SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Really, straightforward? You know darn well that ND as an option would have made the top 5! The committee said the most popular would be voted on. I'm pretty sure that if Sundogs had been eliminated, there wouldn't have been this uproar and you know it!!

The committee was charged with picking a new nickname. None of the above is not really a choice as a nickname. So, how could it be considered in the top five of nickname choices?

I do agree that Sundogs is a horrible choice, but it is an actual nickname, which qualifies it as such.

Clearly the nickname should be Roughriders. Everyone that complains about it because of Red River are clueless. It's a high school for Petes sake who cares!? If Central feels "isolated" by it then tough sh!t! Look up North Star state and Minnesota pops up obviously as you all know already. So knock that out. Look up Roughrider state and North Dakota pops up. There's your answer to what the nickname should be. Original in the college game and basically in any well known sport in the U.S.

The committee was charged with picking a new nickname. None of the above is not really a choice as a nickname. So, how could it be considered in the top five of nickname choices?

I do agree that Sundogs is a horrible choice, but it is an actual nickname, which qualifies it as such.

I understand your point, but I feel like the committee strung those who wanted ND along. If they felt having ND did not fit the "nickname" criteria, it shouldn't have made the first cut.

• Upvote 2

Clearly the nickname should be Roughriders. Everyone that complains about it because of Red River are clueless. It's a high school for Petes sake who cares!? If Central feels "isolated" by it then tough !@$!! Look up North Star state and Minnesota pops up obviously as you all know already. So knock that out. Look up Roughrider state and North Dakota pops up. There's your answer to what the nickname should be. Original in the college game and basically in any well known sport in the U.S.

Yep, makes too much sense...which is why it will probably be eliminated before it goes to a vote.

Can we just call this what it currently is:  Hockey vs. Everyone Else who ever attended UND.  It's quite obvious when looking at twitter and this site that it's ex/current-hockey players and current hockey fans complaining about not being able to stay "North Dakota".  I have yet to see a football fan want to stay North Dakota and I know a lot of them.  Hell, the hockey SID wants to move on and support the university.   

BTW, did anyone hear about what Chelsea Moser said in one their committee meetings awhile back?  To paraphrase secondhand, she said the volleyball team was instructed to go by "UND" or "North Dakota" back in the 2012-2013 range because the name is gone and that is the new name.  Then, she openly asked why hockey players continue to keep referring to the name and openly supporting it when volleyball was explicitly told to stop and support the new process and transition.  Not a bad question. 

• Upvote 4

I fear we're headed down the road that most schools who were in a similar situation go down....some sort of animal. 

Fighting Hawks?

What.....? Is this real life?? How bland. How boring. How....how....awful. 

Nodaks is bad.

North Stars shouldn't even be considered, apparently no one on the committee learned Minnesota is the North Star state

Sun Dogs is tacky as hell

Roughriders.....oh roughriders....can we please for the love of god let Red River HS have this one? I've heard of High Schools taking the name of colleges or pro teams, but not vice versa....

I didn't think that we were moving to fast in this process until now...I think we've made a terrible mistake....a terrible terrible mistake.  If I may quote from Dennis Reynolds of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, "No, no, please! What’ve I done? Oh, God, what’ve I done?"

I understand your point, but I feel like the committee strung those who wanted ND along. If they felt having ND did not fit the "nickname" criteria, it shouldn't have made the first cut.

I agree 100%. I wonder why though? Maybe Kelley interceded? Not that it matters now.

Can we just call this what it currently is:  Hockey vs. Everyone Else who ever attended UND.  It's quite obvious when looking at twitter and this site that it's ex/current-hockey players and current hockey fans complaining about not being able to stay "North Dakota".  I have yet to see a football fan want to stay North Dakota and I know a lot of them.  Hell, the hockey SID wants to move on and support the university.   

BTW, did anyone hear about what Chelsea Moser said in one their committee meetings awhile back?  To paraphrase secondhand, she said the volleyball team was instructed to go by "UND" or "North Dakota" back in the 2012-2013 range because the name is gone and that is the new name.  Then, she openly asked why hockey players continue to keep referring to the name and openly supporting it when volleyball was explicitly told to stop and support the new process and transition.  Not a bad question.

Couldn't have said it better.

I really really really love UND hockey. I will fight you if anyone says different (apologies to Will Ferrell). But it is true Hockey is the only program that has revered the old nickname and logo to the point that those monikers have reached an almost mythical deity-like status in the lore of the program. Sprinkle in 7 national championships, a magnificent gift from a great hard working alumnus, and an NHL pedigree that is hard to match anywhere, and you have what we have today--- thousands and thousands of people around the world who adore and follow the program and its rich history, but who could not care less about the school as an institution and its other sports because they have no other connections apArt from hockey. Now this might be a nice "problem" to have, but it's areal pain in the arse when your trying to resolve an issue that impacts all of school's sports programs.

• Upvote 1

I can hear it now... "Here comes your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks" drowned out by SIOUX! Awesome!

And rest assured, some folks on the committee can probably hear this now, too, which is why Sundogs will keep gaining momentum over the "erase the past" crowd.

Can we just call this what it currently is: Hockey vs. Everyone Else who ever attended UND. It's quite obvious when looking at twitter and this site that it's ex/current-hockey players and current hockey fans complaining about not being able to stay "North Dakota".

