SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I wonder why that weekend... oh wait.  Welcome Weekend

Should be a nice welcome for incoming freshmen and I'm sure it'll leave their families with a great first impression.  I think we can all agree that these people really do support and want what's best for the University now.

As I stated a few pages back..........my info, which is probably as good or as bad as oneone else's, has this shaking out so that Fighting Hawks will be the new nickname....or at a minimum in the final 2.

HAHAHA, I'm all for No Nickname, but if there was ever a way to shoot it down harder, this is it.

I decided to take a quick look at the facebook page for the Sioux were silenced.  It appears they now feel the need to clarify the reason for the protest....

Here's a quote from their facebook post:

"Details are limited right now. One thing that needs to be clarified is that this is NOT a rally in support of the Fighting Sioux name. in and of itself. Rather, we are in the midst of planning a rally in support of North Dakota being brought back as an option. As is the interest of the majority of UND's stakeholders. Continue following our page for more details as they arrive"

Wow. First point... Schweigert voted against removing North Dakota from the list. Get over yourself and read more closely.

Second point... What is your basis for claiming Bahl was not voting according to what he has been hearing from the people around him? Just as your circle of influence may prefer North Dakota, his may prefer that an actual nickname should be chosen.

I understand which way Lowell voted, but prior to voting he also made the comment. Just pointing out that there are people of the opinion that their opinion is superior to everyone else's. I actually really appreciate that regardless of personal opinion he was willing to vote to allow everyone to have their input.

As for the rest, just read the message boards and look at any previous poll whether it is on here, or a newspaper website. No Nickname has been an extremely popular option; that statement is not even worth arguing. I'm not stating it should be the outright favorite or winner, but with that level of popularity, it should not have been removed from contention at this point in the process.

I decided to take a quick look at the facebook page for the Sioux were silenced.  It appears they now feel the need to clarify the reason for the protest....

Here's a quote from their facebook post:

"Details are limited right now. One thing that needs to be clarified is that this is NOT a rally in support of the Fighting Sioux name. in and of itself. Rather, we are in the midst of planning a rally in support of North Dakota being brought back as an option. As is the interest of the majority of UND's stakeholders. Continue following our page for more details as they arrive"

Well if it works, then more power to them, but generally these kinds of protests do absolutely nothing. Well within their right to protest though. Can't blame any of these folks for feeling as though they were not heard.

As I stated a few pages back..........my info, which is probably as good or as bad as oneone else's, has this shaking out so that Fighting Hawks will be the new nickname....or at a minimum in the final 2.

I'm afraid of the same thing.  It is my second choice on the list, but it's a pretty distant second choice.  I believe one of the first criteria listed for the committee in selecting a  new name talks about uniqueness.  There is absolutely nothing unique with copying what several other DI schools did when forced to change their name.

• Upvote 1

Well if it works, then more power to them, but generally these kinds of protests do absolutely nothing. Well within their right to protest though. Can't blame any of these folks for feeling as though they were not heard.

I think UND officials hear them very well.   I just think the UND officials/decision makers feel it's best to adopt a new nickname versus not adopting one.  I tend to agree with them.  The only mistake they made concerning the no nickname option, at least in my opinion, was not axing it early on.

I think we can all agree as alumni, fans and supporters of UND this whole process has been nothing short of embarrassing and pathetic.  What I have witnessed by this committee as this process has moved along has been nothing short of ridiculous........no leadership, no sense of urgency, and no understanding of public perception.......and I could go on.  Please just get this over with.

Why can't the committee take the leadership role it needed to and take the candidates to 2-3.  They were given specific criteria that should have made this an easy process.  To put these final five names in the hands of a President that seems to have a favorite in mind, I think is a mistake.  

Look at the criteria that the committee laid out for a new nickname.  Then look at the 5 names left.  It is fairly obvious that only one of the names  best fits that criteria.

I agree with this. RoughRiders may not be the best, but considering the others and the criteria  that was put forth, it fits the bill.  And of the five I think it is the best name by far.  This process continues to be an endeavor like no other.

My betting line is that the final 2 will be Fighting Hawks and Sundogs.  I don't think the committee will go with a final 3 with either Riders or Stars as one of those would win the popular vote. 

I know no one cares & I should just quit reading here

BUT I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS ABOUT THIS ANY MORE

FIGHTING SIOUX FOREVER !!!

& I just passed a kidney stone & it was less painful then reading all this crap

• Upvote 2

I haven't read the nickname threads for about 3 weeks....what a pleasant 3 weeks it has been.

