SiouxSports.com Forum

Player Departures

homer

6 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I was referring to geaux_sioux and UNDBIZ's earlier posts opining for one more OL.  I think they need 2.  Possibly 3 depending on how some things shake out.

What the $%&* is going on? It seems like every other day I check the FB forum, a kid is "leaving the team" for this or that. Enough bad news already! :angry:???

I know I said earlier that the coaching staff will have us ready for 2016, but that doesn't mean roster defections are a good thing. Anything that hurts our depth is not good.

21 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could someone please give a final clarification on this. Is there actually another defections or is there not. I'm hearing on the one had we need more O-lineman purely for depth and competition. On the other hand I am hearing we need to fill spots due to a probable defections.

Could someone please clear this up. Posting potential rumors, and beating around the bush, and acting admirable about knowing something but not wanting to share it only creates more confusion, more rumors, and scares fans that are excited about the direction of this team.

I know something you don't know!!!!

But I can't tell you, because I'm Honorable.

21 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could someone please give a final clarification on this. Is there actually another defections or is there not. I'm hearing on the one had we need more O-lineman purely for depth and competition. On the other hand I am hearing we need to fill spots due to a probable defections.

Could someone please clear this up. Posting potential rumors, and beating around the bush, and acting admirable about knowing something but not wanting to share it only creates more confusion, more rumors, and scares fans that are excited about the direction of this team.

I too heard from reliable sources there are kids leaving or have left the program as of today. But, I, like others, are waiting for UND to acknowledge it. It's only proper, but I will say the names I am hearing are going to be missed. We just have to let the coaching staff take the lead on this. After a pretty good run in 2015, I was afraid this would happen.

I will say this though, and its just my 2 cents that don't matter to anyone important; the staff should take the time to reconnect with its current roster and remind them they are appreciated for what they did in 2015. I am hearing some kids feel unappreciated while others just have other goals in life that are competing with football (and school).

Getting a kid to commit is great, but building relationships with kids already in your program goes a long way toward recruiting other good kids. I get the sense from reading previous posts that the goal at UND is to keep getting better as a program by bringing in better talent, which from a business standpoint, makes perfect sense.  But, I also think if you don't continue to build a relationship with those that have already let blood, sweat and tears for you...defections will continue to happen. And I think some of the kids are feeling that way according to the rumor mill.  On the flip side, the kids need to know and understand that college football is a business.

12 minutes ago, AFMSGT said:

I too heard from reliable sources there are kids leaving or have left the program as of today. But, I, like others, are waiting for UND to acknowledge it. It's only proper, but I will say the names I am hearing are going to be missed. We just have to let the coaching staff take the lead on this. After a pretty good run in 2015, I was afraid this would happen.

I will say this though, and its just my 2 cents that don't matter to anyone important; the staff should take the time to reconnect with its current roster and remind them they are appreciated for what they did in 2015. I am hearing some kids feel unappreciated while others just have other goals in life that are competing with football (and school).

Getting a kid to commit is great, but building relationships with kids already in your program goes a long way toward recruiting other good kids. I get the sense from reading previous posts that the goal at UND is to keep getting better as a program by bringing in better talent, which from a business standpoint, makes perfect sense.  But, I also think if you don't continue to build a relationship with those that have already let blood, sweat and tears for you...defections will continue to happen. And I think some of the kids are feeling that way according to the rumor mill.  On the flip side, the kids need to know and understand that college football is a business.

Don't let the NCAA hear that, they'll bombard you with evidence to the contrary. :p

But seriously, this is a consequence of the "hockey-only" attitude by many people in Grand Forks and in the region as a whole. Kids today are better informed than previous generations and when they hear negative comments about non-hockey programs or sense an attitude of "who cares about FB, hockey is all that matters, blah, blah, blah", it might make them think "Why bother working my butt off if nobody cares?".

I trust the coaching staff to deal with this appropriately, but a stronger commitment from the administration (that means YOU Faison and whomever gets hired to replace Kelley) and the UND fan base in Grand Forks and the surrounding areas is needed from now on. Either we are serious about putting a nationally-contending FCS team on the field or we aren't.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Don't let the NCAA hear that, they'll bombard you with evidence to the contrary. :p

But seriously, this is a consequence of the "hockey-only" attitude by many people in Grand Forks and in the region as a whole. Kids today are better informed than previous generations and when they hear negative comments about non-hockey programs or sense an attitude of "who cares about FB, hockey is all that matters, blah, blah, blah", it might make them think "Why bother working my butt off if nobody cares?".

I trust the coaching staff to respond to this and adjust accordingly, but a stronger commitment from the administration (that means YOU Faison and whomever gets hired to replace Kelley) and the UND fan base in Grand Forks and the surrounding areas.

Yes, the NCAA as whole may disagree with me as they deposit multi-million dollar checks from TV revenue, ticket sales and merchandise. Ha ha

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Very frustrating having people come on here saying this stuff yet not giving any names. I am sure there are players leaving and they will be missed but this is a fan forum where all it is fans speculating why not say some names. Or just send me a PM ;)

If you can't share names, don't drop hints.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Very frustrating having people come on here saying this stuff yet not giving any names. I am sure there are players leaving and they will be missed but this is a fan forum where all it is fans speculating why not say some names. Or just send me a PM ;)

I didn't post the names because I am hoping the players have a change of heart and return after the holidays. That's my personal reason for not posting. Maybe that's why the staff hasn't made it public either, but I am just guessing on that one.