Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

As one of three "smallish" schools that will begin paying full cost of attendance to all of its student athletes, UND's absence of a nickname over the past three years surely hasn't seemed to harm its athletic department financially.  Also, wasn't UND's last hockey coach the highest paid state employee in North Dakota?

By the way, we're still waiting to see the numbers and figures from the study showing that Roughrider merchandise would outsell Fighting Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, and Sundogs merchandise "by far".  Please provide a link to that in your next post.  Thanks.

ask the swimming and diving teams in a couple of months if "finances" have hurt them...

As one of three "smallish" schools that will begin paying full cost of attendance to all of its student athletes, UND's absence of a nickname over the past three years surely hasn't seemed to harm its athletic department financially.  Also, wasn't UND's last hockey coach the highest paid state employee in North Dakota?

By the way, we're still waiting to see the numbers and figures from the study showing that Roughrider merchandise would outsell Fighting Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, and Sundogs merchandise "by far".  Please provide a link to that in your next post.  Thanks.

i don't need a link...let's put it this way...for every chevy, gmc, or ford pickup you see in north dakota count that as a person that would buy roughrider gear....for every prius or range rover count that as a sundog gear....a good safe nostalgic chevy impala would be nodak gear...a good mpg car for students like a ford focus or honda civic would be  fighting hawk gear....and a nice fancy upscale bloomington, minnesota car like a porshe would be north star gear....

i would say there are more pickups in nd than the others combined...there you go.

Edited by SIOUXFAN97

because its hard to have those logos if its the RR (western theme) or FH (nature theme) or NS(more than likely the old ns logo...tweaked or not) .... if its the nodaks its up to whomever its up to to decide and i don't trust people like tom dennis, pres kelly, or 99 percent of the other pc libs in higher education....

• Upvote 1

@SIOUXFAN97 Ok, so you believe that President Kelley, or other "higher education politically correct liberals" (Damn those readin' writin' arithmetic'n educated folk!!) will consider making Sacha Baron Cohen's character Bruno as the logo for Nodaks? Doubtful. It's also interesting that you could've chosen, by your logic, literally anything in the universe to represent Nodaks but you chose those two men. Interesting....I'm learning a lot about you, my man. 

P.S. - Nodaks is not a free for all logo-wise.  It probably has to be North Dakota themed, because...ya know...it's derived from North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

i don't need a link...let's put it this way...for every chevy, gmc, or ford pickup you see in north dakota count that as a person that would buy roughrider gear....for every prius or range rover count that as a sundog gear....a good safe nostalgic chevy impala would be nodak gear...a good mpg car for students like a ford focus or honda civic would be  fighting hawk gear....and a nice fancy upscale bloomington, minnesota car like a porshe would be north star gear....

i would say there are more pickups in nd than the others combined...there you go.

Well...after these last few posts I hope every can see just how serious to take anything you say/write about the nickname.

All I can say is, I hope you are a college kid, or at least that age group, a kid that just hasnt quite grown up yet, which I can excuse because I was once young and stupid also. Good luck...

• Upvote 3

I ve really been excited thinking about the possibility of Nodaks being the new nickname. 

I just love the history I've learned the last week how UND used to be called Nodaks. It's great that a name with deep history could come back to help ease the pain of taking the best logo and name away from us! To think Nodaks is like a shortened version of North Dakota, just imagine all the logo possibilities, wow! Anything that represents ND could be the logo for Nodaks! Anyone that thinks otherwise just admit you just don't like the name and truly have blinders on because of it! It will be a proud moment when ESPN or such has a show about this someday and shows how a small town, and state stood strong to the big arm of the NC$$ and said you take away our proud name and logo, we want to stay as close to just ND as possible to honor our proud past!

Just imagine the marketing possibilities with things like, don't mess with Nodak nation, we are strong, we are proud, we are NORTH DAKOTA! 

One thing I will do though if Nodaks does not win, is get behind my favorite teams called the RR's or the FH's and support them as if they were still called the Fighting Sioux! 

These are my personal thoughts, you don't have to agree with them, but I will not argue with you people that disagree as you hide behind your keyboard and talk smack!

Almost my feelings exactly

Well that's fine research you done did there SIOUXFAN97.  I think I speak for everyone on the message board in saying thank you for taking the time to assemble that for us folk that don't understand fancy math equations and the like. I wonder though, would one of them Smart Cars just not even vote then? I seen one of them the other day on the road and ran it off with my lifted up Chevy truck because I don't like things that confuse me.  That's why I like your post, it tells me what's what.

• Upvote 2

If you think the vitriol is palpable now, wait until you see the debate when it comes down to two names.  The Grand Forks Herald will be pushing the debate, and I have a feeling those people in athletics will be pushing hard trying to sway people.  

If you think the vitriol is palpable now, wait until you see the debate when it comes down to two names.  The Grand Forks Herald will be pushing the debate, and I have a feeling those people in athletics will be pushing hard trying to sway people.  

