SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

My guess is to make time for practice for UND and SCSU.

1 hour ago, ksixpack said:

If so that would be very petty as state tournament should take priority over womens practice, especially since Olympic is available

Idalski won't do North Dakota high school hockey any favors.

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'd say the University's athletic programs should have priority over a state tournament.

No practice should ever take priority over a state boys hockey tournament, especially a women's practice...get real.  It's decisions like this that will drive this tournament to Fargo on a regular basis

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

No practice should ever take priority over a state boys hockey tournament, especially a women's practice...get real.  It's decisions like this that will drive this tournament to Fargo on a regular basis

It is primarily a University of North Dakota facility. It was built to take care of UND programs. UND programs will always take priority. The NDHSAA has always known this.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

It is primarily a University of North Dakota facility. It was built to take care of UND programs. UND programs will always take priority. The NDHSAA has always known this.

So your standing by your statement that a women's hockey practice should take priority over the state boys hockey tournament?  Additionally consider that the Olympic arena sits empty next door.  Also consider that a large amount of students will miss additional class time to support their team.  And finally, all of this so a team that averages less attendance then all 8 boys high school hockey teams in the tournament does, can practice on the REA ice instead of the empty Olympic?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

I think it's already headed in that direction.  In talking with people in the know, they were very happy with how things went in Fargo last year.  That, along with what's being discussed in this thread now such as working around UND scheduling, playing games all over town - I believe in the past they've played games at the Ralph, the Olympic sheet, the Purpur - not sure about this year's schedule - that once the contract at the Ralph is up (not sure when that is) we'll see this tournament in Fargo a lot more.

19 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

So your standing by your statement that a women's hockey practice should take priority over the state boys hockey tournament?  Additionally consider that the Olympic arena sits empty next door.  Also consider that a large amount of students will miss additional class time to support their team.  And finally, all of this so a team that averages less attendance then all 8 boys high school hockey teams in the tournament does, can practice on the REA ice instead of the empty Olympic?

Practicing on an Olympic size rink does not give effective preparation for playing on an NHL size rink. If you could prepare for either one effectively on the other, UND wouldn't need the Olympic rink to practice on for games in Colorado College. And yes, UND women's hockey practice should take priority in a UND arena over the first round of North Dakota High School hockey tournament games. All it did was move the games by a couple of hours. Attendance of UND women's hockey has nothing to do with this arrangement.

Also, I'm pretty sure that this arrangement will not affect school attendance much, if at all. The Grand Forks schools, even grade schools, have Thursday and Friday off even though Red River plays in the evening session. If students were planning to come for a 1 o'clock game from anywhere other than Grand Forks it is highly unlikely that they would go to school for a couple of classes and then leave. If they are coming from Fargo or Bismarck or Minot or Dickinson to go to the tournament, they are not going to school on Thursday morning. So moving that game up a few hours isn't going to cause more of them to miss class in any significant numbers.

Basically, UND hockey program in a UND facility takes priority over non-UND program.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Practicing on an Olympic size rink does not give effective preparation for playing on an NHL size rink. If you could prepare for either one effectively on the other, UND wouldn't need the Olympic rink to practice on for games in Colorado College. And yes, UND women's hockey practice should take priority in a UND arena over the first round of North Dakota High School hockey tournament games. All it did was move the games by a couple of hours. Attendance of UND women's hockey has nothing to do with this arrangement.

Also, I'm pretty sure that this arrangement will not affect school attendance much, if at all. The Grand Forks schools, even grade schools, have Thursday and Friday off even though Red River plays in the evening session. If students were planning to come for a 1 o'clock game from anywhere other than Grand Forks it is highly unlikely that they would go to school for a couple of classes and then leave. If they are coming from Fargo or Bismarck or Minot or Dickinson to go to the tournament, they are not going to school on Thursday morning. So moving that game up a few hours isn't going to cause more of them to miss class in any significant numbers.

Basically, UND hockey program in a UND facility takes priority over non-UND program.

And that is why the state tourney needs to go to Fargo and stay there. With the extra rink attached to Scheels it will be the perfect venue without having to cater to someone else.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

And that is why the state tourney needs to go to Fargo and stay there. With the extra rink attached to Scheels it will be the perfect venue without having to cater to someone else.

This weekend Scheels Arena is hosting a Fargo Force game, then basketball regionals. Too many events are attracted to the main arenas of the big cities. It takes a lot to plan everything that comes up this time of year with hockey, basketball, wrestling, Fargo Force, UND hockey, and special circumstances that come up like a funeral last Monday. Would it be easier to include Minot and Bismarck in the rotation of the hockey tournament?  Could Purpur Arena be used during the tournament? 

40 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I believe the Chamber of Commerce, all the GF hotels and restaurants, all local hockey fans, and any one with a brain would strongly disagree with you.  To lose this tournament to Fargo for lame reasons you support is not acceptable and would be bad for the community.  From purely a money perspective, what brings in more money to this community:  a womens hockey practice or the state hockey tournament?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Frankly I'm sick of things moving to Fargo.  State Hockey Tourney need to be in Grand Forks.  There are 2 ice sheets at the Ralph.  Make it work.

