SiouxSports.com Forum

Target Center Upgrades

MafiaMan

The ushers attitude is the biggest turnoff to the Target Center IMO.

Yeah I'm coming to sit in these rows and rows of more expensive empty seats that I don't have a ticket for....thank me later for making it a better atmosphere and looking better on tv.

With that said, besides the X, I think it's the best option and I hope it stays there long term.

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The ushers attitude is the biggest turnoff to the Target Center IMO.

Yeah I'm coming to sit in these rows and rows of more expensive empty seats that I don't have a ticket for....thank me later for making it a better atmosphere and looking better on tv.

With that said, besides the X, I think it's the best option and I hope it stays there long term.

I never had an usher get after me. The guy in my section was actually really cool. However, a lot of people have said this, so I might have been the lucky one.

The TC is definitely the best option, right now.

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I never had an usher get after me. The guy in my section was actually really cool. However, a lot of people have said this, so I might have been the lucky one.

The TC is definitely the best option, right now.

We just go over to the next section/usher. Eventually one finds the "cool/laid back" ushers.

• Upvote 1

On February 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM, Godsmack said:

I wonder if the NCHC would ever consider the experiment of rotating the Frozen Faceoff among different locations? I think that could potentially generate fan interest. 

The primary issue with this is the risk made in hoping the host team makes it.  If it's being held in Ohio and Miami gets bounced the weekend before?  Good luck.  I don't think schools would agree to keep it rotating just between UND, UMD, and SCSU either.  (I just picked those 3 as the most centralized options).

14 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

The NCHC needs to offer the X more money than the WCHA. 

The Final 5 I think is scheduled thru 2017.  Not sure when the B1G is.  The NCHC needs to really make a strong bid to move the Final Faceoff to the X.  Biggest question is do they want to relocate from the Target Center?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The Final 5 I think is scheduled thru 2017.  Not sure when the B1G is.  The NCHC needs to really make a strong bid to move the Final Faceoff to the X.  Biggest question is do they want to relocate from the Target Center?

I would guess that with the disaster for attendance at Joe Louis Arena last year, the Big Ten might be looking at playing at the X every year.  If that is the case, the X would probably lean towards the Big Ten tournament, knowing that Minnesota in the current format will play in it every year, while the possibility of North Dakota not making it for the NCHC might sway them towards the Big Ten as well.  Of course the businesses around Xcel might rather have the NCHC because of all the out of town traffic they would see.  

If you read Blounts article the other day, you will see that there is talk of a combined tourney in Metro area.  I don't know what the logistical nightmare would be, but I would support a combined tourney.  WCHA has to just find somewhere else to play.  Sorry if that makes our friends in Mankato and Bemidji unhappy, There are 2 teams from MN and maybe a Bradley center would be better for their tourney.  The X needs to be the location for the NCHC with St Paul being more centrally located and more fans willing to go. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

If you read Blounts article the other day, you will see that there is talk of a combined tourney in Metro area.  I don't know what the logistical nightmare would be, but I would support a combined tourney.  WCHA has to just find somewhere else to play.  Sorry if that makes our friends in Mankato and Bemidji unhappy, There are 2 teams from MN and maybe a Bradley center would be better for their tourney.  The X needs to be the location for the NCHC with St Paul being more centrally located and more fans willing to go. 

I really think that if there is a combined tourney it will either be B10/WCHA or NCHC/WCHA. 

There are a couple of reasons for this...

1. The collective egos of the B10 and NCHC will make it very difficult for them to agree. Splitting revenues in that scenario would be a nightmare and seems like it would cause an impasse. There is something g to be said for having a good business relationship with those that you partner with. My guess is that as tone deaf as the b10 seems with their recent comments, they would demand the sun, earth and moon and ignore the fact that they've consistently been out drawn by the nchc and even the wcha last year (admittedly im comparing 2 different locations in 2015).

2. The attendance numbers seem like they fit better to plug in the wcha with either one (and frankly I think nchc and wcha fit nearly perfectly). Last year, the nchc averaged 11,563 and wcha averaged 7,524, or 19,087 total. The b10 the last time it was at the X averaged 8,522, if you combine that with the nchc that's 20,085. That's 1500 over capacity. 

I very well may be wrong and am seeing this with a wcha slant, but that seems like better business to me.

• Upvote 1

I would be against a combined tournament. The NCHC is still building its brand and the Frozen Faceoff is the time to do that. I think so far the Frozen Faceoffs have been successful in doing so(despite crappy boards and ice).  I really believe that combining tournaments would confuse the message and brand that the NCHC is working hard to establish.

• Upvote 2

I saw Target fairly full 1st game & hated it - fullness might even make it worse - at least I could move to a more acceptable angle & higher where I did not have to look thru phycodelic plexiglass 

Not to mention food drink atmosphere. ...sucked

If I had got hassled by ushers I could have ended up with free room & board in Minneapolis Jail

I'm not necessarily for or against combining tournaments, but I think it would make more sense to combine the WCHA with the NCHC than the B10.  For one, most NCHC fans have a long history with the WCHA teams most likely to make the tournament (whether that history comes from the old WCHA or now-defunct CCHA), so I think there would be more fan interest in the games of the other conference.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Having the tourney at the X is a recipe for disappointment. Target Center is a clean break from the lofty standard and expectations of the final five. Give them a few more years to get it together. Nostalgia is a powerful force and it's best to avoid it.

Great point.  Give Target Center another 20-30 years and things will be awesome!

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Great point.  Give Target Center another 20-30 years and things will be awesome!

Straw man with a hint of reductio ad absurdum.  Trying to disprove a statement by altering it to the point of absurdity.

Growing up in the cities I always preferred downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul.  Much more for visitors to do and easier light rail access from the airport.  At least wait until the renovations are done at the Target Center before writing it off.

9 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Straw man with a hint of reductio ad absurdum.  Trying to disprove a statement by altering it to the point of absurdity.

Growing up in the cities I always preferred downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul.  Much more for visitors to do and easier light rail access from the airport.  At least wait until the renovations are done at the Target Center before writing it off.

Minneapolis in March is March Madness. Go into a bar with a hockey jersey,they look at you like you're a leper.I have had many locals ask,where in South Dakota are you from? We had to beg a bartender at the Pourfarm (where the UND party is held) to tune one small TV to the Gopher game,being played at the X, just across the river, in the B1G tournament. Big Time Minneapolis,Good Old St. Paul. Sic Semper Tyrannus. See, I can speak Latin too.

6 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Minneapolis in March is March Madness. Go into a bar with a hockey jersey,they look at you like you're a leper.I have had many locals ask,where in South Dakota are you from? We had to beg a bartender at the Pourfarm (where the UND party is held) to tune one small TV to the Gopher game,being played at the X, just across the river, in the B1G tournament. Big Time Minneapolis,Good Old St. Paul. Sic Semper Tyrannus. See, I can speak Latin too.

Opposite of my experience during the Frozen Faceoff...Shout House pianists were welcoming and knew about the tournament, lots of bars around the arena with signs welcoming Frozen Faceoff, and asked us about how the team did. 

But its new, give it time for the hosts and fans to establish traditions.