Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

Just curious--did anybody else besides me receive the e-mail from the alumni association last week indicating that they would receive another e-mail with voting instructions within the next few days, and then not receive the second e-mail? And yes, I did check my spam folder, also.

Same here. I don't see another email with a link. ???

It's called trying to stir the pot some more to get more sales out of this story before it dies out.

Maybe if they added to the "story" that Teddy R. used old Confederate flags as curtains in his Medora home that might help sell more papers too? They already covered the racist and bigot part heavily.

• Upvote 2

I think the "selling newspapers" bit is wore out. There's this newfangled way now to get the news called the internet. If you hear that the Herald has printed a story on a topic, all you have to do is CLICK and read it online. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now.

It's called trying to stir the pot some more to get more sales out of this story before it dies out.

Reminds me of the new "Our Brand is Crisis" movie. Where in the trailer they accuse the other politician of having sex with dogs. "We know he doesn't have sex with dogs.....we just want to hear him deny it."

I think the "selling newspapers" bit is wore out. There's this newfangled way now to get the news called the internet. If you hear that the Herald has printed a story on a topic, all you have to do is CLICK and read it online. Maybe 20 years ago, but not now.

Selling newspapers is also equal to creating website visits for newspapers. Newspapers run on advertising revenue. That means ads in the printed versions and ads on websites. That revenue has been much greater than the revenue from actually selling papers for quite a while. So the term "selling newspapers" means getting people to read the stories, in the paper or online, and therefore getting views for the advertising.

Looking ahead to the run-off (which I think we will need), I think the two names that will survive the initial round of voting are Roughriders and Nodaks (Fighting Hawks has fallen out of contention). My thinking is that the Fighting Hawk and North Star voters will swing over to Roughriders and the Sundog voters will swing over to Nodaks. That should give Roughriders the edge in the run-off, as I believe there will be more voters in the Hawks/North Star camp than in the Sundog camp.

Prediction:

60% Roughriders

40% Nodaks

• Upvote 1

I voted for Nodaks, for reasons I will explain.

It ultimately came down more to a process of elimination.

I simply cannot vote for Sundogs or Fighting Hawks.  I am not interested in our team just being yet another "dog" or "hawk" team.

North Stars is absurd.  Zero connection to North Dakota, other than they share the same first word.

That leaves Roughriders and Nodaks.

As choices go, it really won't bother me if it's Roughriders, but it's not my first choice primarily for two reasons.  First, it's not unique.  There are other teams, including the local high school team, which use that name/mascot.  There are also things like the Rough Rider award and the like that have been used by the State, but which have nothing to do with our University.

I've also always personally felt that the State of North Dakota has clutched just a little too hard at its connections with TR.  North Dakota has never really had any connection with the Rough Riders cavalry group from the Spanish-American war.  I could see it if that group had been made up of primarily servicemen from North Dakota, but that connection doesn't exist.

Nodaks is not ideal.  It doesn't flow easily as part of cheers.  It is non-descript.

But it has a couple of advantages, in my opinion.  First, it is unique and won't be copied by any schools, etc...  It is also free from all possible offensive or derogatory connotations, so we'll be free of that nonsense once and for all.  It also permits us to be creative with respect to coming up with a unique mascot/logo design.

• Upvote 1

Um....You guys............my page glitched out and it I guess I ended up voting for the first option on the list....Sundogs......NO GOD. NO GOD PLEASE NO. NO. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kidding, I'd jump off the Ralph before I'd vote for the Dawgs. I actually ended up being converted back to Nodaks (Or NoDaks?), however I am totally fine with Roughriders too. So will the winner be put in to effect immediately? Like will Nodaks or Roughriders be used at sporting events this season?

• Upvote 1

Looking ahead to the run-off (which I think we will need), I think the two names that will survive the initial round of voting are Roughriders and Nodaks (Fighting Hawks has fallen out of contention). My thinking is that the Fighting Hawk and North Star voters will swing over to Roughriders and the Sundog voters will swing over to Nodaks. That should give Roughriders the edge in the run-off, as I believe there will be more voters in the Hawks/North Star camp than in the Sundog camp.