Gee, what would ever give you that idea?  

• Upvote 1

ask the swimming and diving teams in a couple of months if "finances" have hurt them...

At first, you said a new nickname and logo would help UND athletics financially.  So when UND has a nickname and possible logo in a few months, now you're saying the swimming and diving team will have financial problems?  You're really all over the map with this one.

By the way, you're trucks versus car example is more ridiculous than Teddy's views on Native Americans!  ;)

• Upvote 2

you can talk all you want about why what and when but for smallish schools like und to be competitive on the field you need cash...merchandising is a big part in cash coming into the athletic department. having a marketable nickname, logo, and mascot will make more money which in turn funds schollies and coaches salaries and equipment....

University of North Dakota Roughriders will make und more money than all the rest combined...by far

I don't know if these numbers are as large as you think they are?

For example. In the years leading up to UND losing the Fighting Sioux name, UND was receiving about $280,000/year from the sale of licensed apparel and gear. When it became apparent that the name was going away, these numbers jumped to $624,000(2011), $606,000(2012), and $520,000(2013). I would guess that in the first year of a new logo/name that UND could expect to maybe see $300,000 but after that I would imagine the money from licensing will drop down well below the $200,000/year mark.

As a point of reference, another school just 70 miles away was receiving about $140,000/year from the sale of licensed apparel and gear until they had some incredible success on the football field and with a few of their other sports and spiked to $418,000 in 2013 and $488,000 in 2014.

Quick question for you guys. How likely do you think it is that the Sun Dogs will be selected? I definitely hate the name, but Ive noticed that a lot of my friends on Facebook are voting for it (I clearly need new friends).  Have you noticed a consensus of you r friends on FB voting for this option? Also, if you haven't googled Sun Dogs on Urban Dictionary it'll most likely change your mind about it if you're inclined to vote in that direction :)

Quick question for you guys. How likely do you think it is that the Sun Dogs will be selected? I definitely hate the name, but Ive noticed that a lot of my friends on Facebook are voting for it (I clearly need new friends).  Have you noticed a consensus of you r friends on FB voting for this option? Also, if you haven't googled Sun Dogs on Urban Dictionary it'll most likely change your mind about it if you're inclined to vote in that direction :)

In regards to my friends voting for Sundogs:

No! No man..shi% no.  I believe you'd get your as$ kicked for voting for something like that.  (just thought of something, this pic could be the logo for Nodaks)

image.jpg

That there is one impressive heap of stereotyping.  

• Upvote 2

I have none on my FB feed.  Several NoDaks, 1 North Star.  Not much else.  My "friends" who embrace the bison are sure hoping for it, though.

P.S. - Nodaks is not a free for all logo-wise.  It probably has to be North Dakota themed, because...ya know...it's derived from North Dakota.

It's not exactly apples to apples, but if you once again use the Vancouver Canucks as an example, the logo possibilities are pretty flexible. They went from their skate logo (one of my all-time favorites) to their current whale logo.

If Nodaks wins, it would be cool if they design a logo themed toward the runner-up. That could possibly get more people on board. 

We could be like Alabama and pick the most irrelevant animal possible to our state/nickname and go with it!

It's not exactly apples to apples, but if you once again use the Vancouver Canucks as an example, the logo possibilities are pretty flexible. They went from their skate logo (one of my all-time favorites) to their current whale logo.

If Nodaks wins, it would be cool if they design a logo themed toward the runner-up. That could possibly get more people on board. 

We could be like Alabama and pick the most irrelevant animal possible to our state/nickname and go with it!

Using the Vancouver Canucks as an example would work - if their name was the Canucklandia Canucks.  Also, the Canucks have changed their logo and colors a ridiculous number of times in their history, something I don't think UND should be looking at doing at all.  The Detroit Red Wings logo, the New York Yankees NY logo, the Dallas Cowboys star logo - now those are logos that stand the test of time - and that's what North Dakota should be trying to find.

• Upvote 4

Using the Vancouver Canucks as an example would work - if their name was the Canucklandia Canucks.  Also, the Canucks have changed their logo and colors a ridiculous number of times in their history, something I don't think UND should be looking at doing at all.  The Detroit Red Wings logo, the New York Yankees NY logo, the Dallas Cowboys' star logo - now those are logos what stand the test of time - and that's what North Dakota should be trying to find.

So a big old fighting hawk then? :)  

So a big old fighting hawk then? :)  

If the school name was Dickinson State, then sure, NoDaks or Nodaks would work.  When it's North Dakota, Nodak sounds redundant.  Kinda the same with North Dakota North Stars - I just don't get the appeal.

Vancouver Canucks isn't a fair example because it's not apples to apples.  If you went with Boston Bostonians or Detroit Detroiters, then we'd have a valid comparison.  With Canucks, we don't.

I voted for what I felt was the least crummy out of five crummy choices I was given.