SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Not sure but I know that 346 out of 346 other D1 schools think that having a nickname and logo is a good idea.

But to address your question, I question the relevancy. I haven't seen any baseless claims about what dentists prefer like there have been for students and student-athletes even after their chosen representatives voted 3-1 to get rid of the option.

My goal was a little levity- I shouldn't have quoted you directly- sorry about that. I just couldn't resist everyone's '1 out of, 2 out of, 3 out of' talk.

I have had mixed feelings over the years on the no nickname idea, one of the reasons was that there would be lost revenue by not picking a nickname and marketing it. Someone had a post yesterday (I don't know who it was and I can't seem to find it today) that pointed out there would be lost revenue from the big stakeholders in that donations would suffer. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it got me thinking why can't we have no nickname and still have something new to market. I had the idea of North Dakota Arrows back in April, but it didn't make the cut, it was deemed "Native American" imagery. I totally disagree with that as arrows have been around for 1000's of years.

If UND is going to by "North Dakota", there needs to be something to market with it, such as a new logo. The arrow logo I threw together would be a way of separating the North Dakota "ND" from the Notre Dame "ND".

UNDarrow3.jpg

I have always liked your arrow idea. You've provided a great example of what can be done to enhance the ND logo if we move forward without a nickname.

Well there's that. But even more telling, and probably under-reported so far, the message of the five rally speakers was decidedly pro "Fighting Sioux." This was not only some underlying theme. It was their overt, stated and intended message over the loudspeakers. And the "crowd" ate it up with smiles, nods, applause and like there was no contradiction in the message.

You just belittle people over and over and over that have passion in a different way than you for the same institution!

In the dictionary next to miserable SOB must have your picture!

I'm not seeing where anyone was belittled or disparaged in Teeder's post. He reported what was said. He then questioned why folks would talk about the old name at a "we don't need a name" rally. If I missed something please point it out. 

I'm not seeing where anyone was belittled or disparaged in Teeder's post. He reported what was said. He then questioned why folks would talk about the old name at a "we don't need a name" rally. If I missed something please point it out.

I don't believe anyone called that particular post out, but there have been several through the past couple days from several posters. I'm not going to name any one person, but it would probably be prudent for everyone to show a bit more humbleness when it comes to opinions.

Edit: My bad just saw the example. So disregard my above comment. But I do believe that it's been a totality of posts more so than a single post.

I think the procedural transparency and inclusiveness required to date have been achieved. It is time for the administration and the committee to show some leadership and decisiveness and bring the process to a speedy resolution.

Not that that is likely to actually happen.

I hope you're not holding your breath.  ???

I have had mixed feelings over the years on the no nickname idea, one of the reasons was that there would be lost revenue by not picking a nickname and marketing it. Someone had a post yesterday (I don't know who it was and I can't seem to find it today) that pointed out there would be lost revenue from the big stakeholders in that donations would suffer. I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it got me thinking why can't we have no nickname and still have something new to market. I had the idea of North Dakota Arrows back in April, but it didn't make the cut, it was deemed "Native American" imagery. I totally disagree with that as arrows have been around for 1000's of years.

If UND is going to by "North Dakota", there needs to be something to market with it, such as a new logo. The arrow logo I threw together would be a way of separating the North Dakota "ND" from the Notre Dame "ND".

UNDarrow3.jpg

I could get behind something like this. I agree, the ND would need something to distinguish itself from Notre Dame. I also fail to see where using an arrow constitutes Native American imagery.

I could get behind something like this. I agree, the ND would need something to distinguish itself from Notre Dame. I also fail to see where using an arrow constitutes Native American imagery.

An arrow. A horse with a breed name that "sounds" Native (Nokota). < sigh > 

It was the iceing on the cake, maybe a post too late? Either way I knew he was on the same side as the rest of us, just a different view, besides his response was great and that is why I gave him a plus one as you can see.

Had a weird thing happen today in Scheels. First off my choice for a nickname is,

1) No nickname

2/3 Roughriders/Fighting Hawks

2/3 Fighting Hawks/Roughriders

4) North Stars/Stars

Born at the GFAFB, lived in GF till 3rd grade, always a Sioux fan!

