SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

The fact that there are people, including former and current student athletes, calling out the comment about "courage" and making a mockery of it tells you everything you need to know about their complete lack of knowledge of the whole situation. Lowell Schweigert bleeds a deeper green and has done more for UND than any of them will ever even dream of doing.

Ding ding ding!

You're probably right about the majority however not me.  If a new name has to be chosen I simply wanted it to be something neat and unique.  Now that it will most likely be Fighting Hawks or even RR and just think that the effort and $ put into this didn't wow us.  I guess I was expecting a little more, that's all.  I knew there would be disagreements but I thought there would be at least a couple names I could buy into when we narrowed it down to 5.  Honestly, doesn't it feel like we are settling here?  I mean if you go back two years, do you think there would be overwhelming support for any of the remaining 5 names?  Maybe RR for the die hards.

Also, as you seemed to pick on my posts, by sad day I simply meant that yesterday was the date that we lost our old nickname.  Sure we officially lost it earlier but for many yesterday kind of hit home.  Just a sad day, many others (not sitting on this forum) agree with me too.

Now that this has been decided, can the "get over it, we're changing nicknames and logos" crowd and the "Fighting Sioux forever" bunch unite to defeat an enemy-in-common?

That enemy's name is Sundogs.

I'm all in on "ABS" anything bug Sundog - but I question any impact a fan site can make based on a loss of credibility due to trolls and angry discussions. However as they say "The only thing evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing". 

You're probably right about the majority however not me.  If a new name has to be chosen I simply wanted it to be something neat and unique.  Now that it will most likely be Fighting Hawks or even RR and just think that the effort and $ put into this didn't wow us.  I guess I was expecting a little more, that's all.  I knew there would be disagreements but I thought there would be at least a couple names I could buy into when we narrowed it down to 5.  Honestly, doesn't it feel like we are settling here?  I mean if you go back two years, do you think there would be overwhelming support for any of the remaining 5 names?  Maybe RR for the die hards.

Also, as you seemed to pick on my posts, by sad day I simply meant that yesterday was the official date that our old nickname is gone.  Sure we lost it earlier but for many yesterday kind of hit home.  Just a sad day, many others (not sitting on this forum) agree with me too.

I agree that I was hoping something unique and great would have come out of the selection process, but I think everyone, myself included, underestimated how far the consultants would dull everything down.  My favorite choice was Nokota and that got cut for the asinine reason that it "might sound Native American related".  I don't think the majority of the finals is all that shocking.  Roughriders has been a popular and obvious choice since long before this process started.  The PC crowd has been pushing Sundogs for a decade.  The consultants were going to get <adjective> Hawks in.  Nodaks is terrible and so uninspiring and unremarkable that I think it kind of just keeps trudging along because it doesn't draw any emotion.  North Stars would actually be OK but being that it is the state motto of Minnesota, I just don't get it.   

In early May, I predicted "Roughriders / Stars / Flame/Spirit/Sundog/inanimate object" as the final three.  I wasn't too far off.

I didn't mean to pick specifically on your posts, they just happen to highlight exactly the point I was trying to make, that there are people calling out someone that has done more for UND than any of them ever will, is incredibly well informed and has UND's best interest in mind.

After reading the article in the Herald it is once again apparent that the liberals are whining, er, i mean winning out again. The administrators, professors, don't want "North Dakota" but the committee members who are involved with running an everyday business are being thrown aside. Good Lord, even the name of our state is offensive to these folks. The committee was stacked so that no way could the people get what they wanted. This is eerily familiar to the Standing Rock vote...... or lack there of....the people weren't allowed to!!! A vote means absolutely nothing anymore. Amazing. 

Based on social media alone it is plain to see what the majority of the alumni, students, athletes and fans prefer the North Dakota option...  well, at least it's plain to see for those who do not have their blinders on.   Several on this site and the committee clearly have theirs firmly attached.  Once again the majority of UND fan's wishes will be effed over by a small vocal minority.

