SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Upgrades

MafiaMan

I've heard and read quite a bit about these upgrades in the past couple of days - sure doesn't sound like anything that will improve the quality of college hockey.  Well, other than the new entrance to the building, which will hopefully alleviate the green logjam every spring... 

I've heard and read quite a bit about these upgrades in the past couple of days - sure doesn't sound like anything that will improve the quality of college hockey.  Well, other than the new entrance to the building, which will hopefully alleviate the green logjam every spring... 

maybe that will prevent people from being trampled during the log jam between games when the escalators send people to the floor faster than they can get their wristbands and out the door?

If they ever even get to doing the thing

Hoping the NCHC finds a better option once their contract with Target Center is concluded.  

Just a note... the contract with the Target Center was signed by Jim Scherr.  The current NCHC staff has not been overly pleased with the TC, especially the major issues with the ice both years.  

• Upvote 1

We've been told over and over how a nice video board is such a huge motivator for fan attendance.  Having an HD board in the TC means two things... 1) fans in the arena actually have a large scoreboard to watch replays and etc.  2) The production will be in HD, which means the third place game that UND is so fond of playing in, will be streamed in HD instead of the junk SD they've done the past two years.

Just a note... the contract with the Target Center was signed by Jim Scherr.  The current NCHC staff has not been overly pleased with the TC, especially the major issues with the ice both years.  

I am hoping they find a better arena option soon. 

• Upvote 2

The TC is a dump and the people that work there are not friendly but I'll still go because I like watching good hockey, the atmosphere is pretty good, and downtown MPLS tries its hardest to accommodate everyone.

I think that about sums it up.   I like to watch UND hockey so I'm not that particular about the venue.  I do think it would be best if they can fix the on-ice issues.   And I am disappointed that these facility upgrades won't be happening for a couple of years.  That sucks.  But it's still worth going to watch UND hockey.

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

Did the target center get any updates done on it since last year?

No.  I was there a 2-3 weeks ago for the state hs dance competition and it was a !@#$ show.  Huge lines at the ticket office and they sold too many general admission tickets so we and many others had no place to sit.  Hundreds of people were watching from the tops of the stairs, the ushers were jerks, and they wouldn't let anybody sit in the upper deck even though the lower bowl was full. 

42 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

No.  I was there a 2-3 weeks ago for the state hs dance competition and it was a !@#$ show.  Huge lines at the ticket office and they sold too many general admission tickets so we and many others had no place to sit.  Hundreds of people were watching from the tops of the stairs, the ushers were jerks, and they wouldn't let anybody sit in the upper deck even though the lower bowl was full. 

Seriously, it completely baffles me that the ushers, even though sometimes doing their jobs, have such a mean disposition when doing it.  When the NCHC brass are looking at things like this, do they realize that fan experience is very important in growing their tournament?  I was one who was originally fine at going back to the Target Center because there are different food options around there, but since I don't have time between games to frequent any of them, the only plus they had going for them became a non factor.  I for one hope there is no way they renew with the Target Center. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I wonder if the NCHC would ever consider the experiment of rotating the Frozen Faceoff among different locations? I think that could potentially generate fan interest. 

It could help with certain fan bases that don't historically travel well when it came to their town. 

The NCHC would need to make sure there was adequate hotel and food/drink places near the venue, however, or risk losing some people who would travel otherwise.  Yes, the first priority is hockey, but if you have to travel 1,000 miles, then deal with parking nightmares, or staying 40 minutes away because there aren't enough hotels to accommodate everyone, it could really hurt.  Hotels near an arena can fill up for other events that happen to be on the same weekend, too.  Imagine having it at the REA on a weekend that was a Canadian holiday (esp when their dollar was stronger).  Suddenly hotels are at a premium - and I wouldn't call most "walking distance" from the arena and food and drink. Great for us, but who else would be there?

21 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I think Sioux Falls would be a great central location for the Frozen Faceoff, but amount of local interest would be questionable.

Just hope they do not move it to Pepsi Center or something.   

Think of when the WJC was in Grand Forks.  It was THE event going on.  Not saying the Frozen Faceoff is as big as the WJC by any means, but if you had it in Sioux Falls, it would be a pretty big event for the city.  In a city the size of Minneapolis, it kind of gets lost in the shuffle.  Especially with a similar tournament being played across the river at the same time. I think the city of Sioux Falls would embrace the Frozen Faceoff and turn it into a pretty successful event.  Especially considering it would be held at the brand new Stanford Center.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Think of when the WJC was in Grand Forks.  It was THE event going on.  Not saying the Frozen Faceoff is as big as the WJC by any means, but if you had it in Sioux Falls, it would be a pretty big event for the city.  In a city the size of Minneapolis, it kind of gets lost in the shuffle.  Especially with a similar tournament being played across the river at the same time. I think the city of Sioux Falls would embrace the Frozen Faceoff and turn it into a pretty successful event.  Especially considering it would be held at the brand new Stanford Center.

... and they might actually have a welcoming attitude.

• Upvote 1