SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I personally hate that logo. Would like to think they could do better than that; not visually appealing at all. Would look hideous on a hockey jersey, and even worse on other sporting apparel.

i doubt that would even be close to resembling a final Hawks logo.  One thing going for the Hawks imo is that way is you could do a few creative things with the feathers to pay homage to the Sioux logo last used by the university. 

Didn't someone on here say that that logo was controlled by the Blackhawks?

That wouldn't be true based on what I've seen.

Mike Ivall, a Toronto-based graphic designer, drafted the symbol in 2008, partly in response to public outcry against the current Blackhawks Indian head, but mostly out of passion for designing hockey logos.

“Personally I have had no issue with the Hawks logo, nor has any of my family, which are all proud Ojibwas from southern Ontario,” Ivall told Chi-Town Review in an email. But Ivall wanted to offer an alternative and posted his Blackhawks rendering to a popular hockey-themed design website “It was a big deal,” Ivall said. Such a big deal that several groups, a few of them small hockey teams, began using the design without Ivall's permission.

One of these organizations, based in Chicago, printed the logo on t-shirts and sold them to Blackhawks fans. Those shirts are rare sights today, but are sometimes spotted around Wrigleyville or at hockey games, Roy said. Ivall eventually sold the logo to the Maplesoft Hawks, an Ottawa-based children’s hockey team.

Link: http://www.chitownreview.com/is-the-blackhawks-logo-racist-one-hockey-fan-wants-a-change/

Either the way, I don't think the particular logo would go well with UND's colors.

Wow, weeks later and I can make a couple minor tweaks to an old post and still be timely and relevant. What a time-saver. ;) 

(reposted here, because it probably better applies here)

My take on the Silly Seven Final Five, and I see these seven five in four categories: 

< adjective > Hawks: This is the standard consultant template. Look at Miami and a host of other schools that have dropped Native related names. It's so pattern and predictable that it's a running joke. And it needs to be dismissed out of hand. (EDIT: Today's adjective is "Fighting".)

The Unimaginative: Yes, that's Nodaks and North Dakota. Nothing says unique and creative like using the state name, or better yet, shortening it to a postal code abbreviation. The unimaginative is not worthy of a center of creativity like a university. 

The State Nicknames: Well, that's what Roughriders and North Stars are, state nicknames; except, North Stars is not North Dakota's but is Minnesota's and must be dismissed as such summarily. 

Duckies, Bunnies, Rainbows, and Unicorns; aka The Kumbahyas: Sundogs are light and sunny and rainbows ... just sunshine on ice crystals, ... or are they. Sundogs mean it's cold and going to be colder. If you're from North Dakota sundogs are not something you want to see in January. Or it means something very different and that is a Class A misdemeanor (or is it a Class C felony). 

Run through that list of trite template solutions, the completely unimaginative, and sunshine on ice crystals which also means a crime (sex in public) and what are you left with? 

Minnesota - the Gopher State
Iowa - the Hawkeye State
Nebraska - the Cornhusker State
Kansas - the Jayhawk State

North Dakota - the Roughrider State

The TR Rough Rider Award is the State's highest award. Just ask UND Athletics icons Fido Purpur and Phil Jackson

• Upvote 1

Add me to the "anything but Sundogs" group.  Of the five left, I have no clear favorite.  Sundogs is clearly the worst, and Nodaks is pretty bad as well.  The other 3?  Eh, whatever, I'll be in my Sioux gear.

Yes. Did Caggiula and Chyzk? They seem to pretty loud right now.

I have a Chyzyk Fargo Force jersey.  When the Force do fundraisers (charity auctions like Cully's Kids, Purple-n-Pucks, or game worn jerseys), the kids always sign the back.  Bryn wrote "GO SIOUX!!!!" on the 2 and his signature on the 9.  He didn't wear the name while at UND, but he fully bought in early.

And now there is an online petition to keep "no nickname" as our nickname.  270 people so far after 3 hours.

So reading the petition and their demands, a process was picked by a committee and then carried out by another committee (made up of representatives of all groups of identified stakeholders) and has taken almost a year to complete and now they don't like the results they want everything scrapped and it put to a public vote of UND students, ND residents and alumni.  What a brilliant idea all around.  I can't see anything that could go wrong with it.

