SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

So my question is:  What's next and when will "that" happen? 

To me if there is a vote for any more than 2 options it is going to create an even a bigger mess.  Seems "North Dakota" and "Rough Riders" are in the lead heading down the stretch.  Vote.....get it over with...and move on!

So my question is:  What's next and when will "that" happen? 

To me if there is a vote for any more than 2 options it is going to create an even a bigger mess.  Seems "North Dakota" and "Rough Riders" are in the lead heading down the stretch.  Vote.....get it over with...and move on!

So what is #3.....because that will be the winner.

Should be worth noting that while kelley said he will reconsider no nickname, that does not mean his consideration will extend as far as actually keeping this in contention through the public vote. Or that even if it were to win a public vote, that he wouldn't go another direction. In his final decision.

Gotta love the conspiracy theorist out there!! They make rationale topics so much more interesting!! :)

Can't say it's a real big conspiracy when this quote is in the Herald,

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

I don't see where it's difficult to draw logic from the fact that committee members likely didn't vote for it for the sole purpose of Kelly vetoing it. But keep calling me a conspiracy theorist.

OK, how bout this for an option.  Kelley reduces the choices to Roughriders and North Dakota.  Put those up for a vote and see what comes out on top.  If it is Roughriders, then that is the name and the supporters of "North Dakota" can't complain because their choice made it to the final vote.  If "North Dakota" wins out the popular vote, Kelly can then inform the NCAA that UND has chosen to not have a nickname and just go with "North Dakota".   If the NCAA is OK with it, then fine.  If they say that is not an option and can't do that and that UND must select a new nickname, then default back to  Roughriders.

• Upvote 3

OK, how bout this for an option. Kelley reduces the choices to Roughriders and North Dakota. Put those up for a vote and see what comes out on top. If it is Roughriders, then that is the name and the supporters of "North Dakota" can't complain because their choice made it to the final vote. If "North Dakota" wins out the popular vote, Kelly can then inform the NCAA that UND has chosen to not have a nickname and just go with "North Dakota". If the NCAA is OK with it, then fine. If they say that is not an option and can't do that and that UND must select a new nickname, then default back to Roughriders.

Way to much common sense in this post. Will never happen.

Should be worth noting that while kelley said he will reconsider no nickname, that does not mean his consideration will extend as far as actually keeping this in contention through the public vote. Or that even if it were to win a public vote, that he wouldn't go another direction. In his final decision.

No doubt. I expect an announcement in a day or two taking it off the board again. It would fit how the process has played out.

OK, how bout this for an option. Kelley reduces the choices to Roughriders and North Dakota. Put those up for a vote and see what comes out on top. If it is Roughriders, then that is the name and the supporters of "North Dakota" can't complain because their choice made it to the final vote. If "North Dakota" wins out the popular vote, Kelly can then inform the NCAA that UND has chosen to not have a nickname and just go with "North Dakota". If the NCAA is OK with it, then fine. If they say that is not an option and can't do that and that UND must select a new nickname, then default back to Roughriders.

Nope, sorry, this would BE WAY too logical :)

I think another option that is way to logical for Kelley to employ is to add North Dakota back on the list and put them to a vote.  If there is no winner that gets greater than 50%, cut the list in half with the top vote getters moving on.  Put it to a vote again and if nothing on the ballot gets greater than 50% put the top two on the ballot again, and the winner is what we are known as from that time forward. 

Like I said before ... 

Let's read Kelley's exact words:

I believe it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname—something that will go along with continuing to be “North Dakota”—just as other major universities have nicknames. I think students, alumni, and fans would benefit from having cheers, chants and songs that connect to a true nickname. But that doesn’t and won’t detract from the fact we will always be “North Dakota.” That said, I also want to consider the additional feedback of various stakeholders in this process. Many different opinions have been expressed, and they have come from many sources. Over the next few weeks I plan to further review all the feedback received, and I will consider the possible addition of “North Dakota” in the voting process. 

Much ado about nothing folks. He tipped his hand in his wording.

He'll "further review all the feedback received" and work with his consultants (and his retirement party planner Dr. Eric Longie) and they'll help him verify as he's already said," ... it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname ... "

Or, he'll call the NCAA and have them be the bad guy in this with a "no nickname doesn't meet the intent of the settlement; name or naughty list" letter. 

Like I said before ... 

He'll "further review all the feedback received" and work with his consultants (and his retirement party planner Dr. Eric Longie) and they'll help him verify as he's already said," ... it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname ... "

Or, he'll call the NCAA and have them be the bad guy in this with a "no nickname doesn't meet the intent of the settlement; name or naughty list" letter. 

