SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Maybe they'll put a sundog/ermine on one side of the helmet and leave the other side blank, like the Steelers do with their helmet. Then you can have the no nickname thing in the first quarter and third quarter.

I'm curious how big the outcry would be if Kelley removed Rough Riders from the list before a vote.

The copyright issue has nothing to do with it. The best chance for the nickname crowd to prove their point is by distancing themselves from the Fighting Sioux Forever folks. Otherwise, it just looks like they want to unofficially be FS, which is why the committee got rid of it in the first place.

If ou are correct the committee got rid of it because of the "unofficially being the Fighting Sioux" you just made the groups point.  The committee should never have let that play a part in their decision. 

If ou are correct the committee got rid of it because of the "unofficially being the Fighting Sioux" you just made the groups point. The committee should never have let that play a part in their decision.

Why not? It's the logical (and very admitted) reasoning behind why so many people don't want a new nickname.

What do 4 out of 5 dentists think?

Not sure but I know that 346 out of 346 other D1 schools think that having a nickname and logo is a good idea.

But to address your question, I question the relevancy. I haven't seen any baseless claims about what dentists prefer like there have been for students and student-athletes even after their chosen representatives voted 3-1 to get rid of the option.

• Upvote 1

Until UND/no nickname is "officially" back on the ballot, my list stands as follows

1A) Roughriders

1B) North Stars

3) Fighting Hawks

4) Nodaks

5) overrated atmospheric phenomena that happens in the wintertime

FH is growing on me, because of the so many hidden meaning potentials it could have (illuminati! ok I am slightly joking on that one).  As for the trademark issues for my top 2 pick, I couldn't care less... :bigsmile:  If there is a way to make it work, do it.  If either RR or NS got chopped before the final vote I won't complain.... if both do, then I'll be slightly disappointed.

IF... UND/no nickname gets added on, I reserve the right the re-rank.

I will still state this however... if 4 or more names are left on the ballot, I feel that it is necessary to have 2 rounds of voting to establish a majority winner. 

I also think wearing clothes without a certain logo at protests would be helpful for giving the message that a mascot/logo isn't needed, but that is just my opinion.

Folks really showed up wearing the defunct nickname to a "we don't need a nickname" rally?

What message were they really trying to send?

OK, how bout this for an option.  Kelley reduces the choices to Roughriders and North Dakota.  Put those up for a vote and see what comes out on top.  If it is Roughriders, then that is the name and the supporters of "North Dakota" can't complain because their choice made it to the final vote.  If "North Dakota" wins out the popular vote, Kelly can then inform the NCAA that UND has chosen to not have a nickname and just go with "North Dakota".   If the NCAA is OK with it, then fine.  If they say that is not an option and can't do that and that UND must select a new nickname, then default back to  Roughriders.

The only problem I see with that scenario is that the choices would be "North Dakota" vs. Sundogs.

So, if this is going to be put to a vote, how about having the vote be between no nickname and Fighting Sioux and have the vote take place only on the 3 Sioux reservations and only among the enrolled members who live in North Dakota... No Sioux members from South Dakota. ;)

Then take that to the NCAA.

Folks really showed up wearing the defunct nickname to a "we don't need a nickname" rally?

What message were they really trying to send?

Well there's that. But even more telling, and probably under-reported so far, the message of the five rally speakers was decidedly pro "Fighting Sioux." This was not only some underlying theme. It was their overt, stated and intended message over the loudspeakers. And the "crowd" ate it up with smiles, nods, applause and like there was no contradiction in the message.

This thing really needs to end. I am in the no name/Nodak camp but I recognize that Roughriders is the name option that most people could rally behind once established. If it was mine to do I would put it to a vote between no name and Roughriders and the vote would be in mid August. The students have something called the internet. The divisiveness which becomes more shrill by the hour (as observed on this board) needs to end.

Well there's that. But even more telling, and probably under-reported so far, the message of the five rally speakers was decidedly pro "Fighting Sioux." This was not only some underlying theme. It was their overt, stated and intended message over the loudspeakers. And the "crowd" ate it up with smiles, nods, applause and like there was no contradiction in the message.

You just belittle people over and over and over that have passion in a different way than you for the same institution!

In the dictionary next to miserable SOB must have your picture!

