SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Departures

homer

50 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Every school loses good players every year - and to say that no one is not replacible is insecure and disrespectful to those who are staying and working their tail off. I'm willing to assume there is more to the story and his decision, but wow tough decision to walk away from a great education, personal growth and escaping the rez spiral, plus being a visible role model. I'll assume he considered this in his decision and did what he felt he had to do. Best wishes to the young man and next man up. 

By me saying he was irreplaceable has nothing to do with being insecure or disrespecting  the returning players. You will never see me disrespect bubba or und football...never!!  Games are won in the trenches, period!   Grady has Sunday playing material, 2nd round potential.  Were not Alabama, these guys don't often end up here.  

I have posted on here that I thought next year that one of our strengths would be the offensive line.  The cupboard is far from being empty.  Absolutely love demon and stockwell as I have noted quite a few times. Those 2 have potential to be on some all American lists in a couple years.  I believe miller, Aplin, Cox and Bell could be very good as well.  Rooney has potential.  That's not disrespecting those guys, I'm praising the hell out of Grady!   I'm not sure how many offensive lineman playing on Sunday has his kind of nimble feet and athleticism.  The guy is freakish in an unbelievable way.  

I still believe we will have a good to very good line. Inexperienced but good.  It will take four to five games for the line to gel next year.  Losing merz , Grady and camy hurt the depth chart as well. Und can't afford to lose anyone as were trying to establish out mojo...push it down your throat.  

I've been holding off commenting on the Grady rumor. Haven't quite been sure how to respond to it.

Initially, very disappointing as he was going to be a tremendous player, with sincere NFL potential. As far as a player being irreplaceable, Grady is as close to being irreplaceable at the FCS level as you might get. We will likely never pull in another OL player who is that dominant as a freshman. Doesn't mean our O Line won't fill out nicely.

The big concern for me is, how will this affect Santiago's run game, and his ability to hit the home run ball. I'm not quite as worried about QB protection, only because Studs is pretty mobile. QB protection is still a concern, but I'm sure the coaches will be working these guys really hard to be ready for next fall. As for Santiago, he is so shifty, that I would expect to see him running behind a full back quite a bit, especially early in the season; extra protection and still looking for holes to hit.

If confirmed, Grady would be a huge loss, but we need to also keep it in perspective. This is a team sport and UND will be fine. We have a QB who is making strides, a receiving corp is improving, and has even more talent coming in, an all american running back, a great defense. Excited to see what this team will do next year. Go Sioux!

8 minutes ago, dakota said:

really dislike the implication in the title of this thread that these players are going to a rival team, rather than leaving college altogether, as in the above situation.

Exactly, I don't view Merz or Grady's decisions as "defections," in the common-use sense, as much as it is a deeply personal and/or family-related choice to hang it up, possibly for good.

9 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Also considering that there were 5 OL commits last year and only two are still with the program. 

This level of attrition is not sustainable if we are going to compete regionally and nationally. What is making players hang it up after one season like this? Or is it just bad luck? ???

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This level of attrition is not sustainable if we are going to compete regionally and nationally. What is making players hang it up after one season like this? Or is it just bad luck? ???

Sounds like 1 kids, didn't want to be in school. Would rather join the work force and pursue other oppourtunities.

Sounds like the other kid may be leaving to spend more time with family and his kid. I can't confirm if that is the reason or not.

Regardless, neither of these are bad reason. Its just unfortunate. I'm sure this won't become a regular thing. Time to fill out the roster, develop talent, move forward and compete.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Maybe they werent the right guys for the type of team Bubba and staff are building? 

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Sounds like 1 kids, didn't want to be in school. Would rather join the work force and pursue other oppourtunities.

Sounds like the other kid may be leaving to spend more time with family and his kid. I can't confirm if that is the reason or not.

Regardless, neither of these are bad reason. Its just unfortunate. I'm sure this won't become a regular thing. Time to fill out the roster, develop talent, move forward and compete.

That is the thing that nags at the back of my head. But I suppose you are right; it probably won't happen every off-season.

This is sick news and I'm guessing no one is more sick than John Santiago.

We can put all the lipstick on the pig we want, but there's no real true way to spin this.

It sucks! Maybe we recruit another like Grady this year but it's gonna be a tall task.

38 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Haven't got an apologies yet

If you are waiting for posters to apologize for insinuating that you were maliciously starting rumors without facts or for basically calling you a liar. It's probably not going to happen. That would take people admitting they were wrong for either attacking your character, questioning your integrity or that you simply had accurate information. This is a message board where people say what they want, while at the same time feel they have the right to tell you what you should and should not say. Those are the rules. 

8 minutes ago, AFMSGT said:

If you are waiting for posters to apologize for insinuating that you were maliciously starting rumors without facts or for basically calling you a liar. It's probably not going to happen. That would take people admitting they were wrong for either attacking your character, questioning your integrity or that you simply had accurate information. This is a message board where people say what they want, while at the same time feel they have the right to tell you what you should and should not say. Those are the rules. 

You gonna be OK?   Insinuating something is going to happen, based on credible info, but never saying what's going on is completely worthless.  

We could all do that on here.  GF is a small town, not hard to hear info on the teams.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You gonna be OK?   Insinuating something is going to happen, based on credible info, but never saying what's going on is completely worthless.

We could all do that on here.  GF is a small town, not hard to hear info on the teams.

Yes, I am perfectly okay. Are you gonna be OK? Just because the guy didn't reveal his source or tell you all that you wanted to hear doesn't make him/her a bad person. I don't care how small GF is. No one that posts on here is obligated to share anything.

5 minutes ago, AFMSGT said:

Yes, I am perfectly okay. Are you gonna be OK? Just because the guy didn't reveal his source or tell you all that you wanted to hear doesn't make him/her a bad person. I don't care how small GF is. No one that posts on here is obligated to share anything.

Then, why share 50% of the info in the first place?  What good does that do anybody other than to make you feel like you know stuff others don't.  

17 minutes ago, AFMSGT said:

GFhockey didn't reveal anything. Ozzie82 did. GFhockey jumped on an assertion that someone else made and acted like he knew it the whole time -- just like he usually does. In the grand scheme of things it all really amounts to a hill of beans.  You might not be aware of GFHockey's past history on this site. Quite simply, the apology he's trolling for is not his to ask for.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2