SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameday Thread

Dustin

You do realize that you are not helping the program by being a fair-weather fan? Or maybe you don't realize that? Maybe someone on here can shoot you a PM and tell you when it is safe to go to a game again?

Either you support the program or you don't. Or you are a hockey-only rube and don't really care either way.

I went to the game last weekend.  The problem is people have to prioritize their time when they have busy lives.  My view on any team I follow is spend more time on teams that are excelling and less on ones that are struggling.  I still care, hence my posts on this site.  I am a hockey rube, when they suck, which hasn't happened for some time, I follow them less closely.  Just because someone refuses to go to every home game, doesn't mean they are a fair weather fan. 

• Upvote 1

Was hoping they could have made it close if they could have had some ball possession and the defense didn't have to be out there the whole game. It was evident early that wasn't going to happen. Knowing that the offensive line didn't give us any time, holes or push, it frustrates me that the coaches thought another athlete could find a hole where there wasn't any.  Why pull the redshirt off of Iwarri Smith in that circumstance and trade a season where he should be learning and bulking up for one that will give him the best chance to succeed? Our offensive line needs to get better, and not so sure we have the horses there to let any running backs succeed, much less a bunch of true freshmen.

Just made it back from Fargo. Tough game with both the lopsided score and the injury to Arnell - my thoughts are with him and his family.

Today showed the amount of work that UND and Bubba have left to do: they have to increase talent but they also have to aspire to build the Alerus Center atmosphere up to what Fargo has - it's pretty special. 

Defense did did some good things, but the UND offense did nothing. With no ability to move the ball, the game snowballed in the 2nd quarter. Defensive secondary and the entire offense needs to improve with BOTH better coaching AND better players. Significant disparity between UND and NDSU is still quite evident.

Best UND performer in today's game was P Mitch Meindel, but I can't say that the special teams were solid because kickoff and punt coverage was not good. 

Bubba, his staff, and the student-athletes need to just get back to work and use today's game as a measuring stick in terms of UND football's expectations. It won't be easy, and it won't happen overnight, but it can be done. UND is 2-1, not 1-10; it's still very possible that UND improves off last season by winning 6 or more games this season. Keep the faith and support coming! Yes, right now UND football is horrible offensively and only part ways there with overall depth, but the program is only in year 2 of Bubba Ball and it's where the team goes from this that matters the most. 

• Upvote 2

True definition of a fair weather fan.  Heard you jumped off the bandwagon after the Hrkac circus lost to U.S. international, then had to jump back on!

Every team has fair weather fans and UND could use a TON more of them.  Absolutely pointless to disparage fair weather fans.

If all you have are hard core fans going to games, you end up with what's been going at the Alerus Center the last several years.

Just made it back from Fargo. Tough game with both the lopsided score and the injury to Arnell - my thoughts are with him and his family.

Today showed the amount of work that UND and Bubba have left to do: they have to increase talent but they also have to aspire to build the Alerus Center atmosphere up to what Fargo has - it's pretty special. 

Defense did did some good things, but the UND offense did nothing. With no ability to move the ball, the game snowballed in the 2nd quarter. Defensive secondary and the entire offense needs to improve with BOTH better coaching AND better players. Significant disparity between UND and NDSU is still quite evident.

Best UND performer in today's game was P Mitch Meindel, but I can't say that the special teams were solid because kickoff and punt coverage was not good. 

Bubba, his staff, and the student-athletes need to just get back to work and use today's game as a measuring stick in terms of UND football's expectations. It won't be easy, and it won't happen overnight, but it can be done. UND is 2-1, not 1-10; it's still very possible that UND improves off last season by winning 6 or more games this season. Keep the faith and support coming! Yes, right now UND football is horrible offensively and only part ways there with overall depth, but the program is only in year 2 of Bubba Ball and it's where the team goes from this that matters the most. 

Any information on Arnells injury? Hope its not serious.

I have never been called a "pie in the sky" guy but I don't understand all the negativity. 

I was at the game:

The host team was very cordial. No problems at all. 

I heard some tickets being had for between $85 and $100 in the parking lot before the game.

I could sense the puckering in the 1st quarter and it was a lot of fun.

The defense played well. Yes, 34 points but the lack of UND offensive plays and short fields for NDSU should be factored in. I know NDSU throttled it down in the 4th quarter but I was not disappointed with our defense.