You mean the petulant, vocal crowd that are finally seeing that Fighting Sioux is actually not coming back?  The ones threatening to punish student-athletes by dropping their donations and support because of decisions not made by them?  I don't consider those people fans of the University of North Dakota.  They are fans of an inanmate logo that was retired a few years ago.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

UND was forced to give up the Fighting Sioux nickname because Standing Rock would not allow the tribe to vote on the issue. Most intelligent people believed that a vote by the tribal members would have been in favor of keeping the name. In today's society the majority no longer matter. What do they know ? The fact that a small minority can dictate what happens just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

A similar thing is now happening in deciding what to do about a new nickname. Arguably a majority of UND fans would like to continue without a nickname but a small group thinks it knows what is best for all and will not allow that option to be put to a vote. What are they afraid of ? The same thing that Standing Rock was afraid would happen, that the vote would not go the way they wanted.

Pretty much exactly how I see it - for the record, I would have been just as upset if Roughriders were to be eliminated from contention, as that too seems to have a lot of popular support, but it seems not many of the Roughrider supporters see the heavy-handedness of how things have played out - a case of " well that's someone else's ox that was just gored, not mine, so what's the problem?".

Also, as you seemed to pick on my posts, by sad day I simply meant that yesterday was the date that we lost our old nickname.  Sure we officially lost it earlier but for many yesterday kind of hit home.  Just a sad day, many others (not sitting on this forum) agree with me too.

This^^^

When they reduced the list to 60 something they had 3 or 4 names in the list that might have had a chance to be unique and catch on.....and then they were gone.

Weird how you didn't bother to correct those who keep saying "no nickname" was the most popular option, which is also nothing more than an opinion.

I took Jim's post to mean that that was what was said at the committee, which other sources seem to corroborate (that is was stated, not that the statement was true).

Based on social media alone it is plain to see what the majority of the alumni, students, athletes and fans prefer the North Dakota option...  well, at least it's plain to see for those who do not have their blinders on.   Several on this site and the committee clearly have theirs firmly attached.  Once again the majority of UND fan's wishes will be effed over by a small vocal minority.

Not enough info to say that it is a majority, but that and "Roughriders" seemed to garner quite a bit of popular support and for that reason both should have made the final round.  Now all we'll know is that a lot of people feel as if they haven't been listened to at all - again (or should it be "still").

Based on social media alone, the vote to retain the Sioux name and go onto the NCAA naughty list should've passed with 99% support.  Fortunately social media isn't a representative sample and we've been able to retain Big Sky membership, reestablish scheduling with Wisconsin and Minnesota, and host an NCAA regional (looked like all Sioux/UND fans in attendance had a great time, as did ESPN).  Fans who wish to continue wearing Sioux gear are free to do so (I know I will), but the University needs to move on.

• Upvote 3

Not enough info to say that it is a majority, but that and "Roughriders" seemed to garner quite a bit of popular support and for that reason both should have made the final round.  Now all we'll know is that a lot of people feel as if they haven't been listened to at all - again (or should it be "still").

Agreed.  I'd have liked to see a head to head vote between the 2.

This!!

You mean the petulant, vocal crowd that are finally seeing that Fighting Sioux is actually not coming back?  The ones threatening to punish student-athletes by dropping their donations and support because of decisions not made by them?  I don't consider those people fans of the University of North Dakota.  They are fans of an inanmate logo that was retired a few years ago.

Here's the thing...  you don't get to choose who is a fan of the University of North Dakota.  Punishing student-athletes?  Have you even heard what the student body and athletes are saying on social media?  Once again this boils down to a couple of people making their decisions for the many...

• Upvote 3

Lots of vitriol on here for people that wanted to continue with no nickname.  I personally thought it would be unique but understand the reasons for wanting to move away from the idea that we are holding on to the Sioux name; so I have no problem with it being off the table.  It is time to move on.

