SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

49 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

deeks pizza? what i wouldn't give for one of those pizzas down here

Yeah, I was thinking Deek's but I have never ordered anything smaller than a XXL so this doesn't look right.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

He will never sniff the NHL

Definitely mistaken. Being a Rangers fan, he's very highly touted kid with the organization. He'll be a call up this coming year, if not, the next. 

In his short time with UND, he definitely had moments where he showed some big-time skill.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DAR said:

He will never sniff the NHL

Sour grapes? This thread has turned petty pretty quick...   Tambellini leaving the season early hurts, but it's still okay to wish him well at the next level.  He's got a great chance with his frame to make the NHL. He had a solid first season in AHL as well. 

JT Miller situation was completely different; just decommitted and headed north (as lot of top end players are tempted to do). Would have loved to have him on campus, but his career is turning out okay....... 

You win some and you lose some in recruiting in any sport. What hurts is when it happens mid-year, ie Tambellini, Okposo, it's nearly impossible to fill a void like that.   Our coaches plan during recruiting to lose a view players to the CHL, lack of develop, etc.  We have far more players committed come to GF then spots to fill year in and year out, so we'll be just fine. 

Speaking of Schmaltz leaving or staying. Again he should take his time in deciding and no it doesn't leave UND in a bad place. We have the committed recruits to backfill. Yes, it will hurt to lose arguably the best passer in college hockey and a 1st round pick, but let's not forget our culture at UND is second to none. Our culture promotes and praises our players for reaching the next level pro, semi pro, overseas; we will be lucky to have him another year.  

I'm sure he'll wait until after prospect camp as a lot of players do who are on the fence...and he SHOULD wait until then to make an informed decision about his future.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

You win some and you lose some in recruiting in any sport. What hurts is when it happens mid-year, ie Tambellini, Okposo, it's nearly impossible to fill a void like that.   Our coaches plan during recruiting to lose a view players to the CHL, lack of develop, etc.  We have far more players committed come to GF then spots to fill year in and year out, so we'll be just fine. 

People forget that Jeremy Bracco left BC early this past season, and ended up having a pretty nice year at Kitchener.  You always wonder what teams could have accomplished if those players had stuck around.

40 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Speaking of Schmaltz leaving or staying. Again he should take his time in deciding and no it doesn't leave UND in a bad place. We have the committed recruits to backfill. Yes, it will hurt to lose arguably the best passer in college hockey and a 1st round pick, but let's not forget our culture at UND is second to none. Our culture promotes and praises our players for reaching the next level pro, semi pro, overseas; we will be lucky to have him another year.  

I'm sure he'll wait until after prospect camp as a lot of players do who are on the fence...and he SHOULD wait until then to make an informed decision about his future.  

The comments about Schmaltz hurting UND came from the comment about him waiting until the end of July to make a decision. At that point they have incoming recruits figured out.

19 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

Does anyone know the story why tambelini left UND early?

It was playing time, must've not realized that in NCAA, you have to earn it. He took the easy route to get more playing time.

Ultimately, Tambellini left UND because he felt the Western Hockey League and Hitmen offered him more opportunity. The Dub not only has a more extensive schedule, as the league plays 32 more regular-season games than the NCAA, but the 19-year-old is also playing a bigger role in Calgary than he was in North Dakota because of the age difference in the two programs.

“It came down to that I wanted to play more games,” says Tambellini

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/blog/buzzing_the_net/post/calgary-hitmen%E2%80%99s-adam-tambellini-talks-about-his-decision-to-leave-und?urn=juniorhockey,wp29544

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Definitely mistaken. Being a Rangers fan, he's very highly touted kid with the organization. He'll be a call up this coming year, if not, the next. 

In his short time with UND, he definitely had moments where he showed some big-time skill.

4 pts in 16 games....no PP time.  He got all that in the WHL.

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Notched a goal and three assists on his first game in the WHL.  I guess that really leaves no question as to which league is better between the NCHC and the WHL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, squirtcoach said:

Notched a goal and three assists on his first game in the WHL.  I guess that really leaves no question as to which league is better between the NCHC and the WHL.

Sure.  Completely different age group though.

56 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Not arguing either point, but I remember him being dynamic in a couple of the games.

He scored 32 points in the A this year. The kid has talent.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Exactly, the age old debate of CHL vs NCAA will forever continue. It's comparing apples to oranges.  

CHL (WHL,OHL, QMJHL) has players ranging from 16-21, including 60 teams. 

NCAA has players ranging from 18-25, 60 teams.  

I would bet the average age for the NCAA is around 21 and for the CHL 18. Huge difference is mental maturity and physical maturity between the two leagues. I would agree that the CHL is easy to play in for higher end recruits, as you see with the point totals, but to say one league is better than the other is impossible to know (my personal opinion is that the NCAA route is still the better route hands down).

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

Exactly, the age old debate of CHL vs NCAA will forever continue. It's comparing apples to oranges.  

CHL (WHL,OHL, QMJHL) has players ranging from 16-21, including 60 teams. 

NCAA has players ranging from 18-25, 60 teams.  

I would bet the average age for the NCAA is around 21 and for the CHL 18. Huge difference is mental maturity and physical maturity between the two leagues. I would agree that the CHL is easy to play in for higher end recruits, as you see with the point totals, but to say one league is better than the other is impossible to know (my personal opinion is that the NCAA route is still the better route hands down).

Can 21 year olds play?  I thought I heard each dub team could only have 2 or 3 20 yr olds.

Edit:  I found the guidance.  Each Dub team can only have 3 20 year olds on the team. 

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Can 21 year olds play?  I thought I heard each dub team could only have 2 or 3 20 yr olds.

Edit:  I found the guidance.  Each Dub team can only have 3 20 year olds on the team. 

Nice catch. Yeah, three overagers allowed on each team.