SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

Lowell voted against removing "no nickname" alive despite his earlier comments because he thought that it should have a further opportunity. 

Its also been the default option for the "Sioux Forever" crowd who are by far the most vocal party in all of this outside of the groups who wanted the Sioux name removed.  As someone previously stated, if social media or message boards were a true representation, than I highly doubt the voting public of ND vote to retire the nickname by 2:1 margin.

Wow. Nothing like comparing apples and orang.......err elephants.

Maybe I've missed some info lately....But....If the committee's job is done now anyway, what was the point of the threat to disband the committee if 'North Dakota' remained on the list to hand in to the El Presidente?

I don't think the commitees job is done.  Still have things to figure out like if the names need to be narrowd down at Kelley's request, when the vote will be, who will get to vote, etc.  Unless Kelley and his office are going to determine all that. 

Yup. They've done their job and submitted five names.

There will be a non-binding vote and then Kelley decides whether to honor that vote, choose a name from the ones voted on, or go with an entirely different name.

So, we either rally around one name to make it difficult for him to choose something different, or trust in Kelley that he will make the correct decision. I say rally.

I agree- let's just rally around whichever name I decide I like the best- that makes the most sense from my point of view.

Nodaks is IMO a good option for those of us that don't feel a pressing need to take on a new identity. It would be inclusive of anyone from ND or who attended UND. Its is comparable to Sooners for UO which is unique to that university and readily identifiable.

Except that I've met very people from the state who actually like the term. I've never heard a North Dakotan describe themselves as Nodaks. I've heard people from Minnesota use the term. I normally correct them when they use it.

I liked Nokota originally. If I had my pick, the final three would have been: no nickname, Nokota, and Roughriders. I understand some people from Grand Forks don't like that it's the same nickname as a local high school, but I don't think it's a reason to be eliminated. There are high schools in Minnesota that use Vikings. One (South St. Paul) has Packers as their nickname. North Dakota is the Roughrider State. That's the only option left that I'd be comfortable with. North Stars is stolen from a neighboring state. Nodaks and Sundogs are terrible. Fighting Hawks is not original. After Roughriders gets eliminated (and I fully expect it will after following this process), I will be at wit's end.

• Upvote 3

I don't think the commitees job is done. Still have things to figure out like if the names need to be narrowd down at Kelley's request

Might want to tell the Herald as the headline states:

" Committee forwards 5 nicknames for public vote"

Combining this and the Herald polls. RoughRiders is the clear winner as its #1 is both polls. But this one has Hawks in second while the Herald has North Stars.

When asked about looking up the urban dictionary of Sundog, one of the committee members said they already knew about that.  Funny how the consultant took the time to make people aware of the connotations of "Roughrider", but failed to make the same case about "Sundogs" in public, until people called him out on it.   Hmmm!

• Upvote 1

I liked Nokota originally. If I had my pick, the final three would have been: no nickname, Nokota, and Roughriders. I understand some people from Grand Forks don't like that it's the same nickname as a local high school, but I don't think it's a reason to be eliminated. There are high schools in Minnesota that use Vikings. One (South St. Paul) has Packers as their nickname. North Dakota is the Roughrider State. That's the only option left that I'd be comfortable with. North Stars is stolen from a neighboring state. Nodaks and Sundogs are terrible. Fighting Hawks is not original. After Roughriders gets eliminated (and I fully expect it will after following this process), I will be at wit's end.

Well if they don't want to have the same name as a team in town, then North Stars is out as well, because isn't the name of the summer league football team the Tri City North Stars?

John Dahl also sharing some of his thoughts...which includes quotes from Jdub.

http://blog.siouxsports.com/2015/07/22/fighting-hawks/

My fear is that people will believe that the logo posted in the comments will be what UND would adopt as a logo. And for that reason, rally behind Fighting Hawks.   It's not a bad logo, but I think that it may too closely resemble the old logo and for that reason, the NCAA would approve the name but not the logo.

Agreed, I was a fan of Nokota from early on. No reason to have eliminated that so early one. It was original, unique to the region (state horse), and there is nothing controversial about a horse.

• Upvote 1

Tom Miller also sharing some of his thoughts...which includes quotes from Jdub.

My fear is that people will believe that the logo posted in the comments will be what UND would adopt as a logo. And for that reason, rally behind Fighting Hawks.   It's not a bad logo, but I think that it may too closely resemble the old logo and for that reason, the NCAA would approve the name but not the logo.

I personally hate that logo. Would like to think they could do better than that; not visually appealing at all. Would look hideous on a hockey jersey, and even worse on other sporting apparel.

Tom Miller also sharing some of his thoughts...which includes quotes from Jdub.

That's doesn't appear to be Tom Miller.

There is a method to their madness, that weekend they picked is the same week is when all the students will be back.  It is not a coincidence why they chose that weekend.

I'm aware and I agree.  I think my point still stands though.

There is a method to their madness, that weekend they picked is the same week is when all the students will be back.  It is not a coincidence why they chose that weekend.

Let them have their protest.  Having the Sioux were Silenced group be the organizer of the no nickname protest does more harm for the no nickname supporters cause than it does good.

Not sure if I am crazy or it but I swear yesterday that I read so lime to ng that said Kelley could add names if he wanted. Can anyone help me find that?

I think it was reported that KG had said that when the motion to send Kelley the remaing 5 names was passed.  Would seem odd that he would add any at this point.

John Dahl also sharing some of his thoughts...which includes quotes from Jdub.

Didn't someone on here say that that logo was controlled by the Blackhawks?

Having a rally to support the no nickname  option is going to create  a lot more negativity than positivity to this mess.     Can we just PLEASE just  move on.    They will be hurting their cause rather than helping it. 

• Upvote 1