This thing really needs to end. I am in the no name/Nodak camp but I recognize that Roughriders is the name option that most people could rally behind once established. If it was mine to do I would put it to a vote between no name and Roughriders and the vote would be in mid August. The students have something called the internet. The divisiveness which becomes more shrill by the hour (as observed on this board) needs to end.

Part of that divisiveness, in my opinion, comes from those in a certain crowd that keep referring to no nickname people as children throwing tantrums, and then turn around and attempt to hold some sort of moral high ground on the matter. It's laughable. You want civil discourse, don't make your comments come across as though you feel your are somehow superior to people of a differing point of view. Over the last two days, I've seen this perception play out over several threads, and it's akin to shouting down other posters. With that said, there are several on both sides that can carry a civil discourse, but I don't believe it's very difficult to figure out the posters I'm referring to.

• Upvote 2

You just belittle people over and over and over that have passion in a different way than you for the same institution!

In the dictionary next to miserable SOB must have your picture!

I'm sorry if I come across that way. My alma mater just means an awful lot to me. I tend to be very passionate about my feelings and about correcting misinformation before it becomes Internet gospel. That said, I thought I have been quite respectful when articulating my opinions directly with others on here -- unless interacting with someone who has demonstrated uncivil dialogue toward me or others now or in the past. Sometimes histories between posters go back years and transcend the nickname threads. Their hostilities actually started elsewhere and it just spills over to these threads. There's a myriad reasons why this takes place.

So again, sorry if anyone thinks I am attacking them personally instead of the positions they take on issues. I really am quite happy in my life here in Grand Forks and enjoy UND Athletics immensely, as you will see me and my family at almost every game -- women's and men's.

Peace all!

• Upvote 3

Not sure but I know that 346 out of 346 other D1 schools think that having a nickname and logo is a good idea.Schools. have nicknames because of a tradition that is about 100 years old...times have changed..UND can be a

vanguard

But to address your question, I question the relevancy. I haven't seen any baseless claims about what dentists prefer like there have been for students and student-athletes even after their chosen representatives voted 3-1 to get rid of the option.

Part of that divisiveness, in my opinion, comes from those in a certain crowd that keep referring to no nickname people as children throwing tantrums, and then turn around and attempt to hold some sort of moral high ground on the matter. It's laughable. You want civil discourse, don't make your comments come across as though you feel your are somehow superior to people of a differing point of view. Over the last two days, I've seen this perception play out over several threads, and it's akin to shouting down other posters. With that said, there are several on both sides that can carry a civil discourse, but I don't believe it's very difficult to figure out the posters I'm referring to.

Well when you can't attack the message attack the messenger.

Well when you can't attack the message attack the messenger.

Agreed. I'm in the no nickname side of things, not because I want to hold on to the Fighting Sioux as much as I've grown accustomed to being North Dakota. I actually think it'd be kind of cool to stay away from a nickname at this point because I can relate to the battle cry of, "We ARE North Dakota". Outside of that, I could live with Roughriders, and could tolerate Fighting Hawks. I despise Sundogs and NoDaks, and can't believe the nickname of our neighboring State is still an option, which really makes me question the intelligence of everyone on the committee and those individuals that like that name. To me, it's akin to going back to Flickertails and then adopting the Gopher logo.

• Upvote 2

I have had mixed feelings over the years on the no nickname idea, one of the reasons was that there would be lost revenue by not picking a nickname and marketing it.  Someone had a post yesterday (I don't know who it was and I can't seem to find it today) that pointed out there would be lost revenue from the big stakeholders in that donations would suffer.  I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it got me thinking why can't we have no nickname and still have something new to market.  I had the idea of North Dakota Arrows back in April, but it didn't make the cut, it was deemed "Native American" imagery.  I totally disagree with that as arrows have been around for 1000's of years.  

If UND is going to by "North Dakota", there needs to be something to market with it, such as a new logo.  The arrow logo I threw together would be a way of separating the North Dakota "ND" from the Notre Dame "ND".

UNDarrow3.jpg

I think the procedural transparency and inclusiveness required to date have been achieved. It is time for the administration and the committee to show some leadership and decisiveness and bring the process to a speedy resolution.

Not that that is likely to actually happen.