SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think they tweaked the rules so if you transfer from one high school to another, you have to sit out one year. Why else is Warroad struggling at boys hockey when they used to dominate Section 8A year after year.

My daughter got recruited by Warroad 7 years ago after she went to a camp up there. She did not like it up there. Worked out good though as I got to coach her all 4 years in high school here.:)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bismarck, Century, Legacy, St. Mary's, Shiloh. Three publics, two private. 

Toss in Mandan for the metro area.

Compare to metro Greater Grand Forks: 

GFC, GFRR, EGF, Sacred Heart. Three publics, one private. 

Technically, EGF has another private school that coops with Sacred Heart:  Riverside.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They basically have free agency, or did when I was in school late 2000's. I'm looking at you Bismarck High and West Fargo wrestling...

I know West Fargo did some recruiting. Bismarck had open enrollment to some degree but pretty tough to say anything when the other public school(Century) was also dominant compared to the rest of the state.

6 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Whoa whoa whoa, girls get CUT from the team?  Does any student who tries out for the girls' team at RR or Fargo South get sprinkles?  

In fairness, he was giving some insight to my question. The Bismarck team has been dominant and I was wondering if they had enough girls in their youth programs to justify having additional school teams and it appears they do.

I see the Bismarck A bantam team beat Fargo AA last week. I realize it would be tough for Bismarck to play a AA schedule as Grand Forks and Fargo just play mostly Minnesota teams but is seams that Bismarck could maybe have more than one A team?

Fargo has 1 AA team, 1 A team, 2 B1 teams and 2 B teams while Bismarck has one A team, 1 B1 team and 1 B team. ....on a side note, I believe that the Fargo AA team are all Davies kids except 1. 

Going to watch GF and Fargo today at 3:45.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Bismarck, Century, Legacy, St. Mary's, Shiloh. Three publics, two private. 

Toss in Mandan for the metro area.

Compare to metro Greater Grand Forks: 

GFC, GFRR, EGF, Sacred Heart. Three publics, one private. 

Shouldn't you then toss in Mandan to the High Schools?

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I believe he is trolling. Don't feed the beast.

No, I'm not.  You are the most Grand Forks-centric poster on the board and have no problem with pretty much anything that benefits GF, nevermind the rest of the state.  Support your hometown, that's cool and all, but...  

Just out of curiosity, if you had been a 16 year old sophomore on the first-ever Dickinson High School team that made its way to REA, would you have stayed home because of the potential "embarrassment" that awaited you at the hands of Red River in the first round?  

Bitch and moan all you want about Bismarck, one would think that the two high schools in Grand Forks, the hockey capital of North Dakota, would each be able to field their own team.  Just sayin'... 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

No, I'm not.  You are the most Grand Forks-centric poster on the board and have no problem with pretty much anything that benefits GF, nevermind the rest of the state.  Support your hometown, that's cool and all, but...  

Just out of curiosity, if you had been a 16 year old sophomore on the first-ever Dickinson High School team that made its way to REA, would you have stayed home because of the potential "embarrassment" that awaited you at the hands of Red River in the first round?  

Bitch and moan all you want about Bismarck, one would think that the two high schools in Grand Forks, the hockey capital of North Dakota, would each be able to field their own team.  Just sayin'... 

Hazen-Beulah's best Class A success in any sport was in hockey in the early 2000's. I know people loved that we were competing to win WDA and were plenty happy making it to state and getting to play at the Ralph. I'm sure none of those guys are embarrassed that they were competing with Minot, Williston, and the Bismarck schools for a small period of time.

Should every other town in the state be embarrassed that Bismarck High wins every wrestling state tournament and the rare time they don't, Century wins it? Should Grand Forks kids be embarrassed that they don't compete in any sport besides hockey? 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BeazSioux said:

Judas chill bro.  My phone didn't refresh quickly enough, and when it did I realized I had posted what had been repeatedly posted.  My bad.  Didn't worry about trying to delete it.  Relax.

Didn't realize I freaked out with my post. I think you need to relax son. 

19 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Hazen-Beulah's best Class A success in any sport was in hockey in the early 2000's. I know people loved that we were competing to win WDA and were plenty happy making it to state and getting to play at the Ralph. I'm sure none of those guys are embarrassed that they were competing with Minot, Williston, and the Bismarck schools for a small period of time.

Should every other town in the state be embarrassed that Bismarck High wins every wrestling state tournament and the rare time they don't, Century wins it? Should Grand Forks kids be embarrassed that they don't compete in any sport besides hockey? 

