SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departures 2016 Edition

AZSIOUX

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Alex Lyon looking to sign, another goalie that should stay. He could still return to Yale.

he was on the men's world team last year and is pretty old. He's also going to get a great deal. Why should he stay, judging by his numbers he has nothing left to prove at this level.

34 minutes ago, keikla said:

Not an early departure, but Vesey told Nashville he's waiting for unrestricted free agency on Aug 15.

dang, have to feel bad for Nashville. This loophole is so terrible for college hockey, there has to be a rule change so this doesn't happen. College coaches cringe every time this happens. Makes their jobs so much harder as far as trying to keep the NHL reps from signing their kids too early.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

dang, have to feel bad for Nashville. This loophole is so terrible for college hockey, there has to be a rule change so this doesn't happen. College coaches cringe every time this happens. Makes their jobs so much harder as far as trying to keep the NHL reps from signing their kids too early.

Agreed.  It just makes teams all the more eager to push for a signing after junior year.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:52 PM, snova4 said:

I'll start with stating I have no inside info, but with how tough of a decision Ladue apparently had last summer, I just assume it's a foregone conclusion. Stecher, I agree with whoever said he's the best player on the team, has said in the past he saw himself as a four year player. He's on the small side for the NHL, so the more hype he can get the better, and my one inside discussion I happened on, the scout said they'd like to see him play another year.

I'm no great hockey mind but have to agree.  Look at guys like Parks, the Genoways, Trupp, Duncan,... decent/real good college hockey players who stayed 4 years and were just not the NHL prototype.  I never played hockey (did play soccer so I do know how to dive :-) so hard to explain but you know what you see.  Who knows,  maybe Stecher will one day be a good NHLer. 

On 3/27/2016 at 3:20 PM, bigskyvikes said:

Over a half mill signing bonus can do that to a guys already made decision. 

His signing bonus, according to the league records, was a rookie max deal of $270k...not bad, but not half a mil...about half of a half mil...subsequently, he signed a 3 year second deal worth an average of $2.5 per, so it worked out, but his rookie signing bonus wasn't staggering

7 hours ago, petey23 said:

And he is 22 and about to be 23. I would love to jump on the Gopher bashing pile here but this  actually looks to  be a case where a kid is making the best decision for himself and his future.

agreed. his time is now. 

8 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

His signing bonus, according to the league records, was a rookie max deal of $270k...not bad, but not half a mil...about half of a half mil...subsequently, he signed a 3 year second deal worth an average of $2.5 per, so it worked out, but his rookie signing bonus wasn't staggering

OK, but what does it matter? How do you say no to $270 or $500,000??

I believe his parents kind of pushed him to do it, which is justified. Either way my point was, how do you stay with an offer of, $???,???

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

how do you stay with an offer of, $???,???

Character? Honoring commitments made? BMOC for another year? Co-eds instead of small-market puck-chasers? Living out the perfect example of why the anti-college sports crowd is wrong?

Up-and-coming athletes can buy insurance against catastrophic injuries, but no amount of money will buy back the collegiate experience.

Why is leaving early so well tolerated?

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Character? Honoring commitments made? BMOC for another year? Co-eds instead of small-market puck-chasers? Living out the perfect example of why the anti-college sports crowd is wrong?

Up-and-coming athletes can buy insurance against catastrophic injuries, but no amount of money will buy back the collegiate experience.

It certainly doesn't have to be.  You could refuse to recruit and sign blue chippers who nobody ever expects will stay for four years.  Leave guys like Parise, Toews, Oshie and Schmaltz off the board. 

Perhaps a better question is why is it that signing 16 and 17 year-old kids is tolerated, and why is signing kids who everyone believes will stay for only two years tolerated?   It's very admirable when the best players stay for four years, but it's pretty myopic to portray the schools and their fans as victims when they don't. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The best argument for players staying in college is what players from the past who left early to sign a pro contract have said. Almost every one of them have said they wish they hadn't left early.

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's even more cool when this list never has a UND departure :)

Lots of very good recruits waiting to fill those spots from early departures.  The coaches expect some of that.  It is when you get gashed at the last minute like J. T. Miller that it has a big effect.  With UND's atmosphere and large and enthusiastic fan base,  recruits have to foaming at the mouth to commit.  The Frozen Four will be an example as I am betting that the number of Sioux fans at the games will outnumber all of the other schools combined. 

• Upvote 4

The argument for not signing is based on readiness.  If you are marginal for making the big squad, you should stay in college.  The money will be there next year.  Oshie certainly could've left after 2 years, was a first rounder, but he would've wound up playing a year in the AHL...almost certainly.  He got the same money the next year and didn't spend a minute on the bus.

Nelson spent his whole first year pro in the AHL. 

Remember what a $270k signing bonus turns into after your agent, accountant, and tax bill...your putting $140k or so in your bank account.  Time value of that for a year assuming 5% net return is $7000.

Now, if your family is in serious need or something I totally get taking the money, but if your family is fine and you are on a full-ride at UND...what's $7k worth???  

If you're playing in the W and have given up  your amateur, then you sign the minute the offer is there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Mick Hatten - St. Cloud Times

35 mins ·

BREAKING NEWS: @SCSUHUSKIES_MH goalie Charlie Lindgren will bypass his senior season to sign a pro deal. Signing likely later today. 3 teams are finalists for him

That's a big loss for the Huskies.