SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Kristo probably should have left after his junior year. He had nothing left to prove and wasn't gonna win the Hobey because of his reputation. But had he left the team likely wouldn't have made the tournament that year.  Still can't believe he hasn't gotten his cup of coffee at the show.

Kristo is one of those guys that plays a top 6 game, but doesn't have NHL top 6 skill...he needs to bring something other than speed and a good shot.  With 30 NHL teams, there are only 120 top 6 wing jobs out there, and everyone can play...If you assume that NHL age is really only about a 12 year span from 20-32 with outliers on either end, that means you have to be one of the 10 best scoring wingers in world your age (averages again)...now factor in what hand your shot is, and while you can play your off-wing, most don't...Danny is that guy who might end up crushing in the KHL...he's right at that bubble.  See Brandon Bochenski...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Character? Honoring commitments made? BMOC for another year? Co-eds instead of small-market puck-chasers? Living out the perfect example of why the anti-college sports crowd is wrong?

Up-and-coming athletes can buy insurance against catastrophic injuries, but no amount of money will buy back the collegiate experience.

Why is leaving early so well tolerated?

I have no clue what the argument is here? If you can honestly look at Brock Nelson and say he made a bad choice or is feeling like he made the wrong choice, than you are crazy. I'm only talking about Nelson, no one else...

"Why is leaving early so well tolerated" not sure who you're asking this too? It is not well tolerated by me! I just understand why Nelson did it, and any fool can see he obviously made the right call.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

Mick Hatten - St. Cloud Times

35 mins ·

BREAKING NEWS: @SCSUHUSKIES_MH goalie Charlie Lindgren will bypass his senior season to sign a pro deal. Signing likely later today. 3 teams are finalists for him

Agree that its a huge loss - SCSU starts next fall with no goaltenders with any college experience.   I'm surprised only 3 SCSU players have been drafted AND I'd be surprised if they don't lose a couple more underclassmen.  

11 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Agree that its a huge loss - SCSU starts next fall with no goaltenders with any college experience.   I'm surprised only 3 SCSU players have been drafted AND I'd be surprised if they don't lose a couple more underclassmen.  

We did alright with three goalies with (almost) no college experience :)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, fsioux said:

Lots of very good recruits waiting to fill those spots from early departures.  The coaches expect some of that.  It is when you get gashed at the last minute like J. T. Miller that it has a big effect.  With UND's atmosphere and large and enthusiastic fan base,  recruits have to foaming at the mouth to commit.  The Frozen Four will be an example as I am betting that the number of Sioux fans at the games will outnumber all of the other schools combined. 

I disagree with none of that, but you'd rather keep Boeser, Schmaltz, Poganski, Stecher, LaDue, Thompson, Poolman, right?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

And best dman and most of their scoring (prow, kossila, benik, murray, and morley, all seniors)

It is definitely worth remembering all of these other early departures in a few weeks. If UND loses a few guys, there is no reason to hit the panic button. Other teams lose high end talent too, and we will still have a lot of youth returning, as well as some talented fresh faces. This team will be fine, and be competitive once again next season.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

dang, have to feel bad for Nashville. This loophole is so terrible for college hockey, there has to be a rule change so this doesn't happen. College coaches cringe every time this happens. Makes their jobs so much harder as far as trying to keep the NHL reps from signing their kids too early.

Thing is, it isn't a loophole at all. It's written in the collective bargaining agreement. Vesey is exercising his right. Vesey chose to get a Harvard degree before getting any NHL money when he certainly could've left early.

Honestly, I don't think players, especially a 3rd rounder really owes anything to the team that drafted him. If Vesey didn't pan out, the team that drafted him wouldn't have signed him since they don't owe him anything either but heaven forbid if a player does it.

With that said, it doesn't sound like Vesey handled the situation with tact in mind. If he lied and told Nashville that he was going to sign with them and then rescinded, that's low.

PS Reading the HFBoards, the vitriol being spewed about Vesey....wowza!

10 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Kristo is one of those guys that plays a top 6 game, but doesn't have NHL top 6 skill...he needs to bring something other than speed and a good shot.  With 30 NHL teams, there are only 120 top 6 wing jobs out there, and everyone can play...If you assume that NHL age is really only about a 12 year span from 20-32 with outliers on either end, that means you have to be one of the 10 best scoring wingers in world your age (averages again)...now factor in what hand your shot is, and while you can play your off-wing, most don't...Danny is that guy who might end up crushing in the KHL...he's right at that bubble.  See Brandon Bochenski...

He probably can't get by on D based on skating ability alone anymore either.  Seemed like on the PK his mind was on getting a shorty.  I was just trying to think of someone who may have the thought in the back of their head they should have left earlier.  Can't really think of anyone else.  Glad to see Rowney have success as a pro as his drop off in production his Senior year likely hurt his first contract.

7 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Thing is, it isn't a loophole at all. It's written in the collective bargaining agreement. Vesey is exercising his right. Vesey chose to get a Harvard degree before getting any NHL money when he certainly could've left early.

Honestly, I don't think players, especially a 3rd rounder really owes anything to the team that drafted him. If Vesey didn't pan out, the team that drafted him wouldn't have signed him since they don't owe him anything either but heaven forbid if a player does it.

With that said, it doesn't sound like Vesey handled the situation with tact in mind. If he lied and told Nashville that he was going to sign with them and then rescinded, that's low.

PS Reading the HFBoards, the vitriol being spewed about Vesey....wowza!

I honestly could care less where he goes, the point I was trying to make was that this situation has a negative impact on college hockey. When teams draft players they will push their prospects to go the major junior route, where they will have more control of the player. If the players do choose the college hockey route they will try to sign the players earlier, possibly too early, simply to get them in their semi pro leagues. you are correct, technically it isn't a loophole, but its pretty shady to me. I have read Ryan whitneys tweets, he does make some decent points. I'm simply worried about the ramifications to college hockey over time. This seems to happen more frequently.

8 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I honestly could care less where he goes, the point I was trying to make was that this situation has a negative impact on college hockey. When teams draft players they will push their prospects to go the major junior route, where they will have more control of the player. If the players do choose the college hockey route they will try to sign the players earlier, possibly too early, simply to get them in their semi pro leagues. you are correct, technically it isn't a loophole, but its pretty shady to me. I have read Ryan whitneys tweets, he does make some decent points. I'm simply worried about the ramifications to college hockey over time. This seems to happen more frequently.

Agree with this ^^^

IIRC, Corbin Knight did it, only to be traded back to the team he spurned.  That had to be awkward...

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He probably can't get by on D based on skating ability alone anymore either.  Seemed like on the PK his mind was on getting a shorty.  I was just trying to think of someone who may have the thought in the back of their head they should have left earlier.  Can't really think of anyone else.  Glad to see Rowney have success as a pro as his drop off in production his Senior year likely hurt his first contract.

I always thought that the hero of our last championship, Lee Goren, could have help himself significantly by coming back for another season.

On 3/30/2016 at 11:01 AM, scpa0305 said:

Sounds like Lindgren will see games with the Habs this year and get to burn one year off his ELC.  Great news for him.

Lindgren is starting tomorrow night against Carolina.  It would appear he made a smart decision in signing.