Nickname Vote: Exit Poll  

241 members have voted

1. 1. What name did you vote for?

• Fighting Hawks
    • North Stars
    • Sundogs
    • Nodaks
    • Roughriders

As someone who does marketing and advertising for a living . . . I feel kind of bad for those of you who are voting.  There just really isn't anything there that's exciting and dynamic. (my opinion . . . but I don't get a vote)

I always look for the "hell yeah!"  That one idea that is just so good that nothing else even comes close.  Doesn't sound like anyone here has any of these names down as their "hell yeah".

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Using the Vancouver Canucks as an example would work - if their name was the Canucklandia Canucks.  Also, the Canucks have changed their logo and colors a ridiculous number of times in their history, something I don't think UND should be looking at doing at all.  The Detroit Red Wings logo, the New York Yankees NY logo, the Dallas Cowboys star logo - now those are logos that stand the test of time - and that's what North Dakota should be trying to find.

I was just referring to logo possibilities. I agree with you that North Dakota Nodaks is redundant. I used Canucks as an example of a team that can use a variety of logos because they have an undescript nickname, not because of the phonetics of their name.

As someone who does marketing and advertising for a living . . . I feel kind of bad for those of you who are voting.  There just really isn't anything there that's exciting and dynamic. (my opinion . . . but I don't get a vote)

I always look for the "hell yeah!"  That one idea that is just so good that nothing else even comes close.  Doesn't sound like anyone here has any of these names down as their "hell yeah".

We already had one..... 

• Upvote 4

If Nodaks is selected, I really don't see UND creating a new logo.  Way too much money has already been spent on this nickname fiasco.  I honestly believe that they will just put "Nodaks" underneath the interlocking ND and that will be it.  So I guess if you are a person that didn't want a new neickname and logo, Nodaks is probably the best option for you.  

• Upvote 1

I was just referring to logo possibilities. I agree with you that North Dakota Nodaks is redundant. I used Canucks as an example of a team that can use a variety of logos because they have an undescript nickname, not because of the phonetics of their name.

For the record, I loved the skate-in-motion logo that the Canucks used to wear.  My memory of them is the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals against the Rangers and Pavel Bure flying around the rink.  Great jersey and logo!  

If Nodaks is selected, I really don't see UND creating a new logo.  Way too much money has already been spent on this nickname fiasco.  I honestly believe that they will just put "Nodaks" underneath the interlocking ND and that will be it.  So I guess if you are a person that didn't want a new neickname and logo, Nodaks is probably the best option for you.  

Own some swamp land in Florida too?

Stanford Cardinal

Harvard Crimson

Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Dakota Kelly

If the school name was Dickinson State, then sure, NoDaks or Nodaks would work.  When it's North Dakota, Nodak sounds redundant.  Kinda the same with North Dakota North Stars - I just don't get the appeal.

Vancouver Canucks isn't a fair example because it's not apples to apples.  If you went with Boston Bostonians or Detroit Detroiters, then we'd have a valid comparison.  With Canucks, we don't.

I voted for what I felt was the least crummy out of five crummy choices I was given.   

turddouche.jpg

Edited by petey23
mistake
  • Upvote 1

Sure they will.  What better way to market a new name than to assign a logo/design to it, (probably after yet another clusterf*ck of a contest) slap it anything that doesn't move, and wait for those royalties to roll in? 

• Upvote 1

If Nodaks is selected, I really don't see UND creating a new logo.  

The marketing team that has been lording over this process has been preparing for a job.  Overhauling our logos and merch is the prize they have been driving at,  Don't you think they will advise strongly against your idea?  Their job security is no doubt the most important factor to them.  That conflict of interest guaranteed from the beginning that the no-nickname option would have to die as well.

The marketing team that has been lording over this process has been preparing for a job.  Overhauling our logos and merch is the prize they have been driving at,  Don't you think they will advise strongly against your idea?  Their job security is no doubt the most important factor to them.  That conflict of interest guaranteed from the beginning that the no-nickname option would have to die as well.

If Nodaks is selected, the next protest movement will be to NOT adopt a new logo.  The "no nickname" crowd will turn into the "no new logo" crowd!! :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Padilla was hired to consult with the committee but I didn't think a marketing team/firm had been selected to help once a name is selected.

DISCLAIMER:   Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I will not get into any arguments over people who do not agree with my mine (sorry, internet tough guys).  Here are my final thoughts...  

