SiouxSports.com Forum

So I Guess Fighting Hawks It Is

geaux_sioux

Got a lot of grief from my classmates at home over the nickname.  Just shook my head, drank my beer, told a few jokes and all was forgiven

A guy wearing a bison cap behind me at the UNI vs UND men's basketball game yelled "go hawks" after the national anthem.  I turned around, showed him my Ralph logo hat and said "does that look like a hawk to you"? 

• Upvote 1

A guy wearing a bison cap behind me at the UNI vs UND men's basketball game yelled "go hawks" after the national anthem.  I turned around, showed him my Ralph logo hat and said "does that look like a hawk to you"? 

So you are saying I can't say or shouldn't say "Go Hawks"  at UND events?  Because even though this wasn't the name I picked, this is my University, and it's now the nickname...so I intend to use it, plenty.

Edited by the green team
  • Upvote 2

So you are saying I can't say or shouldn't say "Go Hawks"  at UND events?  Because even thought this wasn't the name I picked, this is my University, and it's now it's the nickname...so I intend to use it, plenty.

I think he's referring to the eagerness of Bison fans to use it, presumptuously not because they think it's so cool. 

But don't you think the design process she describes too closely resembles the process that led to our nickname being Fighting Hawks?

No, because the ship's rudder will be firmly in the hands of professionals, not a committee.  Public opinion will be sought, received, and weighed, but UNLIKE our volunteer friends and neighbors on the committee who had families and feelings, and -- let's face it -- who were between a rock and a hard place, the decision makers will be nearly impervious.  If they're really good, they will immediately dismiss wayward input but will absolutely leave you with a smile and a handshake, feeling like you had a say.  Such is the beauty of bringing in the outsiders.

No, because the ship's rudder will be firmly in the hands of professionals, not a committee.  Public opinion will be sought, received, and weighed, but UNLIKE our volunteer friends and neighbors on the committee who had families and feelings, and -- let's face it -- who were between a rock and a hard place, the decision makers will be nearly impervious.  If they're really good, they will immediately dismiss wayward input but will absolutely leave you with a smile and a handshake, feeling like you had a say.  Such is the beauty of bringing in the outsiders.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3885424-update-und-nickname-fighting-hawks-kelley-reveals-his-vote

"a group of stakeholders will help select the design firm while another group will work with the firm to create the logo"

So it looks like there will be at least a little input from people other than the logo design firm.  Important thing is to get the right people on the committee.  Who those are, I guess that is up for debate.

I have no idea if the writer is a good designer or not, but a clusterf**k logo design contest similar to the last dog 'n pony show would be even more embarrassing than the name fiasco.. Pick a few random "stakeholders" and give them the mission to do the job.  At least we'll know who to blame.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/3885424-update-und-nickname-fighting-hawks-kelley-reveals-his-vote

"a group of stakeholders will help select the design firm while another group will work with the firm to create the logo"

So it looks like there will be at least a little input from people other than the logo design firm.  Important thing is to get the right people on the committee.  Who those are, I guess that is up for debate.

I'm prepared to dismiss the public input as token.  The designer(s) will take in all of the input, naturally, but at the end of the day will practice their craft the way they want to.  Otherwise, you end up with a hot mess.

Screen_Shot_2015-11-30_at_1.53.03_PM.thu

I wonder what her opinion is of the Vietnam Memorial being designed by a student? It's a basically perfect design done by an "amateur".

I ready Jenny's letter as "I know more than you. And the general public doesn't know what a good logo looks like. Only the experts."

If it's a public contract, can't anyone submit a bid?

That should level the playing field a bit for amateurs and non-experts.

Still beats a free-for-all or a (shudder) "contest."

If it's a public contract, can't anyone submit a bid?

That should level the playing field a bit for amateurs and non-experts.

Still beats a free-for-all or a (shudder) "contest."

Jenny don't want anyone to submit a bid and made it clear her opinion:

The editorial stated, "There are plenty of graphic designers in Grand Forks and the region who'd love to take a shot at designing a logo, and who'd welcome the chance to take part in a design competition." No. Who wants to do work for free?

Graphic design is a career, and it's disrespectful to ask designers to do their work for free.

Edited by Cratter