SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have been saying that about all our non-hockey programs for years. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to change. ???

E-mail ideas to the marketing staff (Jason Namanny, Alex Kroke) if you have them. From experience, they are very receptive and continuously looking for input from the fans to see what they want and how they think they can make the experience better. Being proactive and providing input is much more helpful than holding your breath.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

E-mail ideas to the marketing staff (Jason Namanny, Alex Kroke) if you have them. From experience, they are very receptive and continuously looking for input from the fans to see what they want and how they think they can make the experience better. Being proactive and providing input is much more helpful than holding your breath.

First of all, it isn't my job to do this, it is theirs. You just seem to be content with everything as it is; I respectfully disagree with that approach.

Second of all, I am simply commenting on what I have seen over the years and over several Athletic Directors (Wanless, Thomas, Buning and now Faison). Don't shoot the messenger.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

First of all, it isn't my job to do this, it is theirs. You just seem to be content with everything as it is; I respectfully disagree with that approach.

Second of all, I am simply commenting on what I have seen over the years and over several Athletic Directors (Wanless, Thomas, Buning and now Faison). Don't shoot the messenger.

You can sit on your hands and complain or you can create.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

My wife and I were having a conversation about the difference in sports marketing between NDSU & UND.  It just seems NDSU i so much better at promotions.  Just heard on the radio about a fan bus to Sioux Falls for the Summit League Tournament.  Yet, there has been no mention of a bus to the Target Center for the NCHC playoffs.  NDSU used to do caravans across the region to promote it's athletic programs. Also Fargo is painted basically painted green and yellow during homecoming, yet in Grand Forks it seems just another day.  

• Upvote 2

Might be a mistake to host the spring game at Memorial Stadium. The facilities and technological capabilities are completely limited. There will be limited streaming capabilities along with additional technological/marketing features. Also, as mentioned in another post, there will be little to no room to tailgate.

All in all, why is the Alerus Center with the brand-new video boards being ignored? That is the current home of UND football; it should be utilized as such. I understand that it would be great to have UND football back on campus, and I am for that happening in the future, but not until Memorial is renovated, obviously. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Might be a mistake to host the spring game at Memorial Stadium. The facilities and technological capabilities are completely limited. There will be limited streaming capabilities along with additional technological/marketing features. Also, as mentioned in another post, there will be little to no room to tailgate.

All in all, why is the Alerus Center with the brand-new video boards being ignored? That is the current home of UND football; it should be utilized as such. I understand that it would be great to have UND football back on campus, and I am for that happening in the future, but not until Memorial is renovated, obviously. 

Well at least the people who bitch about an indoor football stadium can finally watch a game outside.  I agree with you though.

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Completely agree.  At the Alerus, you can come to the game, get something to eat, have a beer, etc and you can guarantee it will be a calm cool 72 degrees.  At Memorial, you have no food or beverages, you are sitting on a metal bleacher, using porta potties, and it could be windy or raining.  Die hard fans will be there no matter where it is at.  But for the casual fan looking to watch a scrimmage, it may be a tough sell.  UND football has a hard enough time getting people to show up to regular season conference games, let alone a Spring scrimmage!!

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't disagree what you are saying.

My view on the Spring game last year was it was simple, all access for fans, blue collar, the guys played hard, just like the style of football Bubba likes to play.  You could walk on the track, stand 2 feet from the players, be right on the side line, or sit in the stands.  After the game it was fans and players mingling, lots of photos, some fans throwing balls around on the field, really laid back.  So maybe more of a philosophical difference on the Spring game from what the coaches are looking for compared to fans.  I didn't have a problem with it and not sure I'd take the time to stream a Spring game.........although the trend in college football is to make a big deal of it.

18 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I don't disagree what you are saying.

My view on the Spring game last year was it was simple, all access for fans, blue collar, the guys played hard, just like the style of football Bubba likes to play.  You could walk on the track, stand 2 feet from the players, be right on the side line, or sit in the stands.  After the game it was fans and players mingling, lots of photos, some fans throwing balls around on the field, really laid back.  So maybe more of a philosophical difference on the Spring game from what the coaches are looking for compared to fans.  I didn't have a problem with it and not sure I'd take the time to stream a Spring game.........although the trend in college football is to make a big deal of it.

I do agree that hosting the game at Memorial Stadium does offer some positive aspects that would otherwise not be present at the Alerus Center. With that said, downgrading the hype surrounding Spring Games is not the current trend in college football, as the Alerus Center offers the ability for instant replay, in-game interviews, music, tailgating, etc. None of that will be present at Memorial. 

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

You can sit on your hands and complain or you can create.

Create? Create what? I could lobby the athletic department to ramp up the marketing effort for our non-hockey programs, but it would be up to them to do it, not me. I don't get paid to "create" and neither do you. I made one observational comment about the weak marketing efforts for our non-hockey programs; that was it. What I said has been said by others on this forum many times over the years. I am not the first person to bring it up and I sure won't be the last. But if you want to make a mountain out of my little molehill, then by all means go right on ahead.

• Upvote 3

It bothers me immensely about how little attention we get for the spring game compared to NDSU.   They have their spring game on statewide TV and we get squat.   How hard would it be to get sponsors and promote the game ourselves?   Surely there would be enough interest to get it on WDAY/WDAZ.   If we can't get more attention after the success of last season we are in real danger of hitting a plateau and not jumping up to the next level.    Time to think big.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TRex said:

It bothers me immensely about how little attention we get for the spring game compared to NDSU.   They have their spring game on statewide TV and we get squat.   How hard would it be to get sponsors and promote the game ourselves?   Surely there would be enough interest to get it on WDAY/WDAZ.   If we can't get more attention after the success of last season we are in real danger of hitting a plateau and not jumping up to the next level.    Time to think big.

It certainly is important to not conveniently ignore the competive race that NDSU provides in-state. Many want to normalize the status quo, suggesting that NDSU's tremendous success doesn't affect UND football at all; however, UND does need to pick up coverage and support of its football program to keep up with NDSU. North Dakota and Northern Minnesota do not have a population that allows for blatant ignorance of NDSU's success. UND needs to aspire forward progress in football every season, and I believe media coverage is just one such way to facilitate improvement. Of course, consistent winning is also important, but what can be done by fans and UND athletics to help that? Fill the Alerus; improve marketing and game day experiences.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

exactly!!!!

• Upvote 1