SiouxSports.com Forum

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?

Cratter

If Big Ten Offers UND Should They Join?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If Big Ten hockey decides to expand and potentially offer UND, would you like UND to abandon the NCHC and join the Big Ten?

• No
    • Yes

33 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So to recap, since the NCHC has been formed we've had 27% of NCAA participants, 42% of Frozen Four teams, and 33% of the national champions. This, despite our conference making up 13% of all college hockey teams. Why change things?

How are the percentages for the NCHC and B1G if you add UND to the B1G? 

3 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

For all the people freaking out about the possibility of considering the B1G:  Nobody is saying dive in headfirst if an invite is extended.

We have a good fallback situation with the NCHC and have good leverage with the B1G if they want us. (I truly believe UND is their hockey fix)

Negotiate a small revenue deal and negotiate when the games are played.

If you don't like the negotiated options, then say no and stay NCHC.  It's simple, really.

We would never leave the NCHC unless it benefited us in the short term and long term.

That's my point, I don't see any situation where it would benefit our program. Despite revenue and when the games are played, I don't foresee any situation where this would be beneficial.

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

How are the percentages for the NCHC and B1G if you add UND to the B1G? 

I'm not sure why that matters as it completely negates my assumption that UND has been competitive in the postseason as a result of NCHC conference opponents. In other words, the NCHC makes us battle tested and also bring our best game every single night.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the Big10 has not fared well in the NCAAs(save UMN's run in 2014).

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

That's my point, I don't see any situation where it would benefit our program. Despite revenue and when the games are played, I don't foresee any situation where this would be beneficial.

Right, and that's the problem I have....that many don't see the overall benefit to the program and UND.

4 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Right, and that's the problem I have....that many don't see the benefit to the program and UND.

I'm looking at this strictly from a competitive hockey perspective. Judging by your avatar picture, I'm guessing you hope UND gets added to Big10 football? :)

If that was even remotely possible, I'd definitely consider... but it's not.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm not sure why that matters as it completely negates my assumption that UND has been competitive in the postseason as a result of NCHC conference opponents. In other words, the NCHC makes us battle tested and also bring our best game every single night.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the Big10 has not fared well in the NCAAs(save UMN's run in 2014).

I'm saying those percentages include 3 Frozen Fours and national championship by UND in the last 3 years.

If you are saying the reason for our success is because we were in the NCHC and not the B1G, then there would be a big debate to be had.

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I'm saying those percentages include 3 Frozen Fours and national championship by UND in the last 3 years.

If you are saying the reason for our success is because we were in the NCHC and not the B1G, then there would be a big debate to be had.

I'm saying that's a large part of our success, not all of it obviously. We do field pretty decent teams every year but the style of play the NCHC lends itself well to preparing for the national tournament. High skill, fast-paced games, not clutch and grab hockey or playing a trap hoping to squeak out a 2-1 win. 

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm looking at this strictly from a competitive hockey perspective. Judging by your avatar picture, I'm guessing you hope UND gets added to Big10 football? :)

Of course you are......no surprise there.

Your judging of me by my avatar is comical.  Yeah, I hope UND Football gets added to the B1G because of hockey. :silly:

Just now, UNDvince97-01 said:

Of course you are......no surprise there.

Your judging of me by my avatar is comical.  Yeah, I hope UND gets added to the B1G because of hockey. :silly:

Judging you? That's heavy...No I'm just trying to see it from another perspective, easy there. I just guessed that you were inferring that I wasn't considering all sides.

Is this going to turn into a hockey only crowd type debate? If it is, I'm out.  I support the football and bball teams too... whatever that means.

24 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

For all the people freaking out about the possibility of considering the B1G:  Nobody is saying dive in headfirst if an invite is extended.

We have a good fallback situation with the NCHC and have good leverage with the B1G if they want us. (I truly believe UND is their hockey fix)

Negotiate a small revenue deal and negotiate when the games are played.

If you don't like the negotiated options, then say no and stay NCHC.  It's simple, really.

We would never leave the NCHC unless it benefited us in the short term and long term.

UND does not need to go to the B10, I've said that all along. The B10 offers nothing to UND but letting all those awesome B10 schools ride the financial coat trains of UND and their fans. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Judging you? That's heavy...No I'm just trying to see it from another perspective, easy there. I just guessed that you were inferring that I wasn't considering all sides.

Is this going to turn into a hockey only crowd type debate? If it is, I'm out.  I support the football and bball teams too... whatever that means.

Hey, you used the word "judging"....

I just want what's best for UND....for all sports and academics.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Sorry, but no one knows whether the Big 10 would offer money from the network or not. UND wouldn't get a full share, because they wouldn't be a full member. But until a negotiation was started it isn't possible to say what they would offer UND. Even a hockey only share of the network funds might be significant to UND, and wouldn't be missed by the rest of the conference. It could add up to more than the Midco contract.