He might already have that card in his pocket.

Like I said before ... 

I think the petition people are catching on

With the help of students, alumni, faculty, multiple various media outlets, as well as avid UND fans, we were able to get President Kelley to openly respond to the public’s outcry. Unfortunately, this letter does not instill much faith that the UND/North Dakota nickname will see a fighting chance at becoming the official name of the University

Can't say it's a real big conspiracy when this quote is in the Herald,

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

I don't see where it's difficult to draw logic from the fact that committee members likely didn't vote for it for the sole purpose of Kelly vetoing it. But keep calling me a conspiracy theorist.

So because one committee member says what he thinks (and many others would agree with) and somehow it came right from Kelley's mouth?  And then to top it off, Kelley backchannels to deep six "no nickname" through the committee process only to place it back under possible consideration two days later?  If he wanted it gone, he got what he wanted and didn't have to deal with it anymore.

With how this process has played out thus far, I am very skeptical how a "public vote" will be conducted.  Will it be a true vote, or a poll (which can be skewed quite easily)?  I am sure it will be something that can be easily manipulated as the initial nickname suggestion process was or any of these newspaper polls have been.

I think the petition people are catching on

With the help of students, alumni, faculty, multiple various media outlets, as well as avid UND fans, we were able to get President Kelley to openly respond to the public’s outcry. Unfortunately, this letter does not instill much faith that the UND/North Dakota nickname will see a fighting chance at becoming the official name of the University

So what you're saying is that the only way that group of people will be happy is if Kelley declares that UND will go forward with "no nickname"?

I agree with you!!!

So what you're saying is that the only way that group of people will be happy is if Kelley declares that UND will go forward with "no nickname"?

I'll give you the whole statement made by the person who started the petition and draw your own conclusion. 

Jul 24, 2015 — Hey everyone, we would like to thank you for helping us to spread the word and joining our petition. Everyone’s feedback and the support for the UND/North Dakota nickname is appreciated and extremely helpful. As many of you already know, President Kelley sent out an e-mail this morning to the students of UND. In this aforementioned e-mail he thanked the committee for their hard work and tireless communication with their constituents. He also addressed the public’s outrage over the removal of UND/North Dakota as a nickname possibility while stating that is opinion is that “it is in the best interest of the University to have a new nickname.” President Kelley stated that his plan is to review the feedback received over the next few weeks and consider the possible addition of UND/North Dakota in a to be determined voting process.

With the help of students, alumni, faculty, multiple various media outlets, as well as avid UND fans, we were able to get President Kelley to openly respond to the public’s outcry. Unfortunately, this letter does not instill much faith that the UND/North Dakota nickname will see a fighting chance at becoming the official name of the University.

This decision should not to be made by one individual whom is attempting to instill their own agenda upon the stakeholders of the University. With this being said, President Kelley should allow a fair vote to let the majority decide what is best for the University. We will continue all of our efforts to make sure that UND/North Dakota gets placed on a ballot so that the nickname can be chosen in a fair and non-controversial manner. We ask that you do not let Kelley’s most recent statement deter your sentiments; our situation has not changed. North Dakota is not yet back on the list. Also, we ask you to please forward your comments and concerns to President Kelley via his e-mail or phone number using the contact information listed below. Once again we must continue to pressure President Kelley and his administration to reinstate the University of North Dakota option as a potential nickname in a balloted form, which is to be voted on at a later date. The more feedback we present to him the harder it will be for him to not allow the option on a ballot. This entire process has been corrupt and unjust to the University and all of its stakeholders and we cannot let this injustice stand. Keep up the pressure and let your voices be heard. 

So because one committee member says what he thinks (and many others would agree with) and somehow it came right from Kelley's mouth? And then to top it off, Kelley backchannels to deep six "no nickname" through the committee process only to place it back under possible consideration two days later? If he wanted it gone, he got what he wanted and didn't have to deal with it anymore.

Yes, two days after an onslaught of public outcry, that I'm sure has been falling right into his lap. Do you seriously think Kelly's personal wishes aren't a motivating factor for committee members? It's always been evident, right from the start that he wants a new nickname.

It would be interesting to have seen how this process would have played out if he'd have said from the start that no nickname was fine, and if it came to that he would approve. Do you think it's possible that some committee members would score things differently? I personally do. But, we'll never know because this whole process has been as much of a circus of pathetic leadership as the original retiring of the Sioux nickname.