SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote on your final 5 nickname choices (just ND is out)

jimdahl

Which nicknames are acceptable  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the final five are acceptable (you can choose more than one)

• Nodaks
    • North Stars
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Sun Dogs
    • Roughriders

The people that spearheaded this are Diane Hillebrand, John Bridewell, Landon Bahl and Russ McDonald. I was pretty shocked that Lowell Schweigert went along with this. I thought he had heard the message from his constituents. The ones who should be commended are Karl Goehring, Jazmyn Friesz and Dave St. Peter. They put up a good fight but could not secure enough votes to keep UND/ND on the list. Since Hillebrand and Bridewell both said they were doing only what their constituents told them, they should be emailed and let known what the people really think of their decision.

I already did. I wrote  "Thanks for doing what you should have done from the beginning."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Siouxstudent- if you don't like the Wild reference how about a division one college? Marquette University used to be the Warriors and in the late 80s early 90s (can't remember exact date) they changed to golden eagles for similar reasons to this. Now it's tough for an old guy like me to even remember them as the Warriors now and even by the late 90s it was tough to remember that. Now, imagine if they would have waited until say 2005 to change their name. They would've lost out on 15-20 years of marketing as the golden eagles when a lot of people by that time had already forgotten they were the Warriors.

That is the exact same situation at a school with a much bigger profile than UND. That's a Big East basketball school. You might be a student now but the student at UND in 4-8 years will only know UND as the fighting Hawks, Roughriders or whatever. School traditions at games change over time, and as the years go on new students will create new cheers and traditions. Things done at games now are much different than when I was in school and will be much different down the road. Better to change it now than down the road, there has been 5-10 years to mourn the Sioux name it's been beaten to death.The quicker UND gets through the initial bumps in the road the quicker people can move on. I'd rather do this now than in 15-20 years with the potential of this fighting Sioux controversy still hanging over our heads. I say all that as someone who lived and breathed the Sioux name. As I've said before, go Fighting Sioux, go UND, and go whatever name is picked (except Sundogs)

I think you missed the point. I never said a new nickname would be a rallying point, I said rally around one of the five so we don't end up with one like Sundogs because no nickname isn't on the list for you fighting sioux forever people. I also still expect many people to continue to wear their sioux gear, and I will be one of those as I have closet full of it. The point was about moving forward. Yes there will be bumps in the road, but it's better to move forward now than 20 years from now. Do you think Minnesota Wild was a great choice 15 years ago, I thought it stunk personally, but guess what 15 years later after 15 years of branding and marketing it isn't to bad.

So that is the new goal. Pick a new name, it won't be so bad.

I will always be a UND fan and will buy "UND" apparel as long as it doesn't have a lame name on it. The Wild are one of my favorite(#3) NHL teams and I cheer for them but it doesn't change the fact that "Wild" was, is, and will continue to be a horrible name.

Just so there can be some record of what actually happened:

"President Kelley, if we send him North Dakota, no nickname, I think he could just disband the committee or just say we could start over or he could just veto it," Bridewell said.

As already stated, Kelley was not at the meeting nor was any commentary from him read.  The comment was strictly an opinion put forth by one of the committee members stating why he felt the committee tasked with picking a new nickname should actually pick a nickname.

Or Kelly told him as much.

For those claiming that students and athletes overwhelming supported "no nickname" it should also be pointed out that it was dropped by a vote a 7-4 and  only 1 of the 2 current student and neither of the student-athletes voted to keep it alive.  One of the no votes was someone who didn't believe it should be chosen but was of the opinion that it should remain an option.  Either the support for "no nickname" isn't as strong as claimed or 3 of the 4 committee members appointed to represent the students and student-athletes didn't get the memo.

• Upvote 3

That's not the goal at all Petey. My point was there are 5 names left you can either get behind one and vote or you can live with what happens in the vote. There are 5 names left what are the other options? I guess you can sit back and sulk and complain, but there was no new goal with what I said. Simply saying there are 5 names left and I think people should get behind one they like or can live with because if not we might just end up with Sundogs.

The people that spearheaded this are Diane Hillebrand, John Bridewell, Landon Bahl and Russ McDonald. I was pretty shocked that Lowell Schweigert went along with this. I thought he had heard the message from his constituents. The ones who should be commended are Karl Goehring, Jazmyn Friesz and Dave St. Peter. They put up a good fight but could not secure enough votes to keep UND/ND on the list. Since Hillebrand and Bridewell both said they were doing only what their constituents told them, they should be emailed and let known what the people really think of their decision.

Lowell didn't go along with it. He was one of the four. More misinformation.

Or Kelly told him as much.

Why don't you ask John yourself if that's how it all went down? He is one of the finest and most respected professors in the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences and one of the main reasons why UND is where it is in regard to global leadership on UAS development (in other words, not your typical pointy-headed Ivory Tower type prof).  He can be reached at bridewel@aero.und.edu

He will give you a straight and honest answer.

Siouxstudent- if you don't like the Wild reference how about a division one college? Marquette University used to be the Warriors and in the late 80s early 90s (can't remember exact date) they changed to golden eagles for similar reasons to this. Now it's tough for an old guy like me to even remember them as the Warriors now and even by the late 90s it was tough to remember that. Now, imagine if they would have waited until say 2005 to change their name. They would've lost out on 15-20 years of marketing as the golden eagles when a lot of people by that time had already forgotten they were the Warriors.