John Hopkins is an affiliated member in Lacrosse and they do not receive any money from the B10 network.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

UND does not need to go to the B10, I've said that all along. The B10 offers nothing to UND but letting all those awesome B10 schools ride the financial coat trains of UND and their fans. 

I don't think they are worried about money.  They have plenty of that.

2 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Who said UND NEEDS to go?

Under the right negotiated conditions, the B1G could offer alot to UND.  If not, then stay NCHC.

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

John Hopkins is an affiliated member in Lacrosse and they do not receive any money from the B10 network.

So how much revenue and TV rating do they bring to the B1G?  Is B1G lacrosse having the same problems as B1G hockey?

Just because Johns Hopkins Lacrosse doesnt get revenue doesnt mean UND Hockey cant.

In terms of impact, it's apples to oranges comparison.

• Upvote 1

Notre Dame does not meet B1G academic standards as it is not a research school lIke B1G schools.  Johnny boy is wrong on that point.

Notre Dame retains the right to broadcast it's home hockey games on NBC.  If UND got a Fox North contract and a B1G hockey affiliation, the terms could be huge for UND, as Minnesota is passionate about hockey.

If you compare an 8 team NCHC with an 8 team Big Ten (including UND and Notre Dame) objectively based on last years final pairwise rankings, I think the NCHC is still better, but it is not as lopsided as some might think.  Here are the rankings based on the app on my phone(including tied rankings):

NCHC

#2, #3, #6, #14, #17, #26, #43, #55

Big Ten

#3, #6, #12, #18, #22, #31, #40, #47

I understand the argument that the league made us more playoff ready, but I disagree with it.  The first two years in the NCHC, the results were similar to the 10 years that preceded it.  I think that if you consistently put together good teams and put yourself in a position to win, things are going to work out in your favor.  

3 minutes ago, NYSioux said:

If you compare an 8 team NCHC with an 8 team Big Ten (including UND and Notre Dame) objectively based on last years final pairwise rankings, I think the NCHC is still better, but it is not as lopsided as some might think.  Here are the rankings based on the app on my phone(including tied rankings):

NCHC

#2, #3, #6, #14, #17, #26, #43, #55

Big Ten

#3, #6, #12, #18, #22, #31, #40, #47

I understand the argument that the league made us more playoff ready, but I disagree with it.  The first two years in the NCHC, the results were similar to the 10 years that preceded it.  I think that if you consistently put together good teams and put yourself in a position to win, things are going to work out in your favor.  

We weren't in the Big10 conference in the 10 years that preceded it... we were in the former WCHA which was also a strong conference.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Notre Dame does not meet B1G academic standards as it is not a research school lIke B1G schools.  Johnny boy is wrong on that point.

Notre Dame retains the right to broadcast it's home hockey games on NBC.  If UND got a Fox North contract and a B1G hockey affiliation, the terms could be huge for UND, as Minnesota is passionate about hockey.

Notre Dame is an R1 research university....just like...gasp!  The Big Ten schools.  Notre Dame is rated as a top 25 school in the country.  Notre Dame is pretty good at pretty much every sport.  The Big Ten has wanted Notre Dame for some time.

Just now, JohnboyND7 said:

Notre Dame is an R1 research university....just like...gasp!  The Big Ten schools.  Notre Dame is rated as a top 25 school in the country.  Notre Dame is pretty good at pretty much every sport.  The Big Ten has wanted Notre Dame for some time.

Does Notre Dame have a message board?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

It is not AAU like Rutgers, Maryland, and Johns Hopkins.  So Notre Dame didn't meet the B1G's academic requirements.  More than that, it has been abysmal in hockey until very recently when it actually made a couple Frozen Fours but no championship.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

It is not AAU like Rutgers, Maryland, and Johns Hopkins.  So Notre Dame didn't meet the B1G's academic requirements.  More than that, it has been abysmal in hockey until very recently when it actually made a couple Frozen Fours but no championship.

Neither is Nebraska.

We weren't in the Big10 conference in the 10 years that preceded it... we were in the former WCHA which was also a strong conference.

My bad. I thought you were distinguishing the national championship from frozen four appearances.  That was more side commentary though.

From an objective view, the rankings are similar, although skewed slightly higher to NCHC on the top end.  

From a personal opinion perspective, I think we would see the Big Ten turn into a pretty strong conference with the addition of Notre Dame and UND.  I am happy with UND being in the NCHC, but I think games against Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan every year would be a great thing for our team and our fans.  I also think that Penn State shows a lot of promise in the short time they have had as a DI hockey club.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It was when it joined.  Notre Dame is the only school that wasn't AAU.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

Nebraska got voted out of the AAU in early 2011.  Nebraska knew for years that this was a possibility and that they were at risk.  Nebraska officially joined the B1G in July of that year.  Notre Dame has been invited to the Big Ten before, obviously the AAU thing doesn't matter to them when they have a non-member, and have tried on multiple occasions to get another(ND) .