SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoff Selection Show Thread

cowboys5xsbs

All 5 MVFC teams were on one side because SDSU !@#$ the bed and lost their seed. After that, it all becomes regionalization. That is written into the selection committees criteria, but keep crying that it is a conspiracy (note that I'm not agreeing with it, strictly pointing out that it is laid out for all to see). Before the selection show, the complaint was that McNeese was a mirage but would get seeded above NDSU. The committee gave the MVFC fans exactly what they wanted, ISU and NDSU were the next best teams behind JSU. Not hard to work backwards from there and see how the bracket ended up the way it does when regionalization is written into the criteria of how the brackets are set. 

As for the toughest conference thing, Sagarin has the Big Sky as the #2 conference. Here's how the top 5 conferences, in Sagarin's order of "toughness" fared.

1. MVFC - 5 of 10 (50% of the conference) made the field. Had 5 eligible teams (100% success rate)
2. Big Sky - 3 of 13 (23% of the conference) made the field. Had 7 eligible teams (43% success rate)
3. Southern - 2 of 8 (25% of the conference) made the field. Had 3 eligible teams (67% success rate)
4. CAA - 4 of 12 (33% of the conference) made the field. Had 6 eligible teams (67% success rate)
5. OVC - 2 of 9 (22% of the conference) made the field. Had 4 eligible teams (50% success rate)

The 2nd hardest conference had the least success. Since its all about conference strength, I'd love to hear your explanation.

Looks like the Big Sky needs a stronger advocate in the room.

• Upvote 3

I haven't followed fcs until these last few years but the whole level seems just at rinky dink and small time as dII. We have conferences not even wanting their champions participate in the playoffs, others that don't want any post season play, others that have no scholarships, first round matchups being decided to save a few bucks on travel, and still having a mysterious back room meeting on Saturday night to decide who gets in with no objective criteria. I know we were excited to move "up"  but it doesn't feel like an upgrade at all. 

• Upvote 1

Well, I woke up this morning still angry.  Turkey day can't get here soon enough.

As for the toughest conference thing, Sagarin has the Big Sky as the #2 conference. Here's how the top 5 conferences, in Sagarin's order of "toughness" fared.

1. MVFC - 5 of 10 (50% of the conference) made the field. Had 5 eligible teams (100% success rate)
2. Big Sky - 3 of 13 (23% of the conference) made the field. Had 7 eligible teams (43% success rate)
3. Southern - 2 of 8 (25% of the conference) made the field. Had 3 eligible teams (67% success rate)
4. CAA - 4 of 12 (33% of the conference) made the field. Had 6 eligible teams (67% success rate)
5. OVC - 2 of 9 (22% of the conference) made the field. Had 4 eligible teams (50% success rate)

The 2nd hardest conference had the least success. 

This isn't making me less angry.... :angry:

Looks like the Big Sky needs a stronger advocate in the room.

Has the Big Sky Commissioner spoke out about this at all. If we don't get at least 4-5 all conference players this year I will say that the Big Sky doesn't care about UND and it's time for us to ask for better treatment from the conference. Don't give me you have to earn your respect because last year there were schools that had worse records than UND that got plenty of all conference recognition. I would hope the BSC is making some noise with the National Corrupted Athletic Association (which by the way would make a great sign).

I'll ask it again:

Is this "6-5 team in" move a first step in taking a 24 team field up to 32 teams? 

They could pull in UND, EWU, NAU, and some of the "8+ win total but weak conference" teams to fill out the bracket. 

Edited by The Sicatoka
  • Upvote 1

The first time a 6 win team has EVER made the playoffs, for a team with no wins against a seeded opponent no less.  And they booted a 7-4 team with an FBS win and a win against a seeded team to do it.

I don't EVER want to hear about "7 wins" as a minimum requirement for the playoffs EVER again. That idea was flushed down the toilet yesterday at 10am CT.

• Upvote 1

Has the Big Sky Commissioner spoke out about this at all. If we don't get at least 4-5 all conference players this year I will say that the Big Sky doesn't care about UND and it's time for us to ask for better treatment from the conference. Don't give me you have to earn your respect because last year there were schools that had worse records than UND that got plenty of all conference recognition. I would hope the BSC is making some noise with the National Corrupted Athletic Association (which by the way would make a great sign).

The assistant commissioner was pretty vocal about it on Twitter yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

I'll ask it again:

Is this "6-5 team in" move a first step in taking a 24 team field up to 32 teams? 

They could pull in UND, EWU, NAU, and some of the "8+ win total but weak conference" teams to fill out the bracket. 

Why not be like the Minnesota High School League and have ALL the teams make the playoffs? No surprises that way. :silly:

I'm going to be to pussed and bitter about this for a long time. Hopefully the excitement of the recruiting season will take the edge off. To truly get over it 100% is going to take a playoff birth next season and a deep run. Even then I'll probably still have that what if feeling and major sympathy for the seniors.

As you should be. But know this; Bubba and his staff will use this snub as prime bulletin board material all off-season (spring practice, summer strength and conditioning, fall practice). And it will only motivate our younger guys even more to come out on fire next season. I think Bowling Green is in for a fight against us.