SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

Otis Weah graduated from Moorhead High School in 2018.  which means he is likely 22 or soon to be.  I agree that media should treat student athletes with respect.  But we don't need to overprotect these college students treat them with kid gloves.  If you are going to make disparaging remarks, you should be able to handle some critisism directed back to you.  Doesn't need guys like Wyatt Wheeler to defend him and fight his battles.  Otis is a big boy.  He can take it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Otis Weah graduated from Moorhead High School in 2018.  which means he is likely 22 or soon to be.  I agree that media should treat student athletes with respect.  But we don't need to overprotect these college students treat them with kid gloves.  If you are going to make disparaging remarks, you should be able to handle some critisism directed back to you.  Doesn't need guys like Wyatt Wheeler to defend himand fight his battles.  Otis is a big boy.  He can take it.

The register of actions on the Supreme Court website has a DOB of 1999. So, either 23 or soon to be. 

On 5/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Oxbow6 said:

......and this is the guy bringing in Otis.  Who's suprised by this? 

uspw_6157552.jpg

You know I would expect that from your neighbors down (or up because I don't care enough to look at a map) in Fargo but maybe the behavior I associate with NDSU fans is more of a state of North Dakota deal. 

I think Bubba Schweigert is one helluva coach. But he hasn't won the Orange and Cotton bowls, hasn't been an NFL head coach, and hasn't developed a Heisman winner like Bobby Petrino. If you had the choice and threw out all of your nostalgia and personal feelings for UND, which one would you choose if you were trying to make the NFL. If it was me I'd head to the Ozarks and play for Bobby Petrino.

Imagine you were an elite junior hockey prospect. Would you choose to go to Nebraska-Omaha or develop under the tutelage of Brad Berry? I'd opt to be a Fighting Hawk. I mean unless the Gophers offered or something like that.

I still have more respect for your program than NDSU but I am pretty fired up about our game in October now. Bobby is an exceptional motivator and I have to believe that all of these comments will make the bulletin board in Springfield and will give our boys extra fuel in the Fall.

12 minutes ago, Da Bears said:

You know I would expect that from your neighbors down (or up because I don't care enough to look at a map) in Fargo but maybe the behavior I associate with NDSU fans is more of a state of North Dakota deal. 

I think Bubba Schweigert is one helluva coach. But he hasn't won the Orange and Cotton bowls, hasn't been an NFL head coach, and hasn't developed a Heisman winner like Bobby Petrino. If you had the choice and threw out all of your nostalgia and personal feelings for UND, which one would you choose if you were trying to make the NFL. If it was me I'd head to the Ozarks and play for Bobby Petrino.

Imagine you were an elite junior hockey prospect. Would you choose to go to Nebraska-Omaha or develop under the tutelage of Brad Berry? I'd opt to be a Fighting Hawk. I mean unless the Gophers offered or something like that.

I still have more respect for your program than NDSU but I am pretty fired up about our game in October now. Bobby is an exceptional motivator and I have to believe that all of these comments will make the bulletin board in Springfield and will give our boys extra fuel in the Fall.

It’ll go both ways, I think the comments made by Otis will give our boys fuel as well. You gave us Petrinos list of accomplishments but do you want me to give you Petrinos list of controversies? That list goes on for a while so I will spare you the time.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

It’ll go both ways, I think the comments made by Otis will give our boys fuel as well. You gave us Petrinos list of accomplishments but do you want me to give you Petrinos list of controversies? That list goes on for a while so I will spare you the time.

Petrino is a no-nonsense, "tell it like it is" kind of coach who doesn't play the country club politics game that wins him friends in the sports media. He made mistakes when he was a younger coach that earned him some enemies. I can tell you this though, if you drive a couple hours southwest of Springfield and you visit a gas station in Arkansas you'd be hard pressed to find many people that wouldn't choose to have him back on the Razorback sidelines if they could. I would wager a lot of people in Louisville and Bowling Green, KY would feel the same.  Atlanta Falcons fans might be different but few people take the time to understand how the Vick situation made it a no win situation down there.

Since the day he arrived in Springfield you'd have a very hard time finding locals who would say anything bad about how Coach Petrino has conducted himself.  I would guess it will be the same for our new running back. The past is the past  and we are all Bears now. And that is very bad news for the traditional Valley football powers.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Da Bears said:

Petrino is a no-nonsense, "tell it like it is" kind of coach who doesn't play the country club politics game that wins him friends in the sports media. He made mistakes when he was a younger coach that earned him some enemies. I can tell you this though, if you drive a couple hours southwest of Springfield and you visit a gas station in Arkansas you'd be hard pressed to find many people that wouldn't choose to have him back on the Razorback sidelines if they could. I would wager a lot of people in Louisville and Bowling Green, KY would feel the same.  Atlanta Falcons fans might be different but few people take the time to understand how the Vick situation made it a no win situation down there.

Since the day he arrived in Springfield you'd have a very hard time finding locals who would say anything bad about how Coach Petrino has conducted himself.  I would guess it will be the same for our new running back. The past is the past  and we are all Bears now. And that is very bad news for the traditional Valley football powers.

1. Does Petrino have a track record of significant success at most places he's been?  Absolutely!
  2. Does Petrino have enough baggage to fill a Subaru?  Yes...yes he does.
  3. Has he built his program at MSU in a way that most upper midwest types cringe at?  He has
  4. If I were Petrino would I have employed a similar strategy to building a competitive roster at a school with very little football tradition?  (Holds nose) yes
  5. Does Otis have a lot of talent?  Undoubtedly - pretty easy to see
  6. Did UND do everything they could (and then some) to work with him and keep him on the field?  Yes - quite possibly to the detriment of the team (we wouldn't have done the same things for many others on the roster).
  7. Did Otis take a pot shot at UND in the Springfield media?  To quote the author of the article..."he said what he said"
  8. Were Otis's words particularly ironic given how the 2021 MSU game ended?  You could say that...