Prediction:

60% Roughriders

40% Nodaks

I was NS all the way until yesterday.  I went Nodaks.

There is:

1. Guessing;

2. Pulling things out of your azz and throwing them on the table for people to look at; or

3. ^^^^This post.

What possible fact could you be looking at that causes you to conclude this???

• Upvote 4

...  It is also free from all possible offensive or derogatory connotations, so we'll be free of that nonsense once and for all.  It also permits us to be creative with respect to coming up with a unique mascot/logo design.

Seriously? You haven't seen the Nod!cks references?

As for logos - besides the interlocking letters and the hick farmer portrayed in the Forum, does not seem that there are a lot of options for Nodaks logos  ... Maybe a lightbulb guy holding an electric shock. 

Not it advocating it, but I am advocating it... Turn someone like Bennett Brien or someone with his talent loose and confident they can come up with something. That said, the Cedar Rapids Rough Ridets horse head has some wonderful possibilities, as does the Roosevelt profile. Turn Mr Brien loose and see what he can do with those. 

• Upvote 2

As for logos - besides the interlocking letters and the hick farmer portrayed in the Forum, does not seem that there are a lot of options for Nodaks logos  ... Maybe a lightbulb guy holding an electric shock. 

Not it advocating it, but I am advocating it... Turn someone like Bennett Brien or someone with his talent loose and confident they can come up with something. That said, the Cedar Rapids Rough Ridets horse head has some wonderful possibilities, as does the Roosevelt profile. Turn Mr Brien loose and see what he can do with those. 

My fear is that the logo will have an oil well, or something similar minded, if Nodak is chosen.

Based on what I have seen and heard and read during this whole fiasco, this is what I think. Maybe I am right and maybe I am wrong. If you have any ideas of your own, please share them.

Just yesterday didn't you "seen and hear" that you thought Nodaks wouldn't make the top two. Despite all the evidence going around, until you finally saw this poll today?

• Upvote 2

But doesn't that lead into the ever classy  "That's not what your mom said" line?

This poll is a lot closer than I thought it would be considering the heavy RR crowd on this site.  At least in GF it seems the hockey squad has grown the Nodak option a lot.

I think it is a good sign that RR is that much ahead...there seems to be a lot of RRHS and Central alums on this site which could sway people one way or ther other on RR...I think once you get out of gf and especially west they will go hard RR...

I think it is a good sign that RR is that much ahead...there seems to be a lot of RRHS and Central alums on this site which could sway people one way or ther other on RR...I think once you get out of gf and especially west they will go hard RR...

I disagree, I think they're in for a "rough ride"

... I'll show myself out

• Upvote 3

Even with this poll just open for a day, it's interesting to see how it differs from a similar poll with the same five choices started in July (http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20657-vote-on-your-final-5-nickname-choices-just-nd-is-out/). 

Not surprisingly given the recent PR blitz, Nodaks has gained a lot of ground. But, surprisingly not at the expense of Roughriders. Instead all of the other choices have completely withered away. Fighting Hawks and North Stars, each previously claimed to be generating buzz among students on campus, aren't even in the running here.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the real polling.

Currently in this poll vs that poll:

Roughriders has gotten stronger.

Think the passionate people would be the first to vote. And in the following days will account for 15%(?) of the rest of the vote. 

Edited by Cratter

Doesn't UND claim most of its alumni are in "the west"?

Prediction:

60% Roughriders

40% Nodaks

There is:

1. Guessing;

2. Pulling things out of your azz and throwing them on the table for people to look at; or

3. ^^^^This post.

What possible fact could you be looking at that causes you to conclude this???

This is downright hilarious! I have to agree, in what world would 100% of the voters for Sundogs shift to another name and 100% of the voters for NS and Fighting Hawks shift to another? And what is driving these momentous shifts? I'm not disagreeing with your final percentages, those are plausible, but your means of getting there ...... ? ? ? :blink:

• Upvote 1

Based on what I have seen and heard and read during this whole fiasco, this is what I think. Maybe I am right and maybe I am wrong. If you have any ideas of your own, please share them.

I don't mean to bash on your theory, its just that I had the same question as SJHovey and the way he put it literally had me laughing out loud.