SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

I was at a store in Northern Minnesota today and I lady said she was a cheerleader in the 70's. I said I was also a cheerleader in the 70's. She asked what my team name was and I said "Roughriders". She said "that's kind of nasty isn't it?". I loved being a Roughrider in the 70's, but today that name has another meaning. All this money spent and time wasted and that's the best we can do?

I was at a store in Northern Minnesota today and I lady said she was a cheerleader in the 70's. I said I was also a cheerleader in the 70's. She asked what my team name was and I said "Roughriders". She said "that's kind of nasty isn't it?". I loved being a Roughrider in the 70's, but today that name has another meaning. All this money spent and time wasted and that's the best we can do?

You know, it really doesn't. 

• Upvote 2

I hope real ugly!. If this was truly about what the public wants, There is no way "North dakota" is off the list. It is for sure a top 5. Don't tell us this is is going to be a democratic process when it isn't. Shame on the committee for misleading the public. It doesn't matter if you're for North Dakota or want a new name, the public is not really picking the name, the committee is. This is embarrassing....

So 5 names left.......and Kelley has the hammer in hand.

Anyone else just soil themselves?

And I'd rather get a hot lava enema than have Sundogs, Nodaks or F-n Hawks selected.

Roughriders or bust! If the committee and the consulting firm can't see how this name is the only one remaining that actually means something to ND they need to be canned ! It is the only name to come as close to replacing the sioux name as anything else.

Bombers or Sodbusters or Plainsmen could have been good names with a good logo

• Upvote 3

Don't tell us this is is going to be a democratic process when it isn't. Shame on the committee for misleading the public.

They have been straightforward with process as they have went along. The first committee outlined how the second committee would be formed and operate. The second committee followed those guidelines. Not sure where you are getting your info from or claims of misleading the public.

They have been straightforward with process as they have went along. The first committee outlined how the second committee would be formed and operate. The second committee followed those guidelines. Not sure where you are getting your info from.

So in your opinion the committee(s) have done how good of a job to date using the 1-10 scale.....1 being worthless.

• Upvote 1

Roughriders or bust! If the committee and the consulting firm can't see how this name is the only one remaining that actually means something to ND they need to be canned ! It is the only name to come as close to replacing the sioux name as anything else.

Bombers or Sodbusters or Plainsmen could have been good names with a good logo

I think Roughriders has a chance of being an overwhelming vote winner. I also think it has to be or Kelley will select the probable runner up Fighting Hawks due to the ease of tradematking it.
  • Upvote 1

So in your opinion the committee(s) have done how good of a job to date using the 1-10 scale.....1 being worthless.

3  - Overall they have been worthless, but there have been a few folks on the committee who have worked to ensure the process was done right and that the public had a say in this, even though we won't in the end.

I think they've followed the directions that were laid out for them. I'm not going to throw stones at a group of people who took on an impossible task. The biggest farce in the whole thing has been the consultants.  Their meddling has caused more problems than anything else combined.

In terms of using a scoring scale, "no nickname" was the lowest scored remaining option in each of last two polls done by the committee.  Its now eliminated.  Seems fairly straight-forward whether you agree with it or not.  The change in some of the other remaining options from one poll to the other is interesting though.

• Upvote 1

I think they've followed the directions that were laid out for them. I'm not going to throw stones at a group of people who took on an impossible task. The biggest farce in the whole thing has been the consultants. Their meddling has caused more problems than anything else combined.

In terms of using the 1-10 scale, "no nickname" was the lowest scored remaining option in each of last two polls done by the committee. Its now eliminated. Seems fairly straight-forward whether you agree with it or not. The change in some of the other remaining options from one poll to the other is interesting though.

Are you a politician? You have to be a politician! Yes you're a politician!

I haven't read the nickname threads for about 3 weeks....what a pleasant 3 weeks it has been.

I would have voted North Dakota if it was still an option assuming we get a vote. I don't understand the vitriol directed at those that would've voted for North Dakota. It's not accurate to assume everyone of us are fighting Sioux forever fanatics. It's also inaccurate to believe fighting Sioux chants and support will disappear whether a new name was chosen or not.

A few reasons I liked North Dakota- 1. Unique, 2. Indirectly tells the PC and NCAA to pound sand. 3. The selection process has been a disaster leaving only generic and poor options.

Now that North Dakota is off the table I'll move forward and support one of the other options....I'm leaning towards anything that doesn't risk portraying UND as racist white cowboys, or honor an inaccurate representation of North Dakota history, or shares its name with a condom, or will be shortened and be the same as a brand of Mom Jeans sold by Lee. Hmmm.... I guess my list is down to 4.... :-)

Anyone who has ever lived knows that beaver has an alternate meaning so it is wonder how Oregon State has survived all these years. 

'This isn’t about the virtues of that nickname. That debate’s immaterial, because the NCAA’s threat of sanctions deemed it so. This is about a university committee failing to hear its constituency, and capitulating.'

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/north-dakota-angers-fans-with-fighting-sioux-replacements-125418642.html

They have been straightforward with process as they have went along. The first committee outlined how the second committee would be formed and operate. The second committee followed those guidelines. Not sure where you are getting your info from or claims of misleading the public.

Really, straightforward? You know darn well that ND as an option would have made the top 5! The committee said the most popular would be voted on. I'm pretty sure that if Sundogs had been eliminated, there wouldn't have been this uproar and you know it!!

• Upvote 3

Really, straightforward? You know darn well that ND as an option would have made the top 5! The committee said the most popular would be voted on. I'm pretty sure that if Sundogs had been eliminated, there wouldn't have been this uproar and you know it!!

They have been. The only thing they should have done was eliminate no nickname earlier. They were a committee appointed to come up with a new nickname. Staying North Dakota isn't what they were asked to do. Of the names remaining, I feel only one fits the criteria the committee was given and that is Roughriders. Unfortunately I don't think it will be selected.

• Upvote 2