I would have voted North Dakota if it was still an option assuming we get a vote. I don't understand the vitriol directed at those that would've voted for North Dakota. It's not accurate to assume everyone of us are fighting Sioux forever fanatics. It's also inaccurate to believe fighting Sioux chants and support will disappear whether a new name was chosen or not.

A few reasons I liked North Dakota- 1. Unique, 2. Indirectly tells the PC and NCAA to pound sand. 3. The selection process has been a disaster leaving only generic and poor options.

Now that North Dakota is off the table I'll move forward and support one of the other options....I'm leaning towards anything that doesn't risk portraying UND as racist white cowboys, or honor an inaccurate representation of North Dakota history, or shares its name with a condom, or will be shortened and be the same as a brand of Mom Jeans sold by Lee. Hmmm.... I guess my list is down to 4.... :-)

• Upvote 2

My betting line is that the final 2 will be Fighting Hawks and Sundogs.  I don't think the committee will go with a final 3 with either Riders or Stars as one of those would win the popular vote. 

Did they already state they will narrow it down to 2 before voting?

Why can't the committee take the leadership role it needed to and take the candidates to 2-3.  They were given specific criteria that should have made this an easy process.  To put these final five names in the hands of a President that seems to have a favorite in mind, I think is a mistake.  

I agree with this. RoughRiders may not be the best, but considering the others and the criteria  that was put forth, it fits the bill.  And of the five I think it is the best name by far.  This process continues to be an endeavor like no other.

I agree that Roughriders is the only option left that even comes close to meeting the criteria they originally set out.  But as someone mentioned earlier, it's entirely possible, maybe even probable, that if the list was narrowed down to less than 5, Roughriders would have been eliminated.  I believe it scored the worst of the 5 finalists.  If you think the sh!tstorm that's going on right now is bad, can you imagine if they had eliminated no-nickname and Roughriders at the same time?  Yikes.   At least Roughriders is still alive.

Did they already state they will narrow it down to 2 before voting?

No.....just my uneducated guess. 3 gets too complicated and might not result is a 50%+ majority vote for the "winner".

I hear you Teeder11, this wasn't meant so much to stir those that do their part, but to encourage those that don't to take action. You will never be heard if you just sit on this site and complain. You may as well talk to a rock.

It's all good, Hawk E!  I agree with you 100 percent!

Being the only school without a name would certainly be unique although I admit clothing and merchandise would be a challenge although you could definitely work with the idea of not having a name for awhile.

We could prepare a statement for broadcasters to help them explain it when we are on TV and or radio....they could repeat it as often as they like during the broadcast.

The University of North Dakota of course used to be known as The Fighting Sioux until the overreaching, corrupt, immoral, unethical, racist organization known as the National Collegiate Athletic Association decided to stick their nose where it didn't belong and told UND as well as the very people who the school was named after and who were very much in favor of the name being retained that they had to drop the name. UND has chosen to move forward without a name for now.

maybe they could hire some people to come in and break and steal stuff....that usually works.

There's no more committee.

Yup.  They've done their job and submitted five names. 

There will be a non-binding vote and then Kelley decides whether to honor that vote, choose a name from the ones voted on, or go with an entirely different name. 

So, we either rally around one name to make it difficult for him to choose something different, or trust in Kelley that he will make the correct decision.  I say rally. 

As for Lowell, I don't know him but hear high praise of the kind of person and Alumni he is, BUT that doesn't warrant taking away the opportunity for all of the supporters to have their voice heard. Don't have to agree with me, but not allowing us to vote for a clearly popular choice, is not different that the Standing Rock Tribe not allowing their people to vote yes or no on the Sioux name in the first place. What you have is a small panel telling the public interest, "We know better than you, and it is what we want that counts".

Lowell voted against removing "no nickname" alive despite his earlier comments because he thought that it should have a further opportunity.  And again, the committee was picked to represent different groups of stakeholders.  Those representatives were contacted by many of those stakeholders to have their voice heard.  This wasn't a randomly selected group of people making the decision, not sure why people keep trying sell it like it was.

As for the rest, just read the message boards and look at any previous poll whether it is on here, or a newspaper website. No Nickname has been an extremely popular option; that statement is not even worth arguing. I'm not stating it should be the outright favorite or winner, but with that level of popularity, it should not have been removed from contention at this point in the process.

Its also been the default option for the "Sioux Forever" crowd who are by far the most vocal party in all of this outside of the groups who wanted the Sioux name removed.  As someone previously stated, if social media or message boards were a true representation, than I highly doubt the voting public of ND would have voted to retire the nickname by 2:1 margin.