But, while trying to buy a new fillable water bottle for my daughter to bring to basketball, she grabbed a Gopher one and said "this would be cool if they had a UND one". Then she found one and it just said North Dakota on it. She then said "would this look wrong on an EGF school team bench, it looks like I'm supporting GF, (the enemy to Eastside sports) I wish they had Sioux or something on it"! My order of names is still the same, but that got me thinking about things! Just thought I'd share that....

It was the iceing on the cake, maybe a post too late? Either way I knew he was on the same side as the rest of us, just a different view, besides his response was great and that is why I gave him a plus one as you can see.

Had a weird thing happen today in Scheels. First off my choice for a nickname is,

1) No nickname

2/3 Roughriders/Fighting Hawks

2/3 Fighting Hawks/Roughriders

4) North Stars/Stars

Born at the GFAFB, lived in GF till 3rd grade, always a Sioux fan!

But, while trying to buy a new fillable water bottle for my daughter to bring to basketball, she grabbed a Gopher one and said "this would be cool if they had a UND one". Then she found one and it just said North Dakota on it. She then said "would this look wrong on an EGF school team bench, it looks like I'm supporting GF, (the enemy to Eastside sports) I wish they had Sioux or something on it"! My order of names is still the same, but that got me thinking about things! Just thought I'd share that....

That's an interesting point. I've never lived in Grand Forks, and although I was in sports that played against the schools I never really associated with the city, and really didn't associate the University with any real connection to the city outside of it being located there. I guess I would never draw the connection that your daughter did.

For what it's worth, our choices for nicknames are exactly the same.

This whole process resonates "death by committee". The 5 remaining nicknames all appear to by trying to drive a square peg in a round hole. Try as you might, they just don't fit. From my outside viewpoint, going back to Flickertails would be preferable to any of the Final 5.

I don't really agree with flickertails at all however your point couldn't be more accurate.

I'm sorry if I come across that way. My alma mater just means an awful lot to me. I tend to be very passionate about my feelings and about correcting misinformation before it becomes Internet gospel. That said, I thought I have been quite respectful when articulating my opinions directly with others on here -- unless interacting with someone who has demonstrated uncivil dialogue toward me or others now or in the past. Sometimes histories between posters go back years and transcend the nickname threads. Their hostilities actually started elsewhere and it just spills over to these threads. There's a myriad reasons why this takes place.

So again, sorry if anyone thinks I am attacking them personally instead of the positions they take on issues. I really am quite happy in my life here in Grand Forks and enjoy UND Athletics immensely, as you will see me and my family at almost every game -- women's and men's.

Peace all!

You have been more than fair with your posts Teeder. There is so much misinformation floating around on social media. Siouxsports at least has some informed posters. And yes there are informed posters who prefer we don't pick a nickname also which is ok.

You have been more than fair with your posts Teeder. There is so much misinformation floating around on social media. Siouxsports at least has some informed posters. And yes there are informed posters who prefer we don't pick a nickname also which is ok.

Totally agree!

Gopher fan friends of mine licking their chops over being able to ridicule "Sundogs" or even better, throw condoms on the ice if the selection is "Roughriders."

I'd imagine Bison fans would love Roughriders as well for football, volleyball, and basketball games.

It would be a shame if Roughrider wasn't chosen because of inane reasons such as it's the name of a condom or because Roosevelt was a racist. 

1.  Urban dictionary definitions and/or possibly nasty comments from opponents doesn't fly - Trojans (11), Beavers (10), Mules, Trolls, Blue Boys, Broncos, Cornhuskers, Flames, Gamecocks, Little Johns, Mounties - all these names could be given double meanings - I think they are probably handling it. I think if someone took the time you could find plenty of school nicknames that have slang double meanings.  

2. Last I checked Roosevelt consistently listed among our greatest Presidents, plus it's  been pointed out North Dakota is the Roughrider state, our highest state award is called the Roughrider.

