SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

16 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

I am assuming there are a few sports medicine guys on this forum. What do you guys think of the end range loading these players are getting when they're maxing out on Olympic lifts? Safe? Not safe and may be leading to a higher injury rate?

Here are the facts per my buddy, who is a highly-educated strength coach.  I asked him the question above and here was his answer:

"Research indicates that strength training through a full range of motion will promote strength and growth in ligaments, tendons, and other joint structures in the respective joint.  Training through a partial range of motion may increase strength in the muscle, however it does not influence the other joint structures that are important to joint stability".  This is what you are seeing in the videos.  Full range of motion and for the record, they are NOT maxing out in those videos.  Not sure where that came from.  They are doing 2-3 rep sets.

"More than likely, UND is progressing to heavier loads this week being their spring football starts next week.  So the last week will probably be 1-3 rep sets, etc.  This is standard procedure across the country.  However, technique is the most crucial part and those that don't have it do not make it to the point of heavy, low rep sets.  Bad technique causes injury, not weight."   I know for a fact that freshmen with average technique will not be performing heavy-low rep sets for these reasons.  That has been the case for years.

Regarding the squat question that some have raised in the past for some stupid reason:  "Research has shown that deep squats work more muscles than any other form of partial squats since they involve a full range of motion.  Since the full squat works more muscles, they enable the trainee to become stronger faster than through partial movements.  Full squats actually help to stabilize and secure the knee joint.”  End of discussion on squats.  EVERY program in the country has their entire team doing squats and cleans, and that includes QB's, WR's, and such.  

There you have the reasoning behind the progression to heavier loads at the end of the workout season.  Now my opinion based on past comments about why UND had so many ACL injuries during a 3-4 year time span.  

Pre-existing injuries were a contributor to more than half of those ACL injuries.  Back injuries, previous ACL injuries, quad issues all led to those injuries in former UND players.  Lets remember it was like 2-4 a year, so if there were pre-existing conditions then it really only happened to one fully healthy player.  Not weight lifting's fault.  There are 100+ players on the team.

Summer Effort Leading Into Fall Camp:  Not all of the players felt it was in their best interest to show up at workouts in GF come summer session.  This led to injuries.  Indisputable.

Talent.  Like it or not, if you are not as talented as the guys across from you then you are going to get put in bad positions repeatedly.  You are going to be vulnerable out there by being a step behind or weaker than your opponent.  This leads to poor technique on the field, which leads to possible injuries.  Think about it, if you are the alpha male out there, you are probably not going to be put in a vulnerable position very often.  That player is going to create issues for others damn near every play, he will play fast and confident.  It would take a fluke play to injure him, like Z. Arnell's injury this year. 

Lets look at this past season and who got injured:

Z. Arnell:  dipsh*t NDSU TE dove into the back of his knee and broke his leg.

Tyler Coyne: freshman knee injury in fall camp before practice began.

Taj Rich:  knee injury.  Non-contact.

Kyle Ruhe: knee injury.  Non -contact.

Jawon Arrington:  never healthy from the get go, ankle injury. 

Brady Oliveira:  knee got rolled up on running the ball.  Not anybody's fault.

Cole Reyes:  back of the knee bone injury.  Missed a couple games.

Drew Greely:  collarbone.   

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping some of you diehard fans will take in a few practices and share updates with the rest of us. I know I've appreciated them in the past - and you guys always seem to have good information and commentary to share. Please keep it up!

(Has anyone suggested that they get a local coffee shop to sell coffee and breakfast at those 8 AM practices in the HPC?)

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I'm hoping some of you diehard fans will take in a few practices and share updates with the rest of us. I know I've appreciated them in the past - and you guys always seem to have good information and commentary to share. Please keep it up!

(Has anyone suggested that they get a local coffee shop to sell coffee and breakfast at those 8 AM practices in the HPC?)

Paging @Teeder11

• Upvote 2

On 2/23/2016 at 11:15 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Neverman is a beast. Excited to see what he brings to the table this spring. That's 374 lbs for all you math majors out there.

Nevermann is a beast, but I just saw a clip on twitter of a Penn State Freshman RB cleaning 390 .... ridiculous.

Going to be in town this weekend and would like to take in Saturday morning practice……schedule on UND football page says 8:00-10:00 but was also told it starts at 9:30 from someone at the football office…..hate to get there as they are finishing up…..can anyone help with confirming practice time for Saturday AM…..THANKS

Anyone know anything about these guys? 

