SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:07 AM, Bison Dan said:

Where's UND's plan?  Probably just going to run another deficit.  It'll be fun to see how much your athletic dept is short this year-end.  

If/when UND comes out with a plan for FCOA, they will most likely explain what the plan is, and will detail what it is for.   NDSU's drastic hike demand 2 years into a 5 year plan regarding student fees, and no reasonable explanation other than....um....we need more money...for like.... things, and stuff......(even though we all know it has to do with FCOA), is why this issue has entertainment value for many of us.

• Upvote 3

Former student fee advisory board member Conner Swanson presented facts of the five-year plan Monday to Phelps and Maughan.

Swanson said it was understood in 2014 the increase he made the motion for athletics to receive was a five-year plan, quoting Walter Lanza, former office of finance executive commissioner from the 2014 SFAB minutes.

“And he said this is a five-year goal … but a five-year goal for funding and then the intention was to be back in five years to look at increases. … In the minutes, it does clearly say this was a five-year intention,” Swanson said.

Same source as above. 

It will be interesting to see what the students come back with.  I would guess the forced budget cuts are the driver of this.  My opinion is that NDSU athletic dept. would have been better off if they would have stated that from the start instead of a sudden doubling of transportation and equipment costs.  Their leadership has a lot of strengths, transparency hasn't been one of them.

• Upvote 1

Despite the agreement in 2014 to not return for five years for another increase, the five-year increase made then isn’t binding.

“It’s not a plan so as to say it’s concrete. It was a goal, kind of a promise. It was, ‘We won’t be back for five years,” Swanson said.

the five year plan was KIND OF A PROMISE.   classic

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I know someone who likes to say, "there's no such thing as sort of dead or kind of pregnant", but I guess there is kind of a promise. :huh::D 

I wonder what the athletic dept would say if the students came back and said we don't want the fund the increase from 2 years ago because it was only kind