SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Do you realize how many years the west went without winning a single first round game at this tournament following Minot's breakthrough title in 1992? And the #1 west seed would frequently lose to the #4 east seed by multiple goals. It was embarrassing. But it is nice to see western teams having success at the state tournament.

Yea, I realize the years without winning a first-round game. Ā However, given the population in GF and Fargo compared to western towns like Minot, Williston, and Dickinson, I can't say the results have been all that surprising. Ā I guess I just choose to not label western teams of high school kids as "embarrassing." Ā 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, I realize the years without winning a first-round game. Ā However, given the population in GF and Fargo compared to western towns like Minot, Williston, and Dickinson, I can't say the results have been all that surprising. Ā I guess I just choose to not label western teams of high school kids as "embarrassing." Ā 

It was embarrassing for the kids of those teams. Basically, the west was playing for the 5th place trophy every year. And Minot has only one high school (not counting Bishop Ryan) which meansĀ all their best players are on one team, so I wouldn't classify them as a "small town" team. But fortunately, this has changed and you are seeing Bismarck and Minot competing for championships on a somewhat regular basis. That is good for hockey in North Dakota.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It was embarrassing for the kids of those teams. Basically, the west was playing for the 5th place trophy every year. And Minot has only one high school (not counting Bishop Ryan) which meansĀ all their best players are on one team, so I wouldn't classify them as a "small town" team. But fortunately, this has changed and you are seeing Bismarck and Minot competing for championships on a somewhat regular basis. That is good for hockey in North Dakota.

I'd hardly classify playing any game in any sportĀ in a state tournament as an embarrassment. Ā 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoa whoa whoa, girls get CUT from the team? Ā Does any studentĀ who tries out for the girls' team at RR or Fargo South getĀ sprinkles? Ā 

........only if they are winners.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoa whoa whoa, girls get CUT from the team? Ā Does any studentĀ who tries out for the girls' team at RR or Fargo South getĀ sprinkles? Ā 

Girls hockey needs more teams. It's been stuck at 11 teams for 7 years now. Bismarck adds another and you are at 12 and could have a east and west region. It's about growing the sport not the trophy case.Ā 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Ā Bismarck draws from 5 high schools. (Century, High, Legacy, Shiloh, St Mary's)Ā 

Would be like North, South, Shanley, Davies and Oak Grove all pooling together to form one team. Makes no sense. Bismarck can do better especially if Mandan, Williston and Dickinson can field one team each.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Okay, you are totally missing the point. But it's 1:00am Sunday morning and I have to get some sleep. Peace out. :xmas:

So on one hand, the western boys teams are an embarrassment for losing...

...and on the other hand, the Bismarck girls teamĀ is an embarrassment for WINNING? Ā 

Ā 

22 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Girls hockey needs more teams. It's been stuck at 11 teams for 7 years now. Bismarck adds another and you are at 12 and could have a east and west region. It's about growing the sport not the trophy case.Ā 

I don'tĀ disagree -Ā Bismarck should split things up. Ā ButĀ if they weren't winning state titles, Fargo and GF would be mocking them for failing to do so with all thoseĀ schools to recruit from.

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So on one hand, the western boys teams are an embarrassment for losing...

...and on the other hand, the Bismarck girls teamĀ is an embarrassment for WINNING? Ā 

Ā 

Minot was graduating the most or second most in the state I believe when I was in high school. So saying it's not surprising to see GF and Fargo schools do better based on population doesn't really add up.

No reason for Bismarck to be represented by one team in any sport. That's nonsense and anti-competitive. Ā 

Ā 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, Johnboy, maybe NDSU should split into two football teams because FCS is anti-competitive for them and they're winning too many championships?

MM I don't think you are getting the point. Now I know 99% of folks here could give 2 craps about girls or women's hockey and I was in the same boat until I coached HS girls hockey. The thing is the sport will grow if girls from age say 7-12 know they can play for high school team regardless if they are an all star at it. It's what is happening in Bismarck now abd has been for 4-5 years. Same thing in GF. Hopefully it gets done it both cities.

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

But didn't you hear? High school sports is all about the $$$$$ now! It's no different from college or professional sports! That's why Fargo needs to have all the high school tournaments! Next step is to pay the players and have free agency so the "market" can work it's magic! (extreme sarcasm) :silly::angry:

All sarcasm aside, I agree with you. Bismarck having an all-star team when there are enough kids to field three teams is absolutely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

MM I don't think you are getting the point. Now I know 99% of folks here could give 2 craps about girls or women's hockey and I was in the same boat until I coached HS girls hockey. The thing is the sport will grow if girls from age say 7-12 know they can play for high school team regardless if they are an all star at it. It's what is happening in Bismarck now abd has been for 4-5 years. Same thing in GF. Hopefully it gets done it both cities.

I believe he is trolling. Don't feed the beast.

• Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But didn't you hear? High school sports is all about the $$$$$ now! It's no different from college or professional sports! That's why Fargo needs to have all the high school tournaments! Next step is to pay the players and have free agency so the "market" can work it's magic! (extreme sarcasm) :silly::angry:

All sarcasm aside, I agree with you. Bismarck having an all-star team when there are enough kids to field three teams is absolutely ridiculous.

They basically have free agency, or did when I was in school late 2000's. I'm looking at you Bismarck High and West Fargo wrestling...

14 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Yes they have the numbers and yes they cut.Ā 

Interesting. I asked a friend who works at Parks and Rec in Bismarck about it and he said they don't have the numbers in the girls program to feed more teams? He said most of the girls in their 19u program are young so I took that to mean that they don't really have any sophomores, juniors, or seniors playing?

11 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Interesting. I asked a friend who works at Parks and Rec in Bismarck about it and he said they don't have the numbers in the girls program to feed more teams? He said most of the girls in their 19u program are young so I took that to mean that they don't really have any sophomores, juniors, or seniors playing?

That's because a lot of them are forced out because of one high school team. They don't want to play a U19 schedule when they are sophomores, juniors , or seniors. I assure you if there was another high school team these older girls who don't make the current all star team would continue to play.

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

That's because a lot of them are forced out because of one high school team. They don't want to play a U19 schedule when they are sophomores, juniors , or seniors. I assure you if there was another high school team these older girls who don't make the current all star team would continue to play.

I can see that. When the writing is on the wall kids will move onto something else.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They basically have free agency, or did when I was in school late 2000's. I'm looking at you Bismarck High and West Fargo wrestling...

I think they tweaked the rules so if you transfer from one high school to another, you have to sit out one year. Why else is Warroad struggling at boys hockey when they used to dominate Section 8A year after year?

• Downvote 1