QB, Studsrud did as well or better than any other alternative would have done today. 

Nobody would expect the UND O line to control the NDSU D line in ideal conditions. The noise was a huge factor in the offenses inability to move the ball. That factor made a tough task next to impossible. The UND scoring drive happened when the Fargo Dome was not making the noise it had earlier and Keaton was able to work from the shotgun and communicate with his team. After that drive the crowd went back to making noise.

In my opinion, if this game is played at a neutral site nobody would be embarrassed right now.

The 2nd half of the Drake game was much worse.

The outcome of the game not withstanding, I enjoyed the experience.  Great atmosphere in the dome, the tailgate was amazing, Bison fans were very friendly everywhere we went.  

I was pleased with the D for the most part.  You just can't have them on the field for that long during a game and expect a positive result.  There are still plenty of issues in pass coverage though.

The offense has been tough to watch for the last 6 quarters and its no secret it starts with the offensive line.  Something needs to get figured out there.  Scratched my head at some of the play calling today.  

Heading into Big Sky play with a 2-1 record.  That is exceeding my preseason expectations.  I will take it.

• Upvote 1

So far this year I have witnessed probably the 2 worst halves of offensive football that I have seen in about 40 years of being a Sioux fan.  If they can't do anything but run, run, pass, punt - rinse and repeat - don't plan on packing the Alerus Center anytime soon.  I figured that we would be schooled, but the first half was brutal.  Changes need to be made - starting with the guy who calls these exciting plays.

Just got home.

Tough to get beat and the score never seemed as close as it looked.

This was a big step for the Sioux program. They needed to see exactly where they match up in D-1jv right now. 

And good for the fans to to see the entire experience the tailgating, the enthusiasm....the noise, excitement, the presentation, ....everything.

The bison fans were great, I was thanked for coming to the game over a half dozen times....offered free beer and food from different tailgaters....almost all the interactions involved chuckles laughs and memories and slaps on the back both ways.  Really enjoyed it, especially from those fans who remember the old days, ......yes the young kids who didn't have a clue where a bit annoying but hey so was I at that age.

The only thing I can really say was not great was the amenities of the Fargo dome......terrible food options, inefficient bathrooms and tight corridors.

All in all when the sun rises tomorrow, (and it will) UND needs to step back and say "that's what we need to be".

And prayers for that kids leg, that was difficult to see.

I had somewhat defended Rudolph in the past, but would now have to agree with others.....that was some pathetic play calling.  I could have been given UND's play list an hour before the game and chosen better plays than that.  Execution was horrible, but still.......the play calling wasn't helping anything.   We are as bad on offense now as we were to start the year last year, didn't think we'd go back to that level of ineptitude.  Our offense was horrible to start the year last year, which was understandable given the situation. We did improve a lot by the end of the year, sure hope we improve a LOT this year from where we are now.  But am extremely disappointed that we are back to a zero starting point on offense.  

I have never been called a "pie in the sky" guy but I don't understand all the negativity. 

I was at the game:

The host team was very cordial. No problems at all. 

I heard some tickets being had for between $85 and $100 in the parking lot before the game.

I could sense the puckering in the 1st quarter and it was a lot of fun.

The defense played well. Yes, 34 points but the lack of UND offensive plays and short fields for NDSU should be factored in. I know NDSU throttled it down in the 4th quarter but I was not disappointed with our defense.

QB, Studsrud did as well or better than any other alternative would have done today. 

Nobody would expect the UND O line to control the NDSU D line in ideal conditions. The noise was a huge factor in the offenses inability to move the ball. That factor made a tough task next to impossible. The UND scoring drive happened when the Fargo Dome was not making the noise it had earlier and Keaton was able to work from the shotgun and communicate with his team. After that drive the crowd went back to making noise.

In my opinion, if this game is played at a neutral site nobody would be embarrassed right now.

The 2nd half of the Drake game was much worse.

The UND scoring drive? You mean the one where UND had to go about 2 feet to punch it in? Lol. There were no "scoring drives" by UND in the game played today.

Look, UND is making some strides . With that being said, the neutral sight comment is just plain hilarious. I have watched a lot of football . I saw one team today from North Dakota that was frankly superior in talent than the other. If this game was played 100 times between these two teams, UND might win 1, and that is being fine. The dome had been much much crazier than today. Talent is what caused this beat down today . Not crowd noise.

Edited by 2011BisonAlumni
  • Downvote 2