SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football 2016

UNDColorado

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

I think I read they were going to cut a million for the athletic budget.

So we need to cut a million dollars and we need find another million to cover FCOA?    This could prove to be very interesting and then some.    Was this all thought through?

42 minutes ago, TRex said:

So we need to cut a million dollars and we need find another million to cover FCOA?    This could prove to be very interesting and then some.    Was this all thought through?

Literally the million dollar question,

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/extra-revenue-vacant-positions-solve-und-budget-shortfall/article_f0ccb39d-82ba-5074-9bfb-ee9a1f97d291.html

The UND Athletics Department contributed $1 million in both savings and increased revenue projections but Brekke said she did not know the exact breakdown.

Advertisement (1 of 1): 0:09

Whats the odds the Herald does some investigating? Or does one have to wait for Rob Port again?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Marketing works for anything.   I visit mexico annually and in their (locals) own words , corona is skunk piss!  Until they started marketing america they were in shambles.  Now people think it's a vacation in a bottle.  Best thing since sliced bread.  Yet they add enough lemon or lime to it that they are simply kiling the skunk.  All in the marketing.  Same applies to Jose Cuervo, locals won't touch that crap.

So the Miami Hurricanes went on a marketing blitz and then their football team took off.  I'm getting stupid here-

There is only one program that is marketed and that is men's hockey and the Ralph. Football is not on people's mind outside of Grand Forks unless it's NDSU football. Basketball is not talked about because UND has done nothing on the men's side while NDSU has won in the dance. We have big expensive new buildings and not a single trophy since 2001 to show for them. It's sad when you hear Bison you think sports, you hear UND you think nickname issues. Where are the Fighting Hawk billboards, what about a billboard of Bubba's team for 2016, nothing about Jones or Brewster's teams? Marketing for UND athletics is very, very poor especially compared to our closest rival.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

There is only one program that is marketed and that is men's hockey and the Ralph. Football is not on people's mind outside of Grand Forks unless it's NDSU football. Basketball is not talked about because UND has done nothing on the men's side while NDSU has won in the dance. We have big expensive new buildings and not a single trophy since 2001 to show for them. It's sad when you hear Bison you think sports, you hear UND you think nickname issues. Where are the Fighting Hawk billboards, what about a billboard of Bubba's team for 2016, nothing about Jones or Brewster's teams? Marketing for UND athletics is very, very poor especially compared to our closest rival.

But it's on you and me because we're not writing checks to fund it ourselves. :silly:

The small-time thinking of UND is so discouraging.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

Marketing works for anything.   I visit mexico annually and in their (locals) own words , corona is skunk piss!  Until they started marketing america they were in shambles.  Now people think it's a vacation in a bottle.  Best thing since sliced bread.  Yet they add enough lemon or lime to it that they are simply kiling the skunk.  All in the marketing.  Same applies to Jose Cuervo, locals won't touch that crap.

If und and or marketers could come up with ideas that promoted the "other" sports, not named hockey, as an event giving the people that don't really care about being there and watching a reason to come back.  I'm a hardcore football fan missing roughly four home games in 25 years, so I don't need anything other then the game but their are plenty of women and kids that aren't interested.  Yes the bandwagoners will slowly trickle in as the winning continues but und and the alerus need to step it up,   as well as the Betty.   Und has a fantastic promoter and the should use him...bubba!!!  

Again, my thoughts exactly 

in terms of football, go to a Vikings game, gophers football game, or even NDSU football game and just pay attention to the little things that the marketing/gameday staffs do. UND does very little to none of it, and the stuff they do actually do is done with very little effort. It's all about the amount of work UND just wants to do. They are lazy with non-hockey sports and it can't continue if und wants div I success 

thankfully bubba is building a winning program...if UND marketing can't pick up on this current momentum then that's piss poor 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

So the Miami Hurricanes went on a marketing blitz and then their football team took off.  I'm getting stupid here-

Miami hurricanes don't need marketing to take off.  Most fbs teams dont need marketing to take off.  A fcs team from North Dakota that has done nothing since becoming a d1 member less then a decade ago needs marketing.  Considering we have a new coach that's bleeds Kelly green and because of that fu$&@&$ team to the south, und needs marketing.  Bandwagoners, I believe, would like to come back and cheer on und more then they do the other team.  Theyre on the bandwagon, so the smallest of  things sways their mind.  For us true fans, which there are plenty, I could watch und at hallock and be happy, it's the bandwagoners that need something else to show up. Winning doesn't always keep people in the seats, so you need to occupy them with something "special".  Thats why they have marketing.  Ideas!!  Winning obviously helps but und and the alerus has done ZERO to attract the not so hard core fan.  Give them a reason to go! Start with educating the people about the conference teams.   Southern utah is more then a direction in a state,  it's a fb team that made the playoffs and play in the big sky!   We no longer play augustana and mankato. Hype up the teams that not only will play at the alerus but the ones on he road as well.   We now have the product and coach to compete with 95%  of the teams in fcs and they are winning.  A year away from doing special things.   It's time the "marketing team " acknowledges und has a football team!     I might add that I hope the students could spare a couple hours of their busy Saturdays to actually attend a game.  That was incredible when they showed up and  you could hear them.   Miss those days 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

but hey just email jason and his minions with some good ideas and they'll get back to ya.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Again, my thoughts exactly 

in terms of football, go to a Vikings game, gophers football game, or even NDSU football game and just pay attention to the little things that the marketing/gameday staffs do. UND does very little to none of it, and the stuff they do actually do is done with very little effort. It's all about the amount of work UND just wants to do. They are lazy with non-hockey sports and it can't continue if und wants div I success 

thankfully bubba is building a winning program...if UND marketing can't pick up on this current momentum then that's piss poor 

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, doesn't this all start with the AD, and ultimately the president of the university? If marketing is a priority, and the effort and results aren't there, at some point that becomes a leadership issue. The priorities will be reevaluated once a new president is named, I would hope.