UND has released their 2016 spring football roster.  There are a few notable changes and additions to the roster.

• LB Corby Richman of Tower City, ND.  Assuming a relation to UND MBB player James Richman.
  • LB Hayden Vogel of Fergus Falls, MN.
  • LB Mike Thingstad of Velva, ND.
Are they spring semester walk-ons?  transfers?  High school early grads?

Ugh, Meindel did well this past season.  What punter was brought in?

Never mind:

Looking to replace Meindel this spring will be JUCO-transfer Jacob Meeks, who spent two seasons at Northeast Mississippi Community College. Meeks has two years of eligibility remaining for the Fighting Hawks.

Edited by UNDBIZ

18 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well I see why a Punter was brought in

bmLstFIW_normal.jpg Tom Miller ‎@tommillergf

UND FB has released spring FB prospectus. Notable absence is punter Mitch Meindel, who has been dismissed for violating athletic dept policy

Any idea what he did to violate dept policy?

21 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND FB has released spring FB prospectus. Notable absence is punter Mitch Meindel, who has been dismissed for violating athletic dept policy

Unbelievable, didn't this kid have an off the field issue a few years ago too? Gets another chance, and does well, then still screws it up.

I don't want to judge too much, since we don't know what happened, but this seems a bit ridiculous.

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

That's a shame.  The kid was a great punter and looked forward to having him for another two seasons.

40 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

That's a shame.  The kid was a great punter and looked forward to having him for another two seasons.

It'll be out soon enough what he did. Remember these are young adults and mistakes are made. I'm older and I

guarantee everybody will makes mistakes along the road they regret. I'm sure he's already upset at himself for getting and messing up a second chance. 

• Upvote 1

Spring Football 2-Deep is interesting; may reflect the early favorites to start in 2016: http://www.undsports.com/pdf9/4572417.pdf

QB Keaton Studsrud

TB John Santiago

FB Jacob Francis (spot to watch)

TE Luke Mathewson (spot to watch) 

Z Clive Georges

X Luke Stanley

LT AJ Stockwell

LG Dan Bell (spot to watch)

C Grant Aplin (spot to watch)

RG Demon Taylor (spot to watch)

RT Matt Cox (spot to watch)

LE Noah Johnson

RE Brandon Dranka

NG Tank Harris

WOLB Brian Labat

WILB Connor O'Brien

SILB Taj Rich

SOLB Jake Disterhaupt 

LCB Deion Harris

RCB Tyus Carter

Rover Cole Reyes

SS Zach Arnell

K  Reid Taubenehim

P  Jacob Meeks (spot to watch)

LS Jacob Holmen

INJURED FOR SPRING BALL: 3 Tyus Carter (So., 5-11, 180) 5 Brady Oliveira (So., 5-10, 220) 8 Cole Reyes (Jr., 6-2, 220) 20 Zach Arnell (Jr., 6-2, 195) 32 Taj Rich (Sr., 6-1, 230) 61 Brandon Miller (Jr., 6-5, 315

12 hours ago, shep said:

SFI indicates Tony Roland not on the roster. Wasn't he supposed to be another good one?? Weren't some posters suggesting that as recently as a month ago?

No. Tony Roland was never one that I saw touted as a for-sure difference maker. He never really stood out last fall. Tyler Coyne (before his season ender), Josh Leonhard and Francis had much better reps during practices. 

4 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm thinking of someone else then. I confused Roland with a RB that looked good as a RS last season. Do you know who I mean?

Cuz, I don't!

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210111402&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Austin Gordon, who redshirted during the 2015 season. He won the 2015 offensive scout of the year award. He has potential to contribute to an already deep RB corps (Santiago, Olivera, Norberg, Nevermann). Amazing what a year can do in terms of depth at tailback; last year this time, tailback was a concern. Now, it appears to be a strength. Need to get the new-look offensive line rolling now, though. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210111402&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Austin Gordon, who redshirted during the 2015 season. He won the 2015 offensive scout of the year award. He has potential to contribute to an already deep RB corps (Santiago, Olivera, Norberg, Nevermann). Amazing what a year can do in terms of depth at tailback; last year this time, tailback was a concern. Now, it appears to be a strength. Need to get the new-look offensive line rolling now, though. 

I'm looking forward to them addressing QB and WR in the same way.

• Upvote 1