SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Red River starting a goalie with 83% save percentage, yet they are undefeated...:unsure:

If you don't see a lot of shots you aren't always as sharp when you finally see one. Devils Lake had 3 shots on goal against Red River in 1 game this year, 1 in each period. They scored on the shot in the second period.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The Grand Forks Heraldo weighed in on this topic this morning:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3955721-state-hockey-future-state-hockey-gf-looking-bleak

So let me get this straight. The only sport that Grand Forks is a "preferred site" for now is tennis?!?! Are you *bleeping* kidding me?!?! Is this someone's idea of a bad joke?!?! Grand Forks isn't Fargo or Bismarck, but it isn't Mapes either. The idea that Grand Forks will be stuck with tennis, while everybody else gets something is outrageous and is not acceptable. If any tournament belongs in Grand Forks, it is hockey. Football probably belongs in Fargo. Class B boys and girls basketball probably belongs in Bismarck or Minot. You could make the argument that everything else can be rotated around the four major cities every few years. But apparently that isn't going to happen. :angry:

And Bismarck better be careful, or else the "State B" will be headed east to Imperial Cass County too. ???

And the worst part is, nobody in Grand Forks seems to care. Or at least I haven't heard it. :(

I hear you guy about hockey in GF (it belongs at the Ralph, rink of dreams!) but money talks so the Ralph needs to give a better deal in order to compete with Fargo rink.

11 hours ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Its getting better now it seems.  Bismarck beats Davies to open the tournament.  Anyone have any idea if there are plans for Bismarck Legacy to add hockey?

My son is 9 and in mites.  We also live in the Legacy district.  The rumors around Bismarck are that by the time my son's in high school, they still may not have a team.  Ice availability is a major issue in Bismarck and no one seems too concerned about it, unfortunately.  

On 2/25/2016 at 9:37 PM, BeazSioux said:

Is there anyway to watch the games if you don't have midco?  

I watch it on an indoor antennae, you can get at Target/Walmart etc. You get about 20 extra channels but its free channels including WDAY/Z's Xtra channel which broadcasts local sporting events. I have Directv but this is nice especially if local channels start having contract disputes with bigger companies.

46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I watch it on an indoor antennae, you can get at Target/Walmart etc. You get about 20 extra channels but its free channels including WDAY/Z's Xtra channel which broadcasts local sporting events. I have Directv but this is nice especially if local channels start having contract disputes with bigger companies.

I tried two different recommended at Best Buy indoor antennas, and while I scanned in multiple channels, I could not get the WDAZ mux. I'll have to go into the attic or on the roof with a db4e or similar to get it done.

Grand Forks transmitters

8 hours ago, BeazSioux said:

My son is 9 and in mites.  We also live in the Legacy district.  The rumors around Bismarck are that by the time my son's in high school, they still may not have a team.  Ice availability is a major issue in Bismarck and no one seems too concerned about it, unfortunately.  

Bismarck is not a big hockey town. If it was they would of had another sheet of ice or 2 years ago because they have needed it. Sounds like they are finally getting one added to the Shaumberg Arena. Still baffles me how a town with 5 high schools only has 1 girls team and 2 boys teams.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Bismarck is not a big hockey town. If it was they would of had another sheet of ice or 2 years ago because they have needed it. Sounds like they are finally getting one added to the Shaumberg Arena. Still baffles me how a town with 5 high schools only has 1 girls team and 2 boys teams.

Look no further than their basketball teams.  Like you said, not a big hockey town.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I hear you guy about hockey in GF (it belongs at the Ralph, rink of dreams!) but money talks so the Ralph needs to give a better deal in order to compete with Fargo rink.

The gate was $30,000 higher in Fargo than the previous year in Grand Forks, the cost of the rinks were only $10,000 less. The attendance issue is bigger than the facilities cost issue at this point but the article did state they were working with the REA to bring facilities cost down.

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Here's another solution: Move the tournament to Purpur Arena. The lower attendance we have been getting for this tournament should fit nicely. The atmosphere and energy would be amazing. The consolation games on Friday afternoon wouldn't feel so empty in there vs. REA. And the rent should be much, much lower. You also have Gambucci Arena right next door and the Eagles Arena across town if you still want to have both girls and boys tournaments in the same city. The GFC and GFRR regular-season games are a Purpur now and the atmosphere has been amazing for those games. Imagine what a State title game would be like!

I hope somebody is at least thinking about this. The idea that Grand Forks will be stuck with nothing but state tennis in the future is nauseating. We aren't Mapes for Pete's Sake.

1 hour ago, sprig said:

I tried two different recommended at Best Buy indoor antennas, and while I scanned in multiple channels, I could not get the WDAZ mux. I'll have to go into the attic or on the roof with a db4e or similar to get it done.

Grand Forks transmitters

Maybe it depends how far from towers you are too. We bought the expensive one (70 bucks I think) that Target had and put it on our living room wall next to our north facing window and we get 23 channels (on a clear day) a couple channels can be a little wavy but for the most part we get all 23 pretty clear. Not bad for a one time payment.

2 hours ago, sprig said:

Grand Forks transmitters

Dude ... you're posting here, so you must have access to the interwebs. ;)

I watched part of the Minot / WF game last night on WDAY.com. 

Hot linky to the vids: http://www.wday.com/live-video/3955349

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dude ... you're posting here, so you must have access to the interwebs. ;)

I watched part of the Minot / WF game last night on WDAY.com. 

Hot linky to the vids: http://www.wday.com/live-video/3955349

Actually, I was working men's BB in the Betty, I tried the ota antennas last fall  to get the pure HD picture ota offers (it's much better than cable or satellite hd). I was really trying to get the transmitter to the NE that has MN public TV for the Bemidji State games. I actually get all this stuff on cable, just trying for the better feed.Would have kept it for just the networks from the other transmitters if I'd been able to get the WDAZ mux.

Keep tourneys where they belong

class b basketball should be in Bismarck.  If you live out west, billings or rapid city are as close or closer than fargo.  Why should anyone have to drive to fargo?

fargo should never have the class b

hockey belongs in grand forks, Fargo can have what's left over.