SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 North Dakota HS Hockey

GoalieMask

On 2/23/2016 at 4:35 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

I'm pretty sure that Minnesota 9 man football title games used to start at 8 am. And North Dakota 9 man football title games start at 9.

I know this is late, but when I wrestled in high school I think they started Friday and Saturday of State at 9:00 and we had weigh-ins at 8. It's not just hockey that has early start times for state.

• Upvote 2

Was pretty bummed to see Central lose. Atmosphere was pretty fun. Friend who teaches there said they only lose three seniors... Two best players are juniors. Should be good next year.

Goalie is real little. Only a freshman. Don't know *#%& about hockey but I would think he'll get better. 

Definitely would have went to watch tomorrow had Central won. 4th time is a charm?

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

I know this is late, but when I wrestled in high school I think they started Friday and Saturday of State at 9:00 and we had weigh-ins at 8. It's not just hockey that has early start times for state.

They have changed it. We started at ten I think.. And this year they did that as well. 

State wrestling has to be right there with Class B boys basketball in terms of fun. Fans make it wild at times. Especially if a high seed (moreso if they are a high seed from one of the evil empires) gets put on their back.

Go Blue Jays. Go Imperials. Bismarck, West Fargo and Linton can go crawl in a hole.

2 hours ago, JohnboyND7 said:

They have changed it. We started at ten I think.. And this year they did that as well. 

State wrestling has to be right there with Class B boys basketball in terms of fun. Fans make it wild at times. Especially if a high seed (moreso if they are a high seed from one of the evil empires) gets put on their back.

Go Blue Jays. Go Imperials. Bismarck, West Fargo and Linton can go crawl in a hole.

It was probably 10 for me as well. I was thinking 1 hour between weigh-ins and starting wrestling but it was probably 2 hours. I just know we had weigh-ins at 8 each day. I graduated from high school in 2009 so it wasn't that long ago. I was in the finals my junior and senior years though so I didn't have to wrestle in the morning rounds either. 

State wrestling was always awesome. I started going in the 4th grade with my dad but haven't been able to go the last 3 years. Definitely miss it. I have a soft spot for those #1 seeds that lose as seniors. That is the way my career ended so I empathize with them.

The following editorial in the Grand Forks Heraldo today is 1000% SPOT ON! And it echoes what I have been saying about this issue:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3957561-our-opinion-grand-forks-mustnt-give-state-hockey-other-tournaments

So, how can Grand Forks respond?

With focused and high-level attention. With the creation of a Grand Forks Sports Commission, a joint city, Park District, School District, Convention Bureau and UND effort that would build on strengths in sports events, correct weaknesses and fight like heck for tournaments.

The bolded section above is essential to making this happen.

To be honest, I think the new REA has been more of a negative to state hockey than a positive. With all the empty seats, everyone else gets swallowed up and the atmosphere is poor. I think moving it to Purpur would solve a lot of the problems and restore some excitement to the tournament.

Otherwise, we might as well put up a billboard next to the eastbound lanes of U.S. 2 in Grand Forks proclaiming Grand Forks as the "Proud home of the ND State Tennis Tournament". Because that is what we will get stuck with from now on. :(

• Upvote 1

On February 27, 2016 at 8:52 PM, darell1976 said:

I was hoping for another classic GFC/RR title game but maybe next year. Seems like Bismarck lately has really good teams. The west is trying to earn respect after decades of embarrassment in the tournament.

Decades of embarrassment?  C'mon, darell...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Decades of embarrassment?  C'mon, darell...

Do you realize how many years the west went without winning a single first round game at this tournament following Minot's breakthrough title in 1992? And the #1 west seed would frequently lose to the #4 east seed by multiple goals. It was embarrassing. But it is nice to see western teams having success at the state tournament.

• Upvote 3