Everyone here recognizes Otis's talent...and nobody wants to see him run wild against us in the Alerus next October.  However, fans up here kind of soured on him last year due to the suspension, decreased performance (slightly) and overall "me first" attitude that he showed at times (whether on the field, or the sidelines, or social media).  If I was Coach Petrino I'd absolutely take a chance on him, however UND really held his hand for three years here, and in that time he missed one full season, was suspended another time, and that's just what we know.  I hope he can get his head on straight and do well down in the Ozarks...but I don't think he'll get the same special treatment down there.  That may just be what's best for him in the long run...but he's 22-23 years old...it's time to grow up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Da Bears said:

Sir...this is a Red Pepper. 

1 hour ago, Da Bears said:

LOL see ya in October

48 minutes ago, UND08 said:
  1. Does Petrino have a track record of significant success at most places he's been?  Absolutely!
  2. Does Petrino have enough baggage to fill a Subaru?  Yes...yes he does.
  3. Has he built his program at MSU in a way that most upper midwest types cringe at?  He has
  4. If I were Petrino would I have employed a similar strategy to building a competitive roster at a school with very little football tradition?  (Holds nose) yes
  5. Does Otis have a lot of talent?  Undoubtedly - pretty easy to see
  6. Did UND do everything they could (and then some) to work with him and keep him on the field?  Yes - quite possibly to the detriment of the team (we wouldn't have done the same things for many others on the roster).
  7. Did Otis take a pot shot at UND in the Springfield media?  To quote the author of the article..."he said what he said"
  8. Were Otis's words particularly ironic given how the 2021 MSU game ended?  You could say that...

Everyone here recognizes Otis's talent...and nobody wants to see him run wild against us in the Alerus next October.  However, fans up here kind of soured on him last year due to the suspension, decreased performance (slightly) and overall "me first" attitude that he showed at times (whether on the field, or the sidelines, or social media).  If I was Coach Petrino I'd absolutely take a chance on him, however UND really held his hand for three years here, and in that time he missed one full season, was suspended another time, and that's just what we know.  I hope he can get his head on straight and do well down in the Ozarks...but I don't think he'll get the same special treatment down there.  That may just be what's best for him in the long run...but he's 22-23 years old...it's time to grow up.

That's a good post. I mostly agree with the entirety of it.

I wish Mr. Weah would have been a little bit more careful with his comments on his former school but in the end I'm not sure it means much more than a little message board fodder in the summer. 

The objections and holier than thou attitude of the entire Springfield media, and trust me, it is more than just a few, is something they will have to correct because we are about to be hated through most of the Valley. People don't respond well to the johnny come lately who is decidedly new money and it doesn't help that Petrino's team is darn good and carries themselves with an old school late 80s, vintage Miami feel.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Da Bears said:

I wish Mr. Weah would have been a little bit more careful with his comments on his former school but in the end I'm not sure it means much more than a little message board fodder in the summer. 

The objections and holier than thou attitude of the entire Springfield media, and trust me, it is more than just a few, is something they will have to correct because we are about to be hated through most of the Valley. People don't respond well to the johnny come lately who is decidedly new money and it doesn't help that Petrino's team is darn good and carries themselves with an old school late 80s, vintage Miami feel.

You are 100% right about message board fodder...that's all it is.

To me the only thing that really made it more serious was scrolling through the "likes" of the tweets that were calling Weah out for his comments (specifically the Hunter Pinke tweet).  There were a lot of current UND players and coaches that were in that list...including some of our "leaders."  That tells me more than some anonymous BS slinging by fans ever will.

Kids are different nowadays (happens with every generation).  The non-Gen Z "crusty" types don't really get it.  It is what it is...those who figure out ways to relate to/motivate the modern kid will do well.  Those who are too stuck in their ways to change...won't.

33 minutes ago, Da Bears said:

They're all felons on cocaine? 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Da Bears said:

Also...I think the one thing I took the most offense to in this whole ordeal was the tweet from your sportswriter calling our fans out about how we treat players and making Springfield sound like the Mecca for all contemporary college athletes.  UND absolutely gambled on bringing Otis in out of HS (only D-1 offer).  He shows flashes, then is ineligible for a year.  We could have shoved him aside, but didn't.  UND worked with him and got him back on the field.  He really blew up in the spring, and basically became the face of the team...only to somewhat mail it in last fall and leave after the season.  I think the ire was justifiable...but we'll get over it.  It's message board fodder, and something to talk about during the college sports doldrums.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Da Bears said:

I have a lot of family in Springfield. MSU FB is still many notches below Bass Pro, Andy's Frozen Custad, Springfield Cardinals baseball and Lambert's "throwed rolls"...just to name a few. Weah is on MSU's roster now. Glad to see you're all in on Bobby though.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Da Bears said:

Did they get him an electric moped to save some coin on gas?

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I can see a UND linebacker or Dback lighting him up.  

I can also see Otis laying a good thumping on a dback, given the size of Otis and the size of dbacks that is probably more likely. While our players will be jacked, Otis will also be extra pumped up playing in the Alerus again. Hope we are able to contain their ground game overall that day. 

• Upvote 1