SiouxSports.com Forum

Former Players

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

There is an actual question on the paperwork that addresses this scenario.  AD compliance officers worth their salt would not miss it. 

So you're saying a check in the Yes box next to a question worded something like say:

Are you now, or have you ever been, the subject of an investigation by your current or any school's Title IX office

is a telltale? 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So you're saying a check in the Yes box next to a question worded something like say:

Are you now, or have you ever been, the subject of an investigation by your current or any school's Title IX office

is a telltale? 

Somethin like that. :)

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unfortunately we're building quite the "Mount Rushmore" of backs that never fulfilled their potential due to non-injury reasons. 

Ryan Chappell
Otis Weah 

Not to celebrate but All-What-If Team -- 1st Team honors 

Add Grady Train to the list.

I have zero information about the particulars of this situation.  That said, the administrative process which was followed is completely different than a criminal proceeding.  The statement that he was "charged" is misleading as best.  He was not criminally charged with anything (outside a DUS).

The evidentiary rules, finders of fact, and burden of proof are all vastly different in the admin proceeding vs. a criminal case.  The standard to charge him criminally would be much more analogous to the final admin burden.  The alleged victim does not charge anyone, the State (or Feds) does.

I'm making no statement about Otis, but when anyone comes before an administrative tribunal the odds are incredibly stacked against them.  When the situation involved an institution of higher education, the odds get much much worse.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

I have zero information about the particulars of this situation.  That said, the administrative process which was followed is completely different than a criminal proceeding.  The statement that he was "charged" is misleading as best.  He was not criminally charged with anything (outside a DUS).

The evidentiary rules, finders of fact, and burden of proof are all vastly different in the admin proceeding vs. a criminal case.  The standard to charge him criminally would be much more analogous to the final admin burden.  The alleged victim does not charge anyone, the State (or Feds) does.

I'm making no statement about Otis, but when anyone comes before an administrative tribunal the odds are incredibly stacked against them.  When the situation involved an institution of higher education, the odds get much much worse.

This. I feel for anyone who may have been a victim, but there has been a lot of confusing Title IX hearings with what happens in a criminal prosecution. There is a much higher burden of proof in a criminal prosecution.

Additionally, it's easy to criticize the University of North Dakota, but the details of Title IX investigations are not made available for public consumption for good reason. In 2006 the names of 3 high profile Duke athletes (who actually were criminally prosecuted (wrongfully)), were drug through the mud by Duke faculty. Duke ended up settling with those young men for $60 million. Weah has not been charged with a crime, and most likely (at least at the time) had a much higher earning potential as an athlete than 3 lacrosse players. Add to it the optics of a young black man, being accused of a sex crime in lily white Grand Forks, North Dakota, and it could have been a 3 ring circus with a potential for huge financial ramifications for UND. I think UND handled it appropriately. Weah, unfortunately, chose the path of very public revisionist history, and it royally backfired. 

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is one of those stories where we can be glad that Fargo/GF is a tiny media market.

I don't know, this is a horrific story. A player was the subject of a rape investigation by the Grand Forks Police Department. Obviously, they can't comment on an ongoing investigation. It was dropped at the request of the survivor. How this was missed by the university, I wonder if someone will have to answer for this? Moreover, he played for a couple of season after this investigation. He enters the portal and no one had still caught wind of this incident? Grand Forks is a small town, people talk, what is compliance doing? Maybe the blame doesn't lie with them. For sometime I've heard rumblings, but couldn't find anything to back up these rumors. Nothing good can come out of this. 

I read a couple of comments from people that said that women lie about rape. It rarely happens. Sometimes, but not very often. 

So what’s the answer? Do women lie about rape? According to Joanne Archambault, a former sex crimes unit supervisor, the answer is fairly simple: “[False reports] are not a problem. They happen, but they’re not a problem.” Research has shown that only roughly 2 to 8 percent of rape reports are untrue, (for car thefts, another felony offense, that number is about 10 percent [pdf].) Two to 8 percent is a pretty small number to justify the climate of fear around false rape reports

19 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't know, this is a horrific story. A player was the subject of a rape investigation by the Grand Forks Police Department. Obviously, they can't comment on an ongoing investigation. It was dropped at the request of the survivor. How this was missed by the university, I wonder if someone will have to answer for this? Moreover, he played for a couple of season after this investigation. He enters the portal and no one had still caught wind of this incident? Grand Forks is a small town, people talk, what is compliance doing? Maybe the blame doesn't lie with them. For sometime I've heard rumblings, but couldn't find anything to back up these rumors. Nothing good can come out of this. 

I read a couple of comments from people that said that women lie about rape. It rarely happens. Sometimes, but not very often. 

Police report is one woman, title 9 situation is about multiple over time?   My comments about the media market were in reference to the University and the football program.

9 minutes ago, zonadub said:

And what is the percentage of those that go unreported?

poorly phrased question, but you get the point.

Here are some stats, it's not pretty. 

More Stats.

Department of Justice (DOJ) study discovered only 20 percent of female students, age 18-24 who experienced sexual violence, report to law enforcement.

The Association of American Universities (AAU) found in their campus climate survey that, “Overall rates of reporting to campus officials and law enforcement or others were low, ranging from five percent to 28 percent, depending on the specific type of behavior.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) estimates that 95 percent of U.S. campus rapes go unreported.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

Here are some stats, it's not pretty. 

More Stats.

Department of Justice (DOJ) study discovered only 20 percent of female students, age 18-24 who experienced sexual violence, report to law enforcement.

The Association of American Universities (AAU) found in their campus climate survey that, “Overall rates of reporting to campus officials and law enforcement or others were low, ranging from five percent to 28 percent, depending on the specific type of behavior.”

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) estimates that 95 percent of U.S. campus rapes go unreported.

Horrible.

2 hours ago, Goon said:

False accusations of rape are "Not a problem"? Ms. Archambault compares false accusation rates of rape to false accusation rates of car theft to prove some sort of point. Here's a huge difference; Around college age, almost everyone is out there trying to get laid. Just doing-what-horny-young-adults-do can open you up to being on the wrong side of that 2-8%. I can't think of any circumstance in my life when someone could have falsely (or justifiably, lol) accused me of stealing a car. Did any of you ever "get some" from someone you just met after a night of drinking at a college party? That's why there is fear of false reports of rape.

In addition to that, on the internet all it takes is an allegation and you are branded for life.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Goon said:

What are you suggesting here? 

The woman you quoted said false accusations of rape are not a problem. I am suggesting that false accusations of rape, or any crime for that matter, are indeed a problem.

To be clear, my argument wasn't with anything you said, it was with the quote you posted. I see now that the "quote" function only carried your comments over to post, and not the quote you had in your post, which was my intended target. No arguments with you.

Before each home game there are players and coaches with a public service announcement on the video board on how the team is doing everything they can to fight rape and other abuses of women.

I wonder how many players if any, knew of what happened and didn’t say anything