241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

Nah. 

I always think it's funny when these Minnesota kids start ripping on UND and North Dakota, yet apparently had to come to Grand Forks to get their education. :lol:

I have to laugh at how they think these names are funny, but they are a pest rodent that everyone wants to exterminate. In other words they are a bunch of gopher _'holes.  See how that works.  They may able to say Nodicks or Roughrider condoms, but their name can be messed with as well.  And really, if they choose to stoop to the lowest common denominator, it is more of a reflection on them and their maturity level than us. 

• Upvote 1

I have to laugh at how they think these names are funny, but they are a pest rodent that everyone wants to exterminate. In other words they are a bunch of gopher _'holes.  See how that works.  They may able to say Nodicks or Roughrider condoms, but their name can be messed with as well.  And really, if they choose to stoop to the lowest common denominator, it is more of a reflection on them and their maturity level than us. 

How would you be able to mess with the Golden Opher-3 Gopher hockey team though?

Is Schloss going to do an article on the opinions of the REA custodial crew?

I do think it's kind of funny you guys are all over Brad S. and his opinion regarding the name, or opinions he heard from other interested parties, but there were no objections when a few months ago the GF Herald came out and lobbied to save Roughriders as a name when the consultants recommended against it.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3798248-our-opinion-roughriders-dirty-word-or-strong-choice-und

• Upvote 1

I do think it's kind of funny you guys are all over Brad S. and his opinion regarding the name, or opinions he heard from other interested parties, but there were no objections when a few months ago the GF Herald came out and lobbied to save Roughriders as a name when the consultants recommended against it.  http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/featured-columnists/3798248-our-opinion-roughriders-dirty-word-or-strong-choice-und

No objections?  Are you sure?   Besides, the point is moot regarding the Herald, as it threw its editorial board support behind "Sundogs."  So it's basically the kiss of death for that option. Long overdue IMHO. :lol:

Edited by Teeder11

talked to a student working at sams club and he was wearing a sioux jersey and asked him if he has voted yet...he said not yet but when he does it will probably be RR because the historical ties to teddy....i told him good make sure you vote but don't let your fellow students vote for nodiks...he laughed and said that almost all of his student friends have or will be voting for fighting hawks???

talked to a student working at sams club and he was wearing a sioux jersey and asked him if he has voted yet...he said not yet but when he does it will probably be RR because the historical ties to teddy....i told him good make sure you vote but don't let your fellow students vote for nodiks...he laughed and said that almost all of his student friends have or will be voting for fighting hawks???

Welp, that's it. Looks like we're the fighting hawks. Someone buy the domain name.

Pretty ironic to call UND fans (including his own friends) a classless bunch, then write this trash. If he really had a point to make, it was lost in all the garbage.

DISCLAIMER:   Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I will not get into any arguments over people who do not agree with my mine (sorry, internet tough guys).  Here are my final thoughts...  

I don't like Nodaks.  The more I hear it, the more I think Sundogs (still terrible) is a better name - blasphemous right?  No matter how hard I try to convince myself otherwise, it just does not sound good.  I think the argument that it was a part of UND history is silly.  IMHO, there is a reason the university moved on from it in the first place.  I never saw a huge movement to bring back Flickertails (and it's because neither are very good names).  Furthermore, Nodaks does not yield any logo possibilities beyond the interlocking ND that we already have.  Please spare me the 'it has endless logo possibilities' argument.  That's  just another way of saying it really does not have one.  I know some genuinely like the name and it seems to have grown on a large number of individuals within the last few weeks - possibly from the no nickname crowd, local media, and hockey team.  To completely deny that those groups have not had a significant impact would be a little naive.

All that being said, if Nodaks somehow does end up being the nickname, I will continue to support UND athletics but I will be disappointed in our potential to market a national brand and fear the already botched process will be further mocked on a national level (I am sure we all saw the ESPN football analysts' thoughts on that choice).  For these reasons and probably some that do not come to mind right this minute, I would like to see one of two options:

1. Roughriders - I would prefer to avoid Teddy Roosevelt logos just because they usually look cartoon-ish.  The silhouette of a horse or an individual on a horse would make a good logo.  I wrote a longer explanation of why this is my top choice in another forum and will spare you all the redundancy on an already admittedly long post.

2. Fighting Hawks - It's boring but it's at least SOMETHING.  It is generic but good logos can save mediocre names.  At least we are guaranteed a logo with this choice.  I do not know many who flat out hate this option beyond the fact that it's a default for schools who change their name.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1. Roughriders - I would prefer to avoid Teddy Roosevelt logos just because they usually look cartoon-ish.  The silhouette of a horse or an individual on a horse would make a good logo.  I wrote a longer explanation of why this is my top choice in another forum and will spare you all the redundancy on an already admittedly long post.

2. Fighting Hawks - It's boring but it's at least SOMETHING.  It is generic but good logos can save mediocre names.  At least we are guaranteed a logo with this choice.  I do not know many who flat out hate this option beyond the fact that it's a default for schools who change their name.

We got two here in North Dakota that we could borrow!

RR%20Logo%20mascot6.jpg?height=315&width

Screen_Shot_2013-09-26_at_10.01.09_PM.pn

I ve really been excited thinking about the possibility of Nodaks being the new nickname. 

I just love the history I've learned the last week how UND used to be called Nodaks. It's great that a name with deep history could come back to help ease the pain of taking the best logo and name away from us! To think Nodaks is like a shortened version of North Dakota, just imagine all the logo possibilities, wow! Anything that represents ND could be the logo for Nodaks! Anyone that thinks otherwise just admit you just don't like the name and truly have blinders on because of it! It will be a proud moment when ESPN or such has a show about this someday and shows how a small town, and state stood strong to the big arm of the NC$$ and said you take away our proud name and logo, we want to stay as close to just ND as possible to honor our proud past!

Just imagine the marketing possibilities with things like, don't mess with Nodak nation, we are strong, we are proud, we are NORTH DAKOTA! 

One thing I will do though if Nodaks does not win, is get behind my favorite teams called the RR's or the FH's and support them as if they were still called the Fighting Sioux! 

These are my personal thoughts, you don't have to agree with them, but I will not argue with you people that disagree as you hide behind your keyboard and talk smack!

once again voting to stick it to the man (ncaa) instead of what's best for und......great

"what's best for und" is subjective. No one can objectively say that [insert nickname option #1] is better for UND than [insert nickname option #2].  

you can talk all you want about why what and when but for smallish schools like und to be competitive on the field you need cash...merchandising is a big part in cash coming into the athletic department. having a marketable nickname, logo, and mascot will make more money which in turn funds schollies and coaches salaries and equipment....

University of North Dakota Roughriders will make und more money than all the rest combined...by far

you can talk all you want about why what and when but for smallish schools like und to be competitive on the field you need cash...merchandising is a big part in cash coming into the athletic department. having a marketable nickname, logo, and mascot will make more money which in turn funds schollies and coaches salaries and equipment....

University of North Dakota Roughriders will make und more money than all the rest combined...by far

As one of three "smallish" schools that will begin paying full cost of attendance to all of its student athletes, UND's absence of a nickname over the past three years surely hasn't seemed to harm its athletic department financially.  Also, wasn't UND's last hockey coach the highest paid state employee in North Dakota?

By the way, we're still waiting to see the numbers and figures from the study showing that Roughrider merchandise would outsell Fighting Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, and Sundogs merchandise "by far".  Please provide a link to that in your next post.  Thanks.