I don't like Nodaks.  The more I hear it, the more I think Sundogs (still terrible) is a better name - blasphemous right?  No matter how hard I try to convince myself otherwise, it just does not sound good.  I think the argument that it was a part of UND history is silly.  IMHO, there is a reason the university moved on from it in the first place.  I never saw a huge movement to bring back Flickertails (and it's because neither are very good names).  Furthermore, Nodaks does not yield any logo possibilities beyond the interlocking ND that we already have.  Please spare me the 'it has endless logo possibilities' argument.  That's  just another way of saying it really does not have one.  I know some genuinely like the name and it seems to have grown on a large number of individuals within the last few weeks - possibly from the no nickname crowd, local media, and hockey team.  To completely deny that those groups have not had a significant impact would be a little naive.

All that being said, if Nodaks somehow does end up being the nickname, I will continue to support UND athletics but I will be disappointed in our potential to market a national brand and fear the already botched process will be further mocked on a national level (I am sure we all saw the ESPN football analysts' thoughts on that choice).  For these reasons and probably some that do not come to mind right this minute, I would like to see one of two options:

1. Roughriders - I would prefer to avoid Teddy Roosevelt logos just because they usually look cartoon-ish.  The silhouette of a horse or an individual on a horse would make a good logo.  I wrote a longer explanation of why this is my top choice in another forum and will spare you all the redundancy on an already admittedly long post.

2. Fighting Hawks - It's boring but it's at least SOMETHING.  It is generic but good logos can save mediocre names.  At least we are guaranteed a logo with this choice.  I do not know many who flat out hate this option beyond the fact that it's a default for schools who change their name.

Excellent post

I've had a chance to interact with a fair number of alums in the past few days, and it seems about 50% want Nodaks, with RR and Hawks evenly split for the balance.   No everyone wants an over the top, shoot em up cowboy mascot.   Go Nodaks.

• Upvote 1

My ranking of the possible nicknames (just my opinion):

5. Sundogs - sounds like a minor league baseball team name than a Division I university

4. North Stars - "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".  Plus, it was a Minnesota name to begin with; let's have something more unique and North Dakota-ish, which leads me to...

3. Nodaks - The name itself isn't great.  When you hear "Nodak", what comes to mind?  A warrior?  An animal?  A guy named Dale in a Pioneer Seed hat talking about the weather (like North Dakotans do).  That's the one good point about this name: it is very open-ended and can be left open for everyone's own interpretation.  Who knows...the logo might be better than what people expect?

2. Fighting Hawks - Yes, it's not very creative.  Yes, it's still a "Fighting" name.  However, hawks could have strong ties to Native American heritage (cough Sioux cough), so it could still satisfy people's itch to call the team the Fighting Sioux.  "UND Fighting Sio......Hawks".  Plus, how awesome would it be to have a hawk screeching and swoop down from the rafters of the Ralph or Alerus Center right before the game?

And my #1 choice for UND's new nickname.....

1. Roughriders - It's 100% North Dakota through & through.  Teddy Roosevelt was a bada$$ President and outdoorsman.  The only issue, of course, is that Red River has the name already; however, UND can take the name and make the logo more intense and intimidating than a cartoon or a silhouette of a horse.  Most importantly, how great would it be to have this song playing right before kick-off/tip/puck-drop/first serve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN3aHuBTfM

• Upvote 4

My ranking of the possible nicknames (just my opinion):

5. Sundogs - sounds like a minor league baseball team name than a Division I university

4. North Stars - "been there, done that, got the t-shirt".  Plus, it was a Minnesota name to begin with; let's have something more unique and North Dakota-ish, which leads me to...

3. Nodaks - The name itself isn't great.  When you hear "Nodak", what comes to mind?  A warrior?  An animal?  A guy named Dale in a Pioneer Seed hat talking about the weather (like North Dakotans do).  That's the one good point about this name: it is very open-ended and can be left open for everyone's own interpretation.  Who knows...the logo might be better than what people expect?

2. Fighting Hawks - Yes, it's not very creative.  Yes, it's still a "Fighting" name.  However, hawks could have strong ties to Native American heritage (cough Sioux cough), so it could still satisfy people's itch to call the team the Fighting Sioux.  "UND Fighting Sio......Hawks".  Plus, how awesome would it be to have a hawk screeching and swoop down from the rafters of the Ralph or Alerus Center right before the game?

And my #1 choice for UND's new nickname.....

1. Roughriders - It's 100% North Dakota through & through.  Teddy Roosevelt was a bada$$ President and outdoorsman.  The only issue, of course, is that Red River has the name already; however, UND can take the name and make the logo more intense and intimidating than a cartoon or a silhouette of a horse.  Most importantly, how great would it be to have this song playing right before kick-off/tip/puck-drop/first serve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihN3aHuBTfM

Dont agree with your rankings but I love your post! If my choice wins or loses, I hope someone like you is behind the finishing touches! Nice...