That is the exact same situation at a school with a much bigger profile than UND. That's a Big East basketball school. You might be a student now but the student at UND in 4-8 years will only know UND as the fighting Hawks, Roughriders or whatever. School traditions at games change over time, and as the years go on new students will create new cheers and traditions. Things done at games now are much different than when I was in school and will be much different down the road. Better to change it now than down the road, there has been 5-10 years to mourn the Sioux name it's been beaten to death.The quicker UND gets through the initial bumps in the road the quicker people can move on. I'd rather do this now than in 15-20 years with the potential of this fighting Sioux controversy still hanging over our heads. I say all that as someone who lived and breathed the Sioux name. As I've said before, go Fighting Sioux, go UND, and go whatever name is picked (except Sundogs)

And if you go to a game, about half of their fans and even students who weren't even alive when they were the Warriors are adorned in Warrior gear. I have asked many people "Quick, tell me the name of Marquette's athletic teams and they either can't answer or say Warriors"....try it on an college sports fan.

Why don't you ask John yourself if that's how it all went down? He is one of the finest and most respected professors in the John D. Odegard School of Aerospace Sciences and one of the main reasons why UND is where it is in regard to global leadership on UAS development (in other words, not your typical pointy-headed Ivory Tower type prof).  He can be reached at bridewel@aero.und.edu

He will give you a straight and honest answer.

Thanks. I will.

Nodakhoops, you left out the part about Marquette changing the name to Gold and having to change it a week later because the backlash was so huge.  Students hated it, angry alumni flooded the place with angry calls and emails.  Didn't go over so well, and it was because those upset (students and alumni) spoke up and made a difference.  If you're upset about the choices you've been given, then stand up and be heard, rather than go with the herd. 

Nodakhoops, you left out the part about Marquette changing the name to Gold and having to change it a week later because the backlash was so huge.  Students hated it, angry alumni flooded the place with angry calls and emails.  Didn't go over so well, and it was because those upset (students and alumni) spoke up and made a difference.  If you're upset about the choices you've been given, then stand up and be heard, rather than go with the herd. 

Seems like a lot of one-time hard core (so they say) UND fans are taking your advise and "going with the herd" after last night's meeting. Sounds as if they're jumping ship and getting their NDSU season tix as we speak.

Why do the masses want to have "no nickname"? Obviously, North Dakota is not a nickname, because its a proper identifier, the actual name of the state, and the actual name of the university. A nickname is a substitute for the proper term, not a redundancy. 

I can say with fair certainty the public favoritism towards "no nickname" is not because having "no nickname" would be beneficial to the university as a DI school, because, clearly, no other universities of DI status claim "no nickname". It largely limits marketing and identification qualities on a NATIONAL scale (which should be the goal of any DI athletic program), not just a local scale. 

Also, the claim that the list contains no proper replacements is perhaps reasonable, but not catastrophic as some suggest. Roughriders or Fighting Hawks would do just fine. High schools athletics do not even compare to DI college athletics. Secondly, non-GF graduates and most outside of the Grand Forks area could care less what the local high school mascots are. Additionally, some logos suggested for the Fighting Hawks have been quite artistic and unique and would have positive marketing potential. 

In all reality, this entire emotional tirade is nothing more than a bunch of supporters having severe difficulty letting go. Blame the NCAA. Blame the legal settlement terms. But do not blame the nickname committee for having to do what their title suggested: select a nickname. Why should we condone the message "If we can't have this, then we should have nothing at all"? That is a societal fallback that is deplorable and problematic. Compromises need to be made in several contextual areas in life, and simply doing nothing is the emotional, irrational alternative to that; as a supporter of constructive criticism, procedural deliberation, and objective thought, I support the former rather than the latter.  

Nicely put.

Nodaks and North Stars are just non-starters for me.  Fighting Hawks is just so generic, but I could deal with it I guess.  I don't have the vitriolic hatred of Sundogs as most do, I think it is a cool atmospheric phenomena (my bias showing through - hence my username), and Urban Dictionary is just the dumbest reason to drop something.  That said, I understand that most hate it.  That leaves roughriders, which is what I figured would be the name since this all started a million years ago. 

/another libby-liberal

If Sundog's is selected, you may see a similar response!!!

And here we go.....

Facebook - 

Local radio host Scott Hennen has revealed to us that President Kelley said during the meeting that if North Dakota were not removed from the list, that he would disband the nickname committee. In other words, they didn't have much of a choice. None of us should be alright with this. The State Board needs to kick him out of his position immediately.

Nicely put.

Nodaks and North Stars are just non-starters for me.  Fighting Hawks is just so generic, but I could deal with it I guess.  I don't have the vitriolic hatred of Sundogs as most do, I think it is a cool atmospheric phenomena (my bias showing through - hence my username), and Urban Dictionary is just the dumbest reason to drop something.  That said, I understand that most hate it.  That leaves roughriders, which is what I figured would be the name since this all started a million years ago. 

another libby-liberal/

Never thought I would ever agree with so many liberals!! :)

• Upvote 1

And here we go.....

Facebook - 

That is pathetic..... a textbook example of how the Internets proliferates misinformation at the speed of light. Wow. Just Wow!  Like you said, it will be recited as gospel on here and other places for years to come.

Sorry Hawk E I could've went with the 15-20 other universitites that have also did this but just decided on Marquette. Would Stanford, Miami, ULM, eastern Michigan been better? Are you unhappy with the names or just the fact No nickname isn't an option? Big difference in my opinion. If there was another actual nickname the masses wanted I guess I didn't see it throughout the process. There are probably 50-100 I would've been ok with, and of the last 5 I can live with 4 like 3 and prefer 1-2.

I would encourage you to email if you don't like the choices but you really should've did that sooner. Again big difference between standing up about the nickname choices than standing up because no nickname isn't an option.

Teeder11, you need to read that again for context, it said be heard, rather than go with the herd. Make you opinion known rather than sit and kibitz on a fan site. Make noise, make a difference, create a stir, be loud, let those that can actually make a difference know what you're thinking. Sitting on this forum grousing will not do anything for you except make you blood pressure go up.