SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

So you think everyone is just going to drop their Sioux gear and pick up that new logo jersey....Keep dreaming. This wont be a rallying of any sort, it will cause a huge rift in the fan base etc and make for an extremely awkward sports season whenever it does happen.

How would that be any different than, oh I don't know, say... the last 30 years at UND?

UND Professor John Bridewell, on the other hand, was one of seven committee members who ranked it as their least favorite option and said faculty didn't want to move forward with that.

The motion passed seven to four with Friesz, Goehring and committee members Dave St. Peter and Lowell Schweigert, a UND alumnus, casting dissenting votes.

I'm fine being of common thought with those four dissenters, rather than University Faculty.  Have to think Dave St. Peter knows a thing or two about sports marketing.  But, so it goes.  With North Dakota no longer an option, Taz must rethink the nickname landscape.  Good point on the "Hawks" cliff jump; however it's a natural move away from a Native American theme.

Here's my new list, as of today, from least awful to full on epicly massive fail

1) North Stars

2) Fighting Hawks

3) NoDaks

4/5) Roughriders/Sundogs

Yes, sorry SS Cowboys, but Roughriders is still that bad.  Among many things related to it's lameness, it's a poke in the eye at our Sioux brethren whom we once identified with and adored but have now switched sides to spite everyone.  The Herald is bending over backwards to excuse the sins of the past related to TR and his racial views specifically against Native Americans, but interesting they could never have done that for the Fighting Sioux name and it's supporters.  It's beyond irony.  But, to go from Fighting Sioux to Roughrider will certainly be in the running for most diametrically opposite nickname change in the history of the planet.

taz

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How would that be any different than, oh I don't know, say... the last 30 years at UND?

You realize more so than the logo being gone people want to keep just a handful of traditions alive and a new nickname really is trying to squash that. People wont even know how to cheer the team on. Half the building yells lets go hawks while the other half is yelling lets go Sioux. My guess is they will never get rid of yelling home of the Sioux at the end of the anthem. Nothing was being harmed the last few years why change it now. Talk about awkward. You can change the jersey but you cant change what people want to wear/say. Good luck folks.

So you think everyone is just going to drop their Sioux gear and pick up that new logo jersey....Keep dreaming. This wont be a rallying of any sort, it will cause a huge rift in the fan base etc and make for an extremely awkward sports season whenever it does happen.

This^

With Roughriders, you have Cowboys (on the ice/field/court) vs. Indians (in the stands).  Judging from some of the comments here against "no nickname idiots", I'm sure there will be some rifts.  Saw some of that with the Wild and North Stars, but doesn't come close to the passion in this fan base.

Read this online not sure if it is true or not....Local radio host Scott Hennen has revealed to us that President Kelley said during the meeting that if North Dakota were not removed from the list, that he would disband the nickname committee. In other words, they didn't have much of a choice.

Based on social media alone it is plain to see what the majority of the alumni, students, athletes and fans prefer the North Dakota option... well, at least it's plain to see for those who do not have their blinders on. Several on this site and the committee clearly have theirs firmly attached. Once again the majority of UND fan's wishes will be effed over by a small vocal minority.

Majority of ex-hockey players and some hockey fans.

You realize more so than the logo being gone people want to keep just a handful of traditions alive and a new nickname really is trying to squash that. People wont even know how to cheer the team on. Half the building yells lets go hawks while the other half is yelling lets go Sioux. My guess is they will never get rid of yelling home of the Sioux at the end of the anthem. Nothing was being harmed the last few years why change it now. Talk about awkward. You can change the jersey but you cant change what people want to wear/say. Good luck folks.

Unfortunately, I think you are spot on.

Read this online not sure if it is true or not....Local radio host Scott Hennen has revealed to us that President Kelley said during the meeting that if North Dakota were not removed from the list, that he would disband the nickname committee. In other words, they didn't have much of a choice.

What meeting?  He was not at the meeting last night.

No.  But I am excited to see this quoted as fact for the next decade.....

• Upvote 2

I think you missed the point. I never said a new nickname would be a rallying point, I said rally around one of the five so we don't end up with one like Sundogs because no nickname isn't on the list for you fighting sioux forever people. I also still expect many people to continue to wear their sioux gear, and I will be one of those as I have closet full of it. The point was about moving forward. Yes there will be bumps in the road, but it's better to move forward now than 20 years from now. Do you think Minnesota Wild was a great choice 15 years ago, I thought it stunk personally, but guess what 15 years later after 15 years of branding and marketing it isn't to bad. 

The no nickname option seemed doomed with this committee from the start.  If brought to public vote, it may have won or come close to winning. 

I think they wisely dumped it to avoid the controversy and potential danger of being the defacto Fighting Sioux for years to come. 

This biggest issue with that is the timing. If there were going to dump something that was so popular, it should have been done at the beginning, not dragged along through multiple stages of cuts. Poor execution by the commitee and President Kelly

• Upvote 1

I think you missed the point. I never said a new nickname would be a rallying point, I said rally around one of the five so we don't end up with one like Sundogs because no nickname isn't on the list for you fighting sioux forever people. I also still expect many people to continue to wear their sioux gear, and I will be one of those as I have closet full of it. The point was about moving forward. Yes there will be bumps in the road, but it's better to move forward now than 20 years from now. Do you think Minnesota Wild was a great choice 15 years ago, I thought it stunk personally, but guess what 15 years later after 15 years of branding and marketing it isn't to bad. 

I hear what you are saying but I cant compare UND to the Wild team I guess.Its a pro team that was gone for some time. If one of my fav pro teams switched names it wouldnt be nearly as big of a deal to me, not even close.

Actually the Wild still have the worst nickname in the NHL. They could change it to something else tomorrow, and I wouldn't blink.

No.  But I am excited to see this quoted as fact for the next decade.....

Just so there can be some record of what actually happened:

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

As already stated, Kelley was not at the meeting nor was any commentary from him read.  The comment was strictly an opinion put forth by one of the committee members stating why he felt the committee tasked with picking a new nickname should actually pick a nickname.

Right on!

This biggest issue with that is the timing. If there were going to dump something that was so popular, it should have been done at the beginning, not dragged along through multiple stages of cuts. Poor execution by the commitee and President Kelly

Couldn't agree with you more. 

The people that spearheaded this are Diane Hillebrand, John Bridewell, Landon Bahl and Russ McDonald. I was pretty shocked that Lowell Schweigert went along with this. I thought he had heard the message from his constituents. The ones who should be commended are Karl Goehring, Jazmyn Friesz and Dave St. Peter. They put up a good fight but could not secure enough votes to keep UND/ND on the list. Since Hillebrand and Bridewell both said they were doing only what their constituents told them, they should be emailed and let known what the people really think of their decision.