...and here we go again...blame the hockey fans.

Couldn't have said it better.

I really really really love UND hockey. I will fight you if anyone says different (apologies to Will Ferrell). But it is true Hockey is the only program that has revered the old nickname and logo to the point that those monikers have reached an almost mythical deity-like status in the lore of the program. Sprinkle in 7 national championships, a magnificent gift from a great hard working alumnus, and an NHL pedigree that is hard to match anywhere, and you have what we have today--- thousands and thousands of people around the world who adore and follow the program and its rich history, but who could not care less about the school as an institution and its other sports because they have no other connections apArt from hockey. Now this might be a nice "problem" to have, but it's areal pain in the arse when your trying to resolve an issue that impacts all of school's sports programs.

Agree with you that people could not care less about the school as an institution of higher learning, but to be honest with you, the direction the school is taking as it relates to learning gives me less passion for the school on that side of things. It has become more a bastion of political correctness lately that doesn't accept ideas that don't fit the prevailing line of thought -- which is that of professors that wish to advance their agenda rather than teach and encourage freedom of ideas. Having a nickname pushed on us like Sundogs that was pushed by that crowd, and something generic, pushed by an all-knowing consultant won't alleviate those feelings of moving the University further down that path.
  • Upvote 1

Agree with you that people could not care less about the school as an institution of higher learning, but to be honest with you, the direction the school is taking as it relates to learning gives me less passion for the school on that side of things. It has become more a bastion of political correctness lately that doesn't accept ideas that don't fit the prevailing line of thought -- which is that of professors that wish to advance their agenda rather than teach and encourage freedom of ideas. Having a nickname pushed on us like Sundogs that was pushed by that crowd, and something generic, pushed by an all-knowing consultant won't alleviate those feelings of moving the University further down that path.

BREAKING NEWS:

The University of North Dakota has announced its name change. From now on, the school will be known as the...

...University of North Dakota, Berkeley.

I am all ears as to what I said that isn't true. Or what Ms. Moser said.

What certain posters on here say and what is said on twitter backs up my statement.

90% of my posts are in the hockey forum...and I've disliked the idea of being just "North Dakota" from the start. And I'm not on Twitter.

90% of my posts are in the hockey forum...and I've disliked the idea of being just "North Dakota" from the start. And I'm not on Twitter.

Great. I wasn't talking about you. There are plenty of examples of what I was talking about.

It's exactly as you describe it. But it was that way when I wnet to school there in the early 90s and its hasn't gotten better or worse. It's largely the same as it ever was. I will say, however, that Aerospace and engineering are even better than the past with their UAS and Petroleum engineering growth. Business and Entreoreneurship are strong. Certain allied health programs are very good. But education and communication have really gone to pot.

PBS, channel 597 has a show on tonight at 10 about Teddy Roosevelt's time in North Dakota, and how it made him. Gotta love his rugged individualism and never back down attitude. Kind of person the state could be proud of -- wait, we should find a name that supports people that are constantly victims.

I wonder how many people on here went to UND but are from another state. It's easy to say things like this about "fans of the hockey team" who didn't go to the school, but I could say something similar about somebody who went to UND but is not from North Dakota. They didn't grow up in North Dakota. They don't get how much all this means to people that did grow up in North Dakota. I grew up in Mandan. I didn't go to UND or NDSU, but I grew up loving both schools. I went to the University of Minnesota--mainly because I had family living in the Twin Cities that I could stay with, but not in Grand Forks. (I would have chosen UND over both NDSU and Minnesota, if all things were equal. I loved UND when I went on my campus visit.) In my day we were taught North Dakota history extensively. A lot of that was about the natives that lived in what became North Dakota. We took pride in it. It was our history. We were taught that the natives had honor, pride, were family-oriented, etc. We'd like to think we were cut from the same cloth. This isn't an easy transition, and it burns our ass that the Fighting Sioux name was lost because outside forces got overly P.C. It's easy to say "get over it," but this means something to us. It's why there is such emotion that boils over when the people are given five lousy names to vote on. (I'd argue four lousy names and one solid one that will likely get cut before a final vote.)

• Upvote 1

What certain posters on here say and what is said on twitter backs up my statement.

1912: Of course it's true, I read it in the paper!

1944: Of course it's true, I heard it on the radio!

1980: Of course it's true, I saw it on TV!

2015: Of course it's true, I read it on Twitter!

I wonder how many people on here went to UND but are from another state. It's easy to say things like this about "fans of the hockey team" who didn't go to the school, but I could say something similar about somebody who went to UND but is not from North Dakota. They didn't grow up in North Dakota. They don't get how much all this means to people that did grow up in North Dakota. I grew up in Mandan. I didn't go to UND or NDSU, but I grew up loving both schools. I went to the University of Minnesota...

Hmnnn...you had me hooked for a minute and then all of a sudden, you lost me. Just kidding, absolutely GREAT post, including the part I cut out.

I'll offer up another tyoe of fan, though: one who spent 22 years as a born-and-raised native North Dakotan who just recently hit the tipping point of having now spent the majority of his life as a resident of somewhere else. To this day, when people ask me where I'm from, the answer is still "North Dakota...but I live in Wisconsin now."