SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

QB situation is not settled yet, that's for sure. It's ongoing. I too think UND needs to be more aggressive with that position. Studsrud is the starter, but there needs to be more top-end competition. Bubba and his staff need to bring in multiple QBs via either scholarship freshmen or transfers. For 2016, UND will have only 3 realistic QB options and only 1 of them is likely capable to lead this team to "big" wins; that is not ideal. Coach Schweigert and Coach Rudy need to adjust this situation; it's a priority moving forward. 

Good news about the other weak areas - OL, WR, and DB - is that those spots have freshman coming in from the 2016 recruiting class. 

My feeling is different then most on the db situation.  Even though there is not a single senior in the secondary these guys have game time experience and have superb talent.  Two starters, Deion and tyus return as does jahmere( Mississippi st) and a newbie hunt ( navy).  Add to that a one time starter Chris carter and flowers.  That's 3 deep at each cb position. If needed holm could have his shirt pulled as he oozes talent.  At safety we return 3 year starter and to be all American Reyes and his partner from last year, arnell.   Backups palmborg ( might be starter) and the talented tucker. If needed I would guess jawon could go back as well.   I really like this group and gaining the experience as a very young group last year will only make them better. In this style of defense, the secondary has huge amounts of pressure set on them. Last year they realized it and hope we see major improvements.  

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

When watching the broadcast they were saying Arnell may have to fight his way back with the way Palmborg has looked.

This is great news. The very definition of the level of competition that we need on this team. Whoever is going to be the starter needs to EARN it, and who ever is the backup will still be very good. Sounding like Palmborg is going to be a very good player, and earn a scholarship ... he was a walk on, right?

42 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This is great news. The very definition of the level of competition that we need on this team. Whoever is going to be the starter needs to EARN it, and who ever is the backup will still be very good. Sounding like Palmborg is going to be a very good player, and earn a scholarship ... he was a walk on, right?

Walk on correct!  Very intelligent young man as well.  Great determination and instincts. Loves to get after it and because of that I enjoy watching.  

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:06 PM, Longtime fan said:

Walk on correct!  Very intelligent young man as well.  Great determination and instincts. Loves to get after it and because of that I enjoy watching.  

Palmborg - Saw him at Scheels picking out a new jock strap.  Santiago caused him to leave his on the field on that swing pass.  I wonder if Reyes makes that play or maybe Santiago is too quick for anyone to make that play.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Palmborg - Saw him at Scheels picking out a new jock strap.  Santiago caused him to leave his on the field on that swing pass.  I wonder if Reyes makes that play or maybe Santiago is too quick for anyone to make that play.

Lol.  Santiago is an all American for a reason.  Including Reyes, I'm sure no one in the fcs could make that play.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

The only time Santiago touched the ball during the scrimmage and it was fun to watch....

He's a special talent...need to use the bruisers Olivera and Nevermann readily so that Santiago doesn't get worn down during the regular season....

Having an established backfield and QB gives the offense a ton of potential in 2016...just need to solidify offensive line and wideouts (Stanley and Georges are capable)...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The only time Santiago touched the ball during the scrimmage and it was fun to watch....

He's a special talent...need to use the bruisers Olivera and Nevermann readily so that Santiago doesn't get worn down during the regular season....

Having an established backfield and QB gives the offense a ton of potential in 2016...just need to solidify offensive line and wideouts (Stanley and Georges are capable)...

Still any potential for an incoming transfer or two?

With Nevermann looking as good as he does, and having Olivera it will be interesting to see if they put in more plays with Santiago at WR.   I know they want to get him in space so I'm sure they will have a few new things.   Just splitting him out will give the defense something else to be worried about, even if it's just a decoy. Nevermann in the backfield, Clive split wide on one side with Santiago on the other side........who do you focus on. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Still any potential for an incoming transfer or two?

Have to think its a possibility, but it would have to be the right fit. If the kid isn't really talented, then I doubt the staff would take a chance since they want to develop the younger receivers on the roster (e.g., Stetson Carr, Tim Dulin, Carter Blackwell, Travis Toivonen, Noah Wanzek, Alex Cloyd, etc.). 

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

With Nevermann looking as good as he does, and having Olivera it will be interesting to see if they put in more plays with Santiago at WR.   I know they want to get him in space so I'm sure they will have a few new things.   Just splitting him out will give the defense something else to be worried about, even if it's just a decoy. Nevermann in the backfield, Clive split wide on one side with Santiago on the other side........who do you focus on. 

I'm sure Santiago will split out wide on several occasions this season. Don't be mistaken, Santiago is a tailback first and foremost and needs to play that position primarily; however, getting him the ball in space by splitting him out wide will only put more pressure on the defense. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

They will focus on offense the next time they get the ball.  Which will be in a couple plays.  Maybe one.

The wr position has me the most worried.  Not enough "burners" or "separators".   Santiago might have to step in occasionally or often to make that position respected by opposing defenses.  The wr's need to be able to separate so the qb can make a quick decision as his time in the pocket is very minimal.  No separation means the qb has three options: take the sack, run, or throw it into tight coverage which could lead to  an int!  Taking a sack and running you risk the chance of injury.  We cannot afford to lose Keaton!!  I'm not comfortable with any of the wr's at this particular time other then Clive to be able to get separation.  I was expecting iwarri to fulfill some of this need but.....  Seibel was fantastically crisp at route running which lead him to being able to separate but.....They need to put in extra time and dedication this summer with the workout and training program as this will be crucial, along with attrition.  Cannot afford to lose anymore.