SiouxSports.com Forum

Two players arrested

northernraider

Stupid...stupid...stupid...18 year old's make dumb decisions - but it's not something that should result in getting kicked off the team - plenty of other discipline options that will send a strong message.  In the big picture it's a minor crime but they do need to be consistent in the way they handle these situations and anyone on scholarship does deserve to be held to a higher standard. 

28 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Clive George's arrested in February. Tried to hide that one.

You're off by a year, friend. Mr. George's issue was in 2015. And they didn't hide it too well considering it took me all of 20 seconds to find a public record of the incident. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

Clive George's arrested in February. Tried to hide that one.

Yeah, really tried to hide it last  year. :silly:  I'm not sure what your definition of hiding is but this certain was out there. Just saying.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3689948-und-football-player-arrested-marijuana-possession

http://www.inforum.com/news/crime/3690583-und-football-transfer-arrested-marijuana-possession

http://www.wdaz.com/news/3690591-recent-transfer-und-football-team-arrested-possession-marijuana

• Upvote 2

Not an excuse - and they need to be punished - but the way public opinion is moving on MaryJane this is no worse than a minor in possession and should be treated as such ...unfortunately this will no doubt attract trolls - in the big picture, if handled appropriately and Bubba has proven it will be,  it's a part of helping young adults make smarter decisions and holding them accountable. 

• Upvote 1

Unfortunate situation and they will need to be punished, likely by sitting out a game or two. With that said, they're both young and deserve a chance to correct their behaviors while still playing UND football. Bubba will take care of this and I have faith this will smooth over. 

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Unfortunate situation and they will need to be punished, likely by sitting out a game or two. With that said, they're both young and deserve a chance to correct their behaviors while still playing UND football. Bubba will take care of this and I have faith this will smooth over. 

I feel the same.  I would only imagine bubba is very angry and saddened.  You would be hard pressed to find a better morally set person then bubba.  He wants you to do the right thing in life but also realizes people can and will mistakes and he will forgive.  It will now come will circumstances.   He is a great coach on and off the field.  He gives his everything for these kids and he expects that in return.  He does not want und to be dirtied more so with any association related to him.  He will do the right thing 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ND1 said:

I agree, but luckily for us the boosters do not decide the punishment.. Bubba does

Not sure who 'us' is but opinions vary from please pass the joint to a 1-2 game suspension.  I'm sure the punishment will fit somewhere in-between.

I'd actually be disappointed if Bubba enforces anything harsher than a 1 game suspension.  If it were my decision I'd just have some extra conditioning for the team.  We're really at the point where it's unethical for police departments to spend time enforcing these laws as it will be legal within the next decade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

I'd actually be disappointed if Bubba enforces anything harsher than a 1 game suspension.  If it were my decision I'd just have some extra conditioning for the team.  We're really at the point where it's really unethical for police departments to spend time enforcing these laws as it will be legal within the next decade. 

I held off on this comment a bit.... but on Tuesday there was "extra conditioning" taking place among the WR corps, everyone that is except for the two alleged offenders. They got to stand in the middle and watch -- Basic Training style.  Bubba and Coach Freund got this.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Teeder11 said:

I held off on this comment a bit.... but on Tuesday there was "extra conditioning" taking place among the WR corps, everyone that is except for the two alleged offenders. They got to stand in the middle and watch -- Basic Training style.  Bubba and Coach Freund got this.

Good call by Bubba... this is exactly the way to handle this. 

2 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Good way to handle it by the coaches. Way better to punish everyone else, and make the offenders watch. Definitely a better impact.

That being said, these kids did something stupid. they deserve to be suspended for the Stony Brook trip, and lets hope it doesn't happen again. I've said my bit ... time to move on from the issue.

1 minute ago, airmail said:

Unethical for police to enforce the law?  Are you effin' kidding me? 

:huh:

He does have a point. I think it is more ethical to go after people for actual crimes: Vandalism, theft, assault, etc.

For those who are not aware, life in Colorado has not changed much since legalization with two exception: 1) a lot of tax revenue 2) there was an influx of homeless but this will level off once other states legalize it...which is in the works.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

He does have a point. I think it is more ethical to go after people for actual crimes: Vandalism, theft, assault, etc.

For those who are not aware, life in Colorado has not changed much since legalization with two exception: 1) a lot of tax revenue 2) there was an influx of homeless but this will level off once other states legalize it...which is in the works.

Ok, what if the police officer just comes up on them doing it?  Was it a sting operation?  I agree that the other crimes are much more serious.

I'm indifferent to it.  Plenty of friends took part in that particular activity.  All but one have stopped, as they have goals in their careers and failing a drug test isn't exactly going to help that. 

• Upvote 1