SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

11 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hopefully moving Iwarri from RB to WR can pay the same dividends as moving Santiago from WR to RB.... thats not asking for too much, is it?

Iwarri Smith All-American WR in 2016................................................

4 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

OK... here we go!

Let me just start off with a hearty "Hallelujah!" for the HPC!  The hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I walk into that beast of a building.

1. Bubba preached more urgency and crispness during drills. Tried to get the boys attention that this stuff if for real now and they can't just hear what the coaches are saying, they need to really listen and execute.

2. After practice huddle: Bubble told the team to go to the Betty this afternoon at 2 p.m. to support WBB against MSU. He said Mia Loyd is tough and her play is worth the price of admission alone. Coach Freund, quickly piped in "But don't skip class!!!"  What Bubba didn't say was that there will be an NBA Hall of Famer in the building this afternoon, as former Jazz great John Stockton is an assistant with MSU. 

3. This just in:  Cole Reyes is one tough mutha F@##$%.  He is out there practicing with the team in the same gear as the rest of the team with a big old cast on his left forearm. He doesn't sit out any drills and goes as hard as you'd expect. He is truly UND football tough int the traditional sense.

4. Clive was running wild today. Nobody could cover him(and that's not a knock on the secondary)and he was sucking in every ball like a vacuum. He hauled in one that would have been good for a TD from 60+ out, and he pulled in another tough grab that would have went for long yardage. He looked like he was having fun out there.

5. Heidelbaugh started out fine in drills but was a bit unsettled with his footwork once things went uptempo in skelly work, causing several balls to sail on him. Studs and Bartels looked fine.

6. If you can believe this --- Santiago looks to have even sharper cuts through the line and more burst once hes' in the open. Stay tuned. If the line can gel who knows how far he'll go.

7. I liked what I saw from Stetson Carr at WR... he's a bigger version of Seibel and was featured a lot today with intermediate over the middle pass plays. He hauled in all but one that was broken up by a good play by an ILB.  If I remember correctly, he had a really good spring two years ago but eventually left the the team. Glad he's back!

8. A newbie that showed flashes today was DB Torrey Hunt, wearing #16.  The kid had a really nice break on one pass play where he picked it off just before it hit the receivers hands and he took it for what would have been a sure 6 points. He looks very fast albeit a bit thin at this point. I was impressed with his showing given is lack of familiarity with the defensive schemes. 

That's it for today.  I will try to get out there again tomorrow morning.

Enjoy!

Thanks, it's greatly appreciated

Crap, I forgot a big one. Joe Francis at TE looks like the real deal. In fact, he looked down right impressive out there this morning. He hauled in every pass that came his way and had nice quickness after the catch. His size and relative speed looked really good.

• Upvote 3

Hunt is going to be a wild card in my opinion.  Doesn't really seem like a true freshman with his year at Navy Prep.  I'm hoping that he has a good spring and is someone we can count on sucking up some minutes next year. 

Agree on Carr - everyone thought he was going to be a good one while he was sitting out due to the transfer rules.  Glad he's looking good.

The kids I'm most curious about for the Spring are Hunt, Heidlebaugh, Vashon Tucker, Grant Alpin, Mason Bennett, Donnell Rodgers, Tim Dulin, Jacob Meeks.  Also interested in the position changes for Mollberg and I. Smith.  Can't wait for the daily updates Teeder!

1 minute ago, Hambone said:

Hunt is going to be a wild card in my opinion.  Doesn't really seem like a true freshman with his year at Navy Prep.  I'm hoping that he has a good spring and is someone we can count on sucking up some minutes next year. 

Agree on Carr - everyone thought he was going to be a good one while he was sitting out due to the transfer rules.  Glad he's looking good.

The kids I'm most curious about for the Spring are Hunt, Heidlebaugh, Vashon Tucker, Grant Alpin, Mason Bennett, Donnell Rodgers, Tim Dulin, Jason Meeks.  Also interested in the position changes for Mollberg and I. Smith.  Can't wait for the daily updates Teeder!

Of all the ones you mentioned specifically, I thought Hunt, Tucker, Smith and Dulin stood out the most. That is not to detract from the others.... they just didn't stand out. But sometimes it is easier for WR and DBs to stand out more early in spring and fall because of the no contact situations.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Was the new punter in the house kicking any balls?  Be interested to hear about him.   Thanks for the write up!

Not when I was there. I didn't spot him on the field as far as the number he's listed as on the roster. Taubs and MacGregor were in the house. They did not kick.

39 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

2.  What Bubba didn't say was that there will be an NBA Hall of Famer in the building this afternoon, as former Jazz great John Stockton is an assistant with MSU. 

That is a fun fact! I was a big Jazz fan during the Stockton/Malone years, might need to go home sick.

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

All hail Teeder!

Thanks, all!  geaux_sioux, not much to say about the O-line today but as things progress this spring and more contact is allowed, those developments should start to become more evident. Same with the DL.

Just now, Teeder11 said:

Thanks, all!  geaux_sioux, not much to say about the O-line today but as things progress this spring and more contact is allowed, those developments should start to become more evident. Same with the DL.

I expect my boy Aplin to make an impact.

5 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Thanks, Teeder - the time you put into this and your observations/comments are greatly appreciated! 

I second that!  Being way down here in Missouri, I appreciate your being willing to be the eyes and ears for those of us that can't be there in person.