And it is clear now that "North Dakota" was never an option for the administration and the majority of the committee.  Fine.  But then it should have been off the table at the beginning - they should have simply stated "we are committed to moving forward with a new nickname".  It would have been the respectful thing to do.  But instead they chose to take a giant dump on the many, many supporters of the University who wanted no nickname, the vast majority of whom are fine people who care just as much about UND as anyone on this board.  The committee strung the option along, then had a meeting whose only purpose was to remove it and nothing else**.   It was the right thing to do and the absolute wrong way to do it. 

**Green Hawks and Fighting Hawks are two options of the same name, so one had to be eliminated.

• Upvote 2

Here's the thing...  you don't get to choose who is a fan of the University of North Dakota.  Punishing student-athletes?  Have you even heard what the student body and athletes are saying on social media?  Once again this boils down to a couple of people making their decisions for the many...

This is so accurate. Extremely frustrating for many to have such a passionate opionion about something, then have the option yanked before they are even allowed to speak on it via vote. If this was going to be the case, the committee should have eliminated it from day 1.

I think it is very clear the committee has their own agenda. Sad, and impossible to prove, but this entire process seems to have been somewhat of a show to create an illusion of allowing fans to have an impact on the future of the school's name.

Have you not been paying attention at all?  That's exactly why the first committee set forth the criteria to form this committee and how the members were chosen.  Everyone on it, including multiple students / student-athletes, was picked to represent specific groups of stakeholders.

And I absolutely think that someone who threatens to drop their donation and support of UND is punishing student-athletes.  Not sure what else you would call it?  Each person is free to feel what they want with their money, but let's call a spade a spade.

All of the sudden people don't get their way and the committee "had an agenda" and "it was all a show".  I challenge anyone to contact some of the members of the committee and ask them those questions.

Have you not been paying attention at all? That's exactly why the first committee set forth the criteria to form this committee and how the members were chosen. Everyone on it, including multiple student athletes, was picked to represent specific groups of stakeholders.

And I absolutely think that someone who threatens to drop their donation and support of UND is punishing student-athletes. Not sure what else you would call it? Each person is free to feel what they want with their money, but let's call a spade a spade.

All of the sudden people don't get their way and the committee "had an agenda" and "it was all a show". I challenge anyone to contact some of the members of the committee and ask them those questions.

You meant represent one specific group!

And....yes.

You got your way, we know, so you are all giddy, we get it...

• Upvote 1

I've seen a few but they have only been from one sport -- the one that has for decades has worn the logo on their sweaters.  Can you give me a broader list of UND athletes who are clearly upset by what happened last night?  I could do it, too, but it sounds like you have been really monitoring it closely. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!  Much appreciated!

This committee was put together to come up with a new nicname for UND.  ANd now that it is apparent that they will do that, people that wanted no nickname are upset?!!  People....this was what they were asked to do.  TO come up with a new nickname.  North Dakota is not a nickname. 

• Upvote 2

I really think the list of schools that have dropped native american nicknames and gone to some version of "xyz Hawks" needs to get more play in the public eye. Was that you, jdub27 that put that list together?  

That's an eye opening list that basically says dropping your nickname and picking something with Hawks in it is like jumping over the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.

The only think it is better than is Sundogs.   

• Upvote 1

This committee was put together to come up with a new nicname for UND.  ANd now that it is apparent that they will do that, people that wanted no nickname are upset?!!  People....this was what they were asked to do.  TO come up with a new nickname.  North Dakota is not a nickname. 

Then President Kelly never should have said it was on the table at the beginning of the process, and the committee should have eliminated it immediately. When you leave it on the list throughout the entire process, then it was an option. You can't blame people for being upset, when one of the most (arguable THE most) popular option is eliminated during the last cut. You don't have to like that particular option, but with its popularity, and it being in contention up to this point, the ONLY reason to remove it now is that it doesn't align with what the committee members want.

• Upvote 1