Maybe the smaller teams should have their own tournament.  Langdon, Crosby, Watford City, Rugby could separate from Bottineau and Park River can separate from Grafton.  Wahpeton can join.  Mayport and Northwood could join.  Make it AA and A tournament.  Smaller Class A teams like Shanley, Jamestown, Devils Lake, St Mary's would participate to the lower level.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Maybe the smaller teams should have their own tournament.  Langdon, Crosby, Watford City, Rugby could separate from Bottineau and Park River can separate from Grafton.  Wahpeton can join.  Mayport and Northwood could join.  Make it AA and A tournament.  Smaller Class A teams like Shanley, Jamestown, Devils Lake, St Mary's would participate to the lower level.

St. Mary's has like 3 players or did when I played at Century in 2000.

8 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Well, somebody has to stick up for Grand Forks. Otherwise, all it would be is Fargo this and Fargo that. There is intelligent life north of Harwood, west of Casselton and south of Horace, even if the Imperial Cass County media likes to think otherwise.

You continue to miss the point over and over again, but I will indulge you: Don't you think that 16 year old sophomore was getting tired of hearing how bad the west region was at hockey and how they would probably never win a state title again? Don't think that talk didn't go on, it did because some years it felt like it was true. But thankfully, it has turned out not to be true and the western teams are now very competitive with the east. And that is good for the sport.

The kids from the west obviously have always worked hard and did their best to compete, but they were simply overmatched for many years (except for the occasional Minot team). And no, I don't think they felt like "embarrassments" when they got to the state tournament and didn't win a game. But it couldn't have been much fun for them to come up short year after year. That is all I was saying with my original comment and you turned it into some mythical vendetta against 16 year old hockey players from the west region. That is why what you were doing was trolling.

Article in Forum and Herald today by Tom Miller suggests Fargo might be getting the state hockey tournament permamently starting in 2019. Fargo has it next year then it is scheduled for GF in 2018. Last year, 2015, in Fargo the gate was up $30000 while operating costs $10000 less. Not a math major but that is a $40000 bump for the NDHSAA. The Dakota Bowl in Fargo on average brought in $10000 more a year at the gate and that is why GF in 2014 probably hosted it's last Dakota Bowl in awhile. Right or wrong attendance and profitable dollars matter........Fargo provides both better than GF for both FB and hockey.

On a side note the Class B boys BB tournament should never be played outside of Bismarck. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Article in Forum and Herald today by Tom Miller suggests Fargo might be getting the state hockey tournament permamently starting in 2019. Fargo has it next year then it is scheduled for GF in 2018. Last year, 2015, in Fargo the gate was up $30000 while operating costs $10000 less. Not a math major but that is a $40000 bump for the NDHSAA. The Dakota Bowl in Fargo on average brought in $10000 more a year at the gate and that is why GF in 2014 probably hosted it's last Dakota Bowl in awhile. Right or wrong attendance and profitable dollars matter........Fargo provides both better than GF for both FB and hockey.

On a side note the Class B boys BB tournament should never be played outside of Bismarck. 

Don't know why they would think it should go to Fargo permanently.  Let's wait and see how it goes for Fargo when it isn't a novelty and they have had it there for a while.  Besides, the reason it doesn't do as well in Grand Forks is because there is so much more to do here! :wink:

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don't know why they would think it should go to Fargo permanently.  Let's wait and see how it goes for Fargo when it isn't a novelty and they have had it there for a while.  Besides, the reason it doesn't do as well in Grand Forks is because there is so much more to do here! :wink:

IF...and that's a big if...the NDHSAA can make tens of thousands of dollars per year more hosting hockey in Fargo than GF it is a no brainer plus the environment in Scheels for a tournament like this is much better IMO.  

But GF does have the Moon it is has that going for it!

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

To add to that, the 'A' Boys tournament should be in Bismarck every year or every other year, too.  Anyone who has been to the WDA when BHS, Mandan, St. Marys and Century are involved would agree.  Now add Legacy to that mix. 

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

IF...and that's a big if...the NDHSAA can make tens of thousands of dollars per year more hosting hockey in Fargo than GF it is a no brainer plus the environment in Scheels for a tournament like this is much better IMO.  

But GF does have the Moon it is has that going for it!

Just kind of mocking the tired rhetoric of gopher fans for why their attendance is poor. 

8 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Well, somebody has to stick up for Grand Forks. Otherwise, all it would be is Fargo this and Fargo that. There is intelligent life north of Harwood, west of Casselton and south of Horace, even if the Imperial Cass County media likes to think otherwise.

Just curious, did you attend the tournament this weekend?