I agree with this. The idea that Fargo should have all the state tournaments like the Twin Cities has all the Minnesota state tournaments is insane. If any issue could cause the western two-thirds of the state to secede from the Red River Valley, this might be it. And enough of the "scheduling conflicts" argument. Does anyone really believe that the Fargodome would ever give up the Dakota Bowl title games because of "scheduling conflicts"? Scheels Arena isn't exactly open all the time, either. So how can they ever host a tournament? It's called long-term scheduling and I think we have enough ice sheets in Grand Forks to make it happen. What we need is cross organizational cooperation to make it happen.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with this. The idea that Fargo should have all the state tournaments like the Twin Cities has all the Minnesota state tournaments is insane. If any issue could cause the western two-thirds of the state to secede from the Red River Valley, this might be it. And enough of the "scheduling conflicts" argument. Does anyone really believe that the Fargodome would ever give up the Dakota Bowl title games because of "scheduling conflicts"? Scheels Arena isn't exactly open all the time, either. So how can they ever host a tournament? It's called long-term scheduling and I think we have enough ice sheets in Grand Forks to make it happen. What we need is cross organizational cooperation to make it happen.

Amen!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I could be wrong but I thought when The Ralph was built it was supposed to support the University as will as the Community and Businesses of Grand Forks. 

Darn right...look up his dedication speech...his vision was to further the UND mens hockey team and the community of GF...he did not give two sh*ts about any other UND program.  Part of his generosity was to help this community after the flood.  In addition, he was a big proponent of high school hockey as he built the arena in TRF for high school and youth hockey and has donated money to help support other high school arenas.  Rest assured, Ralph would not be onboard with this scheduling.  The best way to run this tournament was when they utilized both the Main ice and Olympic arena for both boys and girls.  One stop hockey for all and it worked very well.  To do away with such a good thing for petty reasons is very short sighted.

37 minutes ago, ksixpack said:
5 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

To do away with such a good thing for petty reasons is very short sighted.

The women's team doesn't deserve to practice on the ice that they will be playing playoff hockey on? For a chance to gain a spot in the NCAA tournament?  So high schoolers can play there instead?  I wouldn't necessarily call that a petty reason, but that is just my personal opinion. 

People are definitely entitled to their views, but I disagree.

Sorry about the quotes being goofy.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

The women's team doesn't deserve to practice on the ice that they will be playing playoff hockey on? For a chance to gain a spot in the NCAA tournament?  So high schoolers can play there instead?  I wouldn't necessarily call that a petty reason, but that is just my personal opinion. 

This is a false choice to begin with. There is no reason why this can't be coordinated ahead of time by all the relevant stakeholders. And that has to take place several years in advance.

15 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Darn right...look up his dedication speech...his vision was to further the UND mens hockey team and the community of GF...he did not give two sh*ts about any other UND program.  Part of his generosity was to help this community after the flood.  In addition, he was a big proponent of high school hockey as he built the arena in TRF for high school and youth hockey and has donated money to help support other high school arenas.  Rest assured, Ralph would not be onboard with this scheduling.  The best way to run this tournament was when they utilized both the Main ice and Olympic arena for both boys and girls.  One stop hockey for all and it worked very well.  To do away with such a good thing for petty reasons is very short sighted.

This weekend is the first round of the WCHA conference tournament. UND Women's hockey is part of the UND Hockey program. The Ralph Engelstad Arena was built to support the UND Hockey program. And horror or horrors, it is changing times of a high school tournament by a couple of hours. It didn't prevent the high school teams from playing in the building, just changed the times. Get over it.

Ralph supported the entire University of North Dakota, not just the Men's Hockey team. Look it up. That's why he has donated millions of dollars to scholarships. He wasn't so narrowly focused on the hockey team as you apparently are.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxjoy said:

Ice is ice...why the mystic with practicing on that ice?  They have praciticed there 100 times by now.  FYI, most NHL teams do not practice on the NHL rink, they have a different practice facility because the NHL rink has other events on a consistent basis.  Hak's Flyers rarely practice on the NHL rink in Philly.

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is a false choice to begin with. There is no reason why this can't be coordinated ahead of time by all the relevant stakeholders. And that has to take place several years in advance.

This was scheduled years in advance. It is the first round of the conference tournament, and UND is a host because of their play during the year. Therefore the schedule for the weekend was set up to include practices and games for the UND women. The conference tournament is set up to put teams into the NCAA tournament, and scheduled accordingly. Or do you propose that the NCAA should base their tournament schedule on when the North Dakota High School Athletic Association wants to play the North Dakota high school tournament?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

This weekend is the first round of the WCHA conference tournament. UND Women's hockey is part of the UND Hockey program. The Ralph Engelstad Arena was built to support the UND Hockey program. And horror or horrors, it is changing times of a high school tournament by a couple of hours. It didn't prevent the high school teams from playing in the building, just changed the times. Get over it.

Ralph supported the entire University of North Dakota, not just the Men's Hockey team. Look it up. That's why he has donated millions of dollars to scholarships. He wasn't so narrowly focused on the hockey team as you apparently are.

Ralph would be in my corner on this one...sorry...

• Downvote 2