SiouxSports.com Forum

Two players arrested

northernraider

On Monday, March 07, 2016 at 6:30 PM, homer said:

Disappointing. 

What's disappointing to me is some kids are on less than full scholarship but have their !@#$ together and are still required to pay for the sins of teammates.  If my boss told me I had to work the weekend because a coworker didn't do his job, I would laugh in his face and say see u Monday.  Making the others do sprints or updowns because the two used pot is ridiculous.  Now if the two of them were dogging it in drills...that be different. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Nobody asked my opinion, but I'll give it anyway :). I actually think this was a great move by the coaching staff, having the people you care about(teammates in your position group,who in my experience can be closer than brothers at times) suffer as a result of your misstep is hugely impactful for a young man. This is a common punishment in the military and I believe it applies very well in a college football setting too. It displays the attitude that "we are all in this together and your screw up affects many more people than just you". Having the offenders not participate is a genius move IMO because the guilt they feel from watching their brothers suffer shows them how selfish their actions were. 

I personally love the move.

Wrong. In the military they would get a bad conduct discharge. 

Just now, Old School Guy said:

Wrong. In the military they would get a bad conduct discharge. 

For smoking weed, probably true, but there are lesser offenses than smoking weed that wouldn't warrant a bad conduct discharge correct? 

Just now, Bison06 said:

For smoking weed, probably true, but there are lesser offenses than smoking weed that wouldn't warrant a bad conduct discharge correct? 

There is no probably to it. That's a fact. Lessor infractions will get you a Letter of Counseling, Reprimand, demotion or extra duty. But they they don't punish your coworkers when YOU break the law. I agree there are times when a coach makes everyone run extra if someone is loafing but this is a different situation. I'm not advocating kicking them off team...that's too harsh. But, it's about sending a clear message that they are accountable to team, family and community.

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

There is no probably to it. That's a fact. Lessor infractions will get you a Letter of Counseling, Reprimand, demotion or extra duty. But they they don't punish your coworkers when YOU break the law. I agree there are times when a coach makes everyone run extra if someone is loafing but this is a different situation. I'm not advocating kicking them off team...that's too harsh. But, it's about sending a clear message that they are accountable to team, family and community.

I can see that you're working very hard to be argumentative by picking out the one word that makes me slightly wrong.

This isn't a workplace setting, you can throw fair out the window. This is football, unusual motivation tactics have been a mainstay in this sport since it's inception.

I can only speak from my experience and Mr. Fruend is from the same era of football I am, he and I agree that this was a proper punishment and I applaud his tactics, let's see how it plays out for him.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Ok, what if the police officer just comes up on them doing it?  Was it a sting operation?  I agree that the other crimes are much more serious.

I'm indifferent to it.  Plenty of friends took part in that particular activity.  All but one have stopped, as they have goals in their careers and failing a drug test isn't exactly going to help that. 

I am indifferent to it as well. There are still some out there that think weed is "the Devils lettuce" and that is a huge lie and I can't stand it. I don't partake any longer because I have more important things to do but I am not about to condemn 18 - 21 year old kids for trying it like most of us have in the past. Seems like Bubba is handling it properly and I am fine with that. I just don't think it should be any more serious than a minor in possession of alcohol. 

To answer your first question: If a police officer came up upon them smoking it they should be arrested. If I were smoking a joint in public here in Colorado I would be arrested. Just like walking down the sidewalk with an open beer.

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

I held off on this comment a bit.... but on Tuesday there was "extra conditioning" taking place among the WR corps, everyone that is except for the two alleged offenders. They got to stand in the middle and watch -- Basic Training style.  Bubba and Coach Freund got this.

I remember hearing of something like this years ago where a basketball coach did the same thing.  He upped it one more level and gave the offender a chair and a cold Coke-cola to drink while his teammates ran.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I remember hearing of something like this years ago where a basketball coach did the same thing.  He upped it one more level and gave the offender a chair and a cold Coke-cola to drink while his teammates ran.

bI0Oc.gif

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Ok, what if the police officer just comes up on them doing it?  Was it a sting operation?  I agree that the other crimes are much more serious.