• Upvote 1

Come back to me when a sundog chases down and kills a rabbit three times its size.

No need to, Sundog won't be the new name.  My preference is Roughriders, my guess is that it will be Fighting Hawks.  Either way, both of those options are better than ermine and can kill a rabbit...

Jim nailed it with his blog post today.  Do we really want to go from an original, regional name that we were all proud of to a generic name that is the trend for schools changing their contrversial native american nickname? 

If there is any takeaway from this entire process, it is, It doesn't really matter what we want. If it was, Sundogs would not be in the top 5. If it was actually about what we (the fans) want, no name would have, at least, been up for people to vote on. Again, not saying it would or should win, but should have been up for people to vote on ... if it truly was about what people (not all, but MANY) wanted.

Lowell voted against removing "no nickname" alive despite his earlier comments because he thought that it should have a further opportunity. And again, the committee was picked to represent different groups of stakeholders. Those representatives were contacted by many of those stakeholders to have their voice heard. This wasn't a randomly selected group of people making the decision, not sure why people keep trying sell it like it was.

Its also been the default option for the "Sioux Forever" crowd who are by far the most vocal party in all of this outside of the groups who wanted the Sioux name removed. As someone previously stated, if social media or message boards were a true representation, than I highly doubt the voting public of ND would have voted to retire the nickname by 2:1 margin.

This statistic is often shared totally out of context at the time of this vote there was the threat of no Big Sky and the NCAA had sent a message to all schools not to schedule UND I guarantee a majority who voted to rescind the measure would vote to keep the name if the NCAA had not generated its fear campaign.
  • Upvote 1

Wow, weeks later and I can make a couple minor tweaks to an old post and still be timely and relevant. What a time-saver. ;)

Two of those four have Hawks in them, and there is no worse nickname in all of sports than Gophers.  I would pick Ermines over Gophers.  I would pick Roughriders over Gophers.  I would pick the snot from my nose over Gophers.  And, there is most certainly snot to be picked with the high pollen index these days.

Just because people from long ago, likely under the influence of illicit drugs and/or homemade elixirs, made a bad choice for representing their state doesn't mean we have to do the same in 2015.  Aren't we supposed to improve on history, not repeat it?  The Gopher State debacle should be a cautionary tale, not a roadmap.

Since my dog has been pulled from the fight for being too big and popular, I'm left with the lesser of 5 evils and North Stars tops that list.  Yes, it's Minnesota, and perhaps its the name UofM should have selected for themselves instead of the miserable rodent.  But, it's pretty cool nonetheless and will drive my rodent friends crazy with envy.  It's the one they secretly want.  I say we rescue it from obscurity and give it the majesty it deserves.  MN, weakened with debt and DFL incompetence, will be reeling as their much wealthier, healthier and more athletic neighbor beats their butt, again.

taz

• Downvote 1

Two of those four have Hawks in them, and there is no worse nickname in all of sports than Gophers.  I would pick Ermines over Gophers.  I would pick Roughriders over Gophers.  I would pick the snot from my nose over Gophers.  And, there is most certainly snot to be picked with the high pollen index these days.

Just because people from long ago, likely under the influence of illicit drugs and/or homemade elixirs, made a bad choice for representing their state doesn't mean we have to do the same in 2015.  Aren't we supposed to improve on history, not repeat it?  The Gopher State debacle should be a cautionary tale, not a roadmap.

Since my dog has been pulled from the fight for being too big and popular, I'm left with the lesser of 5 evils and North Stars tops that list.  Yes, it's Minnesota, and perhaps its the name UofM should have selected for themselves instead of the miserable rodent.  But, it's pretty cool nonetheless and will drive my rodent friends crazy with envy.  It's the one they secretly want.  I say we rescue it from obscurity and give it the majesty it deserves.  MN, weakened with debt and DFL incompetence, will be reeling as their much wealthier, healthier and more athletic neighbor beats their butt, again.

taz

North Dakota North Stars.  Say that out loud a couple times.  Then get back to us!!

Dan Bareiro on KFAN went through the list and blew holes in everything especially North Stars.  They said "they can't do that!"  and then went on to wonder how Lou Nanne would feel about it. hahhaa  One good thing would be to piss off all the Minnesota folks.