• Upvote 1

If TR is so "toxic", why are the Washington Nationals still including him in their "President's race"?

6118175508_a95c9f668d_m.jpg

They scrapped the weiner race because the Polish sausage was too offensive.

In honor of Bugs Bunny's 75th birthday (today), a montage of his finest moments:  

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2015/07/24/orig-lisas-desk-bugs-bunny.cnn

Oh my goodness! Pure and wholesome Bugs Bunny said and did those things. So yes, times change. 

Like the lady at the end of the video says, " ... just like you would forgive your grandpa for saying something embarrassing, Bugs Bunny we forgive you." 

And TR would be your grandpa's grandpa. 

It would be a shame if Roughrider wasn't chosen because of inane reasons such as it's the name of a condom or because Roosevelt was a racist. 

2. Last I checked Roosevelt consistently listed among our greatest Presidents, plus it's  been pointed out North Dakota is the Roughrider state, our highest state award is called the Roughrider.

After watching a Medora Musical this past weekend in Medora, ND, my third one. If UND can't be simply UND, this would be a great second choice. The whole musical is centered around Teddy. 

• Upvote 3

I love everything about TR except how ND jumped on the Roughrider stuff that TR trumped up to get fame for his political ambition & I'm one who thinks it's wrong to steal RRS name in the same town

In honor of Bugs Bunny's 75th birthday (today), a montage of his finest moments:

http://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2015/07/24/orig-lisas-desk-bugs-bunny.cnn

Oh my goodness! Pure and wholesome Bugs Bunny said and did those things. So yes, times change.

Like the lady at the end of the video says, " ... just like you would forgive your grandpa for saying something embarrassing, Bugs Bunny we forgive you."

And TR would be your grandpa's grandpa.

That was good, my grandpa's favorite was bugs Bunny, and Sam the sheepdog. I miss grandpa!

I love everything about TR except how ND jumped on the Roughrider stuff that TR trumped up to get fame for his political ambition & I'm one who thinks it's wrong to steal RRS name in the same town

Yeah, that's it, you feel bad for Red River, that's why you said you would possibly leave town if it came about!  Give me a break!

Roughriders technically fits the work put out by the first committee, which if I'm not mistaken, was actually more expensive than this second committee. Fighting Hawks is a complete disregard to that time/money investment. If you think that first committee was fruitless though, then I wouldn't argue with you for scrapping their results as to not double down on wasted effort. I actually think that first committee took in a ton of stakeholder input though, and it's efforts shouldn't be thrown out wholesale. 

If Roughriders doesn't come through, I'd prefer no nickname. I don't like having the neighboring state's logo. I think sundogs is terrible. I already discussed fighting hawks, and I'm lukewarm on Nodaks at best. I think Nokota merited inclusion into this final list, and it's an egregious error for it to have been omitted the way it was. 

A significant rebranding would be necessary to make it work, in my opinion. I am concerned of the NCAA boogeyman's response to it. I have nothing to back it up. I won't try to come at this with hard evidence; my trepidation is all speculative. I am also worried about chants and branding efforts. I haven't seen a ton of creativity in the past 3 years, and that could be because it wasn't given as much effort as possible due to the belief it was a temporary situation. I honestly just don't love the merchandise that's been put out since the absence of a nickname (not saying that could change), and I honestly believe in game atmosphere has been affected by the current situation. I can not argue with the merits of North Dakota. I think it's important to honor the state, and I like the idea of paying homage to a lost name, which many  of us cherished. I don't think it's wise to use it as a placeholder for the name to come back. I think all hard evidence in that manner points to a very high improbability, at best. My arguments against the no nickname option are logistical, not philosophical. I don't think you don't care if you disagree with me. I understand where you are coming, as I once held the same opinion. I respect your opinion, and I hope you have a chance to voice it. My hope would be, that if that is your opinion, it is held for the right reasons, and that you could don't feel the necessity to tear down possible other nicknames we may all end up cheering for (except for Sundogs, rip away). 

• Upvote 2