I'm indifferent to it.  Plenty of friends took part in that particular activity.  All but one have stopped, as they have goals in their careers and failing a drug test isn't exactly going to help that. 

I can understand the fear factor of ruining a career but that should be all the more reason to make it legal

Why do I suspect Bubba might have inhaled :cool:

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Bubba and Danny are just reinforcing the team concept.  The offenders won't want to let the team down again and will think twice about breaking team rules. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

Bubba and Danny are just reinforcing the team concept.  The offenders won't want to let the team down again and will think twice about breaking team rules. 

You're assuming the offenders give a rip about anyone but themselves. Being an offender of team rules (state law?) already points otherwise. 

If a coach punished me for another's violations that other person had better be ready when I come for my ounce of flesh. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not big on punishing non-offenders.
I ain't payin' the speeding ticket of a co-worker driving a company vehicle. 

I agree.  I guess the lesson to be learned here is if you're going to break the law, make sure to include everyone from your position group. 

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

Nobody asked my opinion, but I'll give it anyway :). I actually think this was a great move by the coaching staff, having the people you care about(teammates in your position group,who in my experience can be closer than brothers at times) suffer as a result of your misstep is hugely impactful for a young man. This is a common punishment in the military and I believe it applies very well in a college football setting too. It displays the attitude that "we are all in this together and your screw up affects many more people than just you". Having the offenders not participate is a genius move IMO because the guilt they feel from watching their brothers suffer shows them how selfish their actions were. 

I personally love the move.

This is exactly how I feel. The players begin to police themselves. It also teaches the lesson of your actions affecting other people.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

What's disappointing to me is some kids are on less than full scholarship but have their !@#$ together and are still required to pay for the sins of teammates.  If my boss told me I had to work the weekend because a coworker didn't do his job, I would laugh in his face and say see u Monday.  Making the others do sprints or updowns because the two used pot is ridiculous.  Now if the two of them were dogging it in drills...that be different. 

Team aspect that Bubba is putting out there. First of all, he making the other plays do extra workouts. Its not like he is whipping them. Then making the offenders watch is a much worse punishment than make them do extra sprints (or whatever else).

Beautifully handled by the staff. Reminds kids that they are accountable to more than just themselves. They are accountable to their teammates, coaches, fans and university.

I'd just assume we take the legalize weed conversation somewhere else. It is completely irrelevant here. As of now it is illegal, that's why these kids got in trouble. Doesn't matter if it should be legal or not. I think the speed limit should be increase and a certain road by my house (AND IT SHOULD), but I still got stuck with a ticket.  (Maybe I should make my wife run sprints in our back yard, while I watch, as a punishment for my ticket ;) )

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I can see that you're working very hard to be argumentative by picking out the one word that makes me slightly wrong.

This isn't a workplace setting, you can throw fair out the window. This is football, unusual motivation tactics have been a mainstay in this sport since it's inception.

I can only speak from my experience and Mr. Fruend is from the same era of football I am, he and I agree that this was a proper punishment and I applaud his tactics, let's see how it plays out for him.

I don't know you and have no vested interest in making you appear to be wrong.  Nor am I being argumentative. You chose to quote and comment on my post, which is fair.  I'm simply sharing my opinion on sharing punishment with those that had the good sense not to posses or use pot. Having played college football, coached high school ball, and served in the military, I am pretty comfortable in sharing my opinion. Now, obviously I don't get a vote as to how UND will a handle this, but I know how I would. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Another reason why this punishment works.

What would you do physically assault them or tell them how mad you are? That will solve the problem and ensures it never happens again.  I hope these two guys learn and grow from this and set the Big Sky on fire next year, but it won't happen as a result of some tired or angry teammates. 

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

What would you do physically assault them or tell them how mad you are? That will solve the problem and ensures it never happens again.  I hope these two guys learn and grow from this and set the Big Sky on fire next year, but it won't happen as a result of some tired or angry teammates. 

Not unless a second freshman haircut counts as physical assault.