Also - I'll cut them a bit of slack. It's pretty tough to put a lot of effort into marketing when you don't have a name or a logo to work with.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

At the risk of exposing my ignorance, doesn't this all start with the AD, and ultimately the president of the university? If marketing is a priority, and the effort and results aren't there, at some point that becomes a leadership issue. The priorities will be reevaluated once a new president is named, I would hope.

Also - I'll cut them a bit of slack. It's pretty tough to put a lot of effort into marketing when you don't have a name or a logo to work with.

But But Butt Money.

• Upvote 1

it's painful to bring back bad memories, but let this serve as a reminder to what UND needs to work on this off-season and spring ball.

This right here is some of the worst 1-on-1 pass defense I've seen...

This needs to improve ... and i would like to think it will because all of these players will have the opportunity to learn from this and come back next year better and prepared

also, UND QB play was atrocious in this game...emphasizes the importance of QB depth and QB play

Studsrud's last three games of 2015 were very good, so spring ball should really have the spotlight on:

1) defensive secondary coverage technique and execution

2) QB play and QB depth - Studsrud, Bartels, and Heidlebaugh need to work on decision-making and chemistry with receivers .... HPC should help with this

3) offensive line play... obviously 4 of 5 2015 starters are gone which will make the offensive line a key position group in spring ball

• Upvote 1

Back in our Division II days both UND and NDSU had their own pro days.  Mainly because each school had 5-6 NFL prospects on their rosters at a given time.  That stopped when UND began the drought in talent that occurred during the Mussman era.  I'd expect that to change in another year or two.  It's beneficial to athletes at both NDSU and UND to have two different pro days to potentially showcase their talents for NFL scouts. 

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

it's painful to bring back bad memories, but let this serve as a reminder to what UND needs to work on this off-season and spring ball.

This right here is some of the worst 1-on-1 pass defense I've seen...

This needs to improve ... and i would like to think it will because all of these players will have the opportunity to learn from this and come back next year better and prepared

also, UND QB play was atrocious in this game...emphasizes the importance of QB depth and QB play

Studsrud's last three games of 2015 were very good, so spring ball should really have the spotlight on:

1) defensive secondary coverage technique and execution

2) QB play and QB depth - Studsrud, Bartels, and Heidlebaugh need to work on decision-making and chemistry with receivers .... HPC should help with this

3) offensive line play... obviously 4 of 5 2015 starters are gone which will make the offensive line a key position group in spring ball

Yes. Yes. And yes.  

Oh dear lord I will never get over the loss of Grady!!!   With his combination of size and speed he moved anyone anywhere anything...damn!  What he did as a true freshman is simply amazing!!  The o line will be talented,  just going to take many games for them gel and get the experience as a collective group to where they need to be.  

Und has talented defensive backs that can run with and be hooked up with the wrs, just simply lack the fundamentals.  Frustrating. I personally see a big big improvement.   I hope so anyways.  

Two of my big concerns were the punt return and the kickoff return teams.   Need returners that have a great feel for the game and have the quickness to excel.  Someone with a kamikaze mind frame would do!  Ok, not necessarily but just sprinkle in a little crazy.  A major nemisis last year was kickoff team.  Many teams returned a good amount of yards against us last year.  Need to shore it up.  Special teams are very crucial as they can lose or win many games. Very underrated.   A good portion of field possession is usually dictated by the special teams.   

44 minutes ago, TRex said:

Champions Club gifted $2.8 million last year.  It has risen every year from when the REA's first year, when $1.3 million was gifted.  This year, UND can't give as much institutionally to support athletics.  Not sure where the money will come from.

44 minutes ago, TRex said:

Since we were talking about funding here, I'll ask this, does anyone know what Champions Club raised last year?   TIA

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Champions Club gifted $2.8 million last year.  It has risen every year from when the REA's first year, when $1.3 million was gifted.  This year, UND can't give as much institutionally to support athletics.  Not sure where the money will come from.

Thanks.   Since the donations have continued to rise it would appear that all the gloom and doom over losing funds because of the name change were vastly overstated.   Good to see that cooler heads have prevailed.

8 minutes ago, TRex said:

Thanks.   Since the donations have continued to rise it would appear that all the gloom and doom over losing funds because of the name change were vastly overstated.   Good to see that cooler heads have prevailed.

That doesn't count Foundation athletic endowments giving or royalties on Fighting Sioux gear.  Royalties are next to nothing now, but those weren't designated for athletics anyway.

2 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

I am assuming there are a few sports medicine guys on this forum. What do you guys think of the end range loading these players are getting when they're maxing out on Olympic lifts? Safe? Not safe and may be leading to a higher injury rate?

Lower rate of injury because they're getting stronger and more flexible. Safe if done right. Baukol does a phenomenal job of teaching olympic lifts. It's a very slow process at UND and they do it right. If you look at lifting videos of other schools of any level and compare them to UND you will be surprised at how good our guys are at Olympic lifts. 

• Upvote 2