over and says he saw the net move so they initiate a review.  Would be cool to see the GoPro footage from this particular event.  Looks like it happened pretty quickly, and the Shep/Walsh crew isn't exactly fleet of foot.  Maybe they were out of position.  Not sure why nobody from UND made a request to review the play, unless none of them saw it either until after the game (or during intermission).  Sounds like the TV crew thought it was in, but it's not like the broadcasters can request a review.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha welcome to Sioux Sports. We are the kings of the tangent.

Our second line of Rhett Gardner, Luke Johnson and Austin Poganski are big boys that play very physical, but all bring good scoring punch. Poganski and Gardner in particular are dominant in front of the net. Johnson shoots from all angles and the other two try and bang rebounds.

Our third and fourth lines have players that can score. Bryn Chyzyk has a great shot in space, Shane Gersich has game-breaking speed, Coltyn Sanderson has shown a good around the net scoring punch in the second half and Joel Janatuienen is a hard working, two-way player.

I'd take note of our d-corps. Troy Stecher and Tucker Poolman both have dominant playmaking ability. Stecher might be the best player on this team and that includes the CBS line. He does everything for this team. 

Hope that helps.... and makes you nervous :)

We have to deal with some big boys in HEA like Tuch from BC. Most of them are found on the back line. Our second line a.ka. the 7-8-9 line of #7 McMurty, #8  Gaudette and #9 Sikura are not particularly big, but are fast, clever and unselfish. They play very well together. The third line has two transfers from bu,  (small case is a sign of disrespect - like goofers:glare:) Collier and McMurtry. We tried to recruit each, lost them to bu, where they were unappreciated. On LW is our best player, Kevin Roy. He missed a dozen games with a concussion. When he returned, the Stevens/Zar line was so hot that the coach, to his credit, was smart enough not to fix what wasn't broken. Some third liner! The fourth line is a group  of hyperactive pests including  two freshman wings who can score more than the odd goal.

BTW I understand that our coaches went head to head on a couple of recruits. You got Ludvig Hoff from Lincoln while we got Liam Pecararo from the Waterloo team. Both forwards are (were) >1 PPG contributors and should help our respective programs. We'll see when they get here.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Hhound said:

We have to deal with some big boys in HEA like Tuch from BC. Most of them are found on the back line. Our second line a.ka. the 7-8-9 line of #7 McMurty, #8  Gaudette and #9 Sikura are not particularly big, but are fast, clever and unselfish. They play very well together. The third line has two transfers from bu,  (small case is a sign of disrespect - like goofers:glare:) Collier and McMurtry. We tried to recruit each, lost them to bu, where they were unappreciated. On LW is our best player, Kevin Roy. He missed a dozen games with a concussion. When he returned, the Stevens/Zar line was so hot that the coach, to his credit, was smart enough not to fix what wasn't broken. Some third liner! The fourth line is a group  of hyperactive pests including  two freshman wings who can score more than the odd goal.

BTW I understand that our coaches went head to head on a couple of recruits. You got Ludvig Hoff from Lincoln while we got Liam Pecararo from the Waterloo team. Both forwards are (were) >1 PPG contributors and should help our respective programs. We'll see when they get here.

Has Tuch been pretty entertaining to watch? I believe he is a MN Wild draft pick, so I'm hoping he has some serious potential. Haven't seen him play yet though.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Has Tuch been pretty entertaining to watch? I believe he is a MN Wild draft pick, so I'm hoping he has some serious potential. Haven't seen him play yet though.

Not really. He is definitely big. He uses a telephone pole for a stick. However he seems to be more of a grinder that, say, Kreider was. I wouldn't say he puts fans in the seats. BC (they're decent folks so they are capitalized) has far more interesting/exciting players with fan appeal.

1 minute ago, Hhound said:

Not really. He is definitely big. He uses a telephone pole for a stick. However he seems to be more of a grinder that, say, Kreider was. I would say he puts fans in the seats. BC (they're decent folks so they are capitalized) has far more interesting/exciting players with fan appeal.

Good to know, thanks!

1 hour ago, Hhound said:

On LW is our best player, Kevin Roy. He missed a dozen games with a concussion. When he returned, the Stevens/Zar line was so hot that the coach, to his credit, was smart enough not to fix what wasn't broken. Some third liner!

Kevin Roy on the third line? That scares me a bit.

7 minutes ago, fargosioux said:

Kevin Roy on the third line? That scares me a bit.

My guess this is a chemistry and depth thing. Roy was out for awhile and my guess is that kept the top line in tact. As far as I'm concerned, Roy is definitely their best player and is a top line player on the overwhelming majority of teams.

3 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

Thanks for taking me back.  Great job!

2 hours ago, NDinCO said:

That is awesome, well played. But I was more of a Bailey Quarters guy...

same

17 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Cool, you read Northeastern's thread on the USCHO forums as well? I did too! Great source, amirite? ;):lol:

Our USCHO and Dieharddogs.com are  child's play compared with what you folks have here. I can't believe how many active posters participate and how prolific they are. I guess you have had enough success that you've built a huge cadre.

One thing before I head home: When you were "urged" to change your mascot and nickname, did anyone try to salve the PC police with a suggestion that you call yourselves something other than the "fighting" Sioux. How could the tribe have objected to your calling yourselves the "clever", "brave hearted", "handsome" "witty" or "virile" Sioux? Something along those lines could hardly be considered to be derogative. It was a great and an appropriate nickname. I loved the unis with the profiled head - especially the Kelly greens.:(:glare:

BTW I've been around long enough to have seen the 1982 NC team and to learn the proper pronunciation of the name Hrkac;)

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Hhound said:

Our USCHO and Dieharddogs.com are  child's play compared with what you folks have here. I can't believe how many active posters participate and how prolific they are. I guess you have had enough success that you've built a huge cadre.

One thing before I head home: When you were "urged" to change your mascot and nickname, did anyone try to salve the PC police with a suggestion that you call yourselves something other than the "fighting" Sioux. How could the tribe have objected to your calling yourselves the "clever", "brave hearted", "handsome" "witty" or "virile" Sioux? Something along those lines could hardly be considered to be derogative. It was a great and an appropriate nickname. I loved the unis with the profiled head - especially the Kelly greens.:(:glare:

BTW I've been around long enough to have seen the 1982 NC team and to learn the proper pronunciation of the name Hrkac;)

Don't.  Just don't go there.   You don't want to see what this thread will turn into.  :0

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1