SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

13 minutes ago, keikla said:

Lindgren is starting tomorrow night against Carolina.  It would appear he made a smart decision in signing.

Since the team isn't going anywhere, it's a no-brainer to have him play right away.  This carrot gets dangled all the time in front of players trying to get them to sign early.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Since the team isn't going anywhere, it's a no-brainer to have him play right away.  This carrot gets dangled all the time in front of players trying to get them to sign early.

Isn't it a yes-brainer though, because they become a free agent quicker this way? Understandable to see what he's got, if you do plan to keep him long term.

20 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

salty? No disrespect but sometimes it is a positive when college players make it to the NHL. He signed early but he's an overager.

34 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

salty? No disrespect but sometimes it is a positive when college players make it to the NHL. He signed early but he's an overager.

No disrespect, but I'm not sure why you thought my comment was salty.  That's just how the negotiations go.    

NHL team:  We'd like you to sign now.

Player X:  I dunno...I could come back to school and try to win the national championship.

NHL team:  We'll have you start in goal in your new NHL sweater on Thursday night at Joe Louis Arena.

Player X:  I wear a size 60.  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

No disrespect, but I'm not sure why you thought my comment was salty.  That's just how the negotiations go.    

NHL team:  We'd like you to sign now.

Player X:  I dunno...I could come back to school and try to win the national championship.

NHL team:  We'll have you start in goal in your new NHL sweater on Thursday night at Joe Louis Arena.

Player X:  I wear a size 60.  

Player X:  I have a loud mouthed grandma that splits time cheering between 2 programs?

NHL Team:  Stay in college

Just now, cberkas said:

Santini signs with the Devils.

Wood also rumored to be signing with the Devils. 

Haha, I was literally just typing that same thing.
BC loses two the day after being eliminated.

The Wood departure is a little odd...he had a good freshman season, but not outstanding by any stretch.  Maybe he just wasn't into college.
I'm really hoping that Boeser sees the light and stays another season even if UND can bring home the title.

25 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Haha, I was literally just typing that same thing.
BC loses two the day after being eliminated.

The Wood departure is a little odd...he had a good freshman season, but not outstanding by any stretch.  Maybe he just wasn't into college.
I'm really hoping that Boeser sees the light and stays another season even if UND can bring home the title.

I want to see Boeser drill one of his wristers tomorrow. 

I know its the last thing on anyone's mind but at some point we will need to discuss who we think and who has signed early. Kind of a scary thought and I just want to enjoy the championship for a while before we hear anyone leaving early.

7 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I know its the last thing on anyone's mind but at some point we will need to discuss who we think and who has signed early. Kind of a scary thought and I just want to enjoy the championship for a while before we hear anyone leaving early.

Unfortunately, I think we see a lot of faces gone over the summer. My worst case thoughts are Cam, Brock, Nick, Luke, Paul, and Stecher. I think we see Tucker for one more year. Cam will strike while the iron is hot and he has a lot of hype.

Ok, so now we have to play the waiting game. Who stays, Who goes. I'm not expecting to hear anything immediate, which makes sense, as these guys need to fully weigh their options. Regardless of who leaves, we have a ton of talent coming in. This team will be competitve again next season .... how competitive will still depend on how many people stay or go. These are just my thought, but I'm sure many of you have better perspective than I do. Your thoughts?

High Risk:

Paul Ladue - Surprised he stayed this year. LA will want to sign him for sure; doubt he will stay for another year, especially now that he has a championship.

Nick Schmaltz - It will be interesting to see what happens with Schmaltz. I'm sure he will be having a few conversations with his brother regarding the benefits of leaving early, but again, now that he has a championship, how does that come into play. Would love to see him back and playing with Boeser and Jost on the CBJ line or the #1's line.

Brock Boeser - Boeser is obviously a big flight risk, but hopefully he sees the benefit of staying for at least one more year. Parise, Toews, Oshie ... all guys in that same talent pool as Boeser, and all of who stayed, at least, two years. Most of whom have said they wish they stayed longer. Hopefully Boeser considers the value of staying for a year or two over a paycheck. Really wish the Wild hadn't passed on this kid.

Low/Medium Risk:

Luke Johnson - Hometown kid, that would not be playing in the NHL next year. I would actually consider LJ more of a low risk player who will finish out his college career.  Chance to be a huge leader next season.

Troy Stecher - Stecher's going to have to field some offers before he makes a decision. I believe it has been said that he wants to play in Vancouver and I believe they have been looking at him. Though will he sign this year or wait until after his senior year. Definitely a kid I want to see back, but we'll have to wait and see.

Austin Poganski - Pogo is another one who should be low risk, at least for this year. He could use more development; hopefully here instead of playing minors.

Tucker Poolman - Hoping Poolman can hold off making the jump, and stick around to play with his brother.

Cam Johnson/ Matej Tomek - We won't lose both, we hopefully won't lose either. Cam will get some looks, but should stick around. Tomek could certainly look to transfer if he doesn't think he will see playing time, but hopefully sees the value of staying. Karl Goehring has done a phenomenal job of coaching up these kids.

My take on the situation. 

High Risk

Paul LaDue - Almost as good as gone. 

Medium Risk :

Nick Schmaltz - There's a chance, but I think it would be better for Chicago to hold off on bringing him in for a year especially after signing Motte. Also could use another year of development (see the strides made between last year and this year.)

Brock Boesser - With Vancouver likley being a dumpster fire, I think the Canucks are better off leaving him down here.

Matej Tomek - After seeing zero playing time this year and now having to be behind Cam for likely another year or two, he'll look to transfer. Shouldnt be a problem finding a place to bring him on. 

Low Risk:

Stecher - Out of everyone in this risk group, he would be the one to leave. But the guy just bleeds Green and White so I dont see him going anywhere. 

Pogo - Not a chance St. Louis wants to bring him up. They are in the playoffs, in a decent cap situation and the guy could use at least another year in college. Unless a major development happens, he will be a four year player.

Luke Johnson - Needs some major work on game style before going pro. 

No Risk:

Everyone else. 

50 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Have we ever had back to back Championships ?

These guys have to think of their future in the game and now is their highest exposure time ever so they have to do what is right for them. But, if most stay another year (we know that Ladue and seniors are gone) this team would be almost certain to play in another FF championship game. It would be great fun to smoke Quinnipiac again and listen to their whiner coaches excuses! 

• Upvote 1