Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

If I insinuated that he had a drug and alcohol problem and made a series of poor life-choice decisions that resulted in his lack of home equity, that would be attacking his personal life.  Merely stating one's age, type of dwelling, and his admission that he trolls people on the internet is not an attack.

The forum rules are actually pretty explicit:

• No revealing private information about others (without their consent or their having already revealed it)

Please desist from posting personal information about other posters. Thanks.

Alright, I think we ALL need to chill out. Realistically, going forward, we WILL BE the Roughriders, Nodaks or Fighting Hawks. Lets all deal with that and get ready for it. Right now, our fanbase (at least on this forum) could be considered laughable the way we are going at each other. We all support the same, school, teams, players, etc .... Might as well get ready to support whatever name comes out of this dumb process. We are the same fan base .... lets act like it.

This forum is the minority of UND fans. Passionate bordering on insanity...myself included at times :) The majority are your regular people from Grand Forks/ND that talk about what name they're voting for and why then move on with the rest of their life.

• Upvote 2

The forum rules are actually pretty explicit:

• No revealing private information about others (without their consent or their having already revealed it)

Please desist from posting personal information about other posters. Thanks.

I trust you both realize that the particular poster "revealed" that information in posts he wrote during the past 2-3 months.  I'm glad, we're in agreement that no forum rules have been broken here.  Thanks, guys.

• Upvote 1

I trust you both realize that the particular poster "revealed" that information in posts he wrote during the past 2-3 months.  I'm glad, we're in agreement that no forum rules have been broken here.  Thanks, guys.

It was a personal attack (clearly posted to disparage), and it was revealing personal information about another poster. Please avoid such in the future, and please stop debating moderation policy in this thread -- it's off topic; take it to PM or here.

Holy moly guys... as someone who as strongly dug into a nickname camp as anyone on this board, this is ugly. I'm thoroughly embarrassed reading this mess. 

Controversy is best when each side brings about the best in their argument, elevating the conversation higher back and forth in retort. It is at its worst when we have to tear the other side down  to make the ground we stand on seem higher. 

I think any casual reader of this site knows I'm a huge Roughrider supporter, but I'll extend an olive branch in a minor effort to restore sanity to this discussion. I personally would predict, that if Roughriders can't win, it's because Nodaks won. I'll make a small plug for Nodaks. If you like Nodaks, I get it. It sounds cool. I even heard a story (I can't find any validation of it though) that it may have inspired the Kodak name (the internet disagrees, but what does it know). By the way, this one's free, Nodak Attack. Can't believe you Nodak supporters haven't made that a thing yet. If you want the Nodak because you it's the closest to no name (and you exist) I get it. There's a lot of passion there. I might disagree now, but at one point in time, I felt the same. I don't think it's a sin to want it for that. That's fair. It is hyper unique. It's hyper North Dakota. It's open ended. It's by far and away my second (if I were to have a second choice).

Edited by ericpnelson
an idiotic grammar error
  • Upvote 4

Holy moly guys... as someone who as strongly dug into a nickname camp as anyone on this board, this is ugly. I'm thoroughly embarrassed reading this mess. 

Controversy is best when each side brings about the best in their argument, elevating the conversation higher back and forth in retort. It is at its worst when we have to tear the other side down  to make the ground we stand on seem higher. 

I think any casual reader of this site knows I'm a huge Roughrider supporter, but I'll extend an olive branch in a minor effort to restore sanity to this discussion. I personally would predict, that if Roughriders can't win, it's because Nodaks one. I'll make a small plug for Nodaks. If you like Nodaks, I get it. It sounds cool. I even heard a story (I can't find any validation of it though) that it may have inspired the Kodak name (the internet disagrees, but what does it know). By the way, this one's free, Nodak Attack. Can't believe you Nodak supporters haven't made that a thing yet. If you want the Nodak because you it's the closest to no name (and you exist) I get it. There's a lot of passion there. I might disagree now, but at one point in time, I felt the same. I don't think it's a sin to want it for that. That's fair. It is hyper unique. It's hyper North Dakota. It's open ended. It's by far and away my second (if I were to have a second choice).

this is basically how i feel as well

I don't think there will be a runoff.  The no nickname crowd is a very small but deep pond.  The alumni will carry Roughriders over 50% in this vote.  

That's a bold prediction. You have to wonder though what all those alumni outside the GF area ("westerners") are voting (supposedly the largest alumni base) who haven't been following Brad (and the Herald) pushing Nodaks. That western influence might lean "Roughriders" pretty good (the majority of voters already lean Roughriders based on SS and Herald polls).

I do think we are getting a runoff though (Nodaks vs Roughriders). I think Berry and most of the hockey team coming out to support Nodaks will give that a boost, and just anecdotally I have heard enough support for the other three  that I think it will be tough to get 50% for anything.

I would be really interested to know how many official votes were made yesterday, compared to how many will trickle in over the rest of the week. I would think most people would have already voted.

The clever voters are those still saving their votes.

I disagree...I think the student vote is so small versus the alumni vote...the same 2000 students that go to games will care...will they vote?  maybe half...almost all alumni I have talked to have registered to vote and 2-1 say RR v nodiks

First they scare you with the possibility that "nodiks" will be used by rivals.  Then they go ahead and use it themselves. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just downplaying how much sway the current students have...there are obviously a lot more alumni out there and they will vote for the nickname that will be something we can be proud of and will make UND $$$$$$$$$$$$$$...not swayed by brad berry, brad s, tom dennis, or anyone else...they (i) will vote/d on what is best for und not a stick it to the man vote or the trendy name trending on twitter...

I don't really think many Alumni will vote on the name that will make UND money, I don't think that's a big consideration. As far as a name we can be proud of..........that ship has sailed!

like i said i'm getting priming myself for when my ndac friends ask "how are your nodiks doing these days"....just getting ready in case....

If you're above the age of 13, you need to get new friends. Did you get equally upset when opponents would say Sioux is a girl's name? If I were so worried about what opponent's fans thought, I'd have pushed for Flickertails.

• Upvote 1

like i said i'm getting priming myself for when my ndac friends ask "how are your nodiks doing these days"....just getting ready in case....

Well you could probably shut the average "terd" fan down pretty quickly.

Just inquire as to the sexual proclivities of their mascot Microsoft's Two Men Holding Hands........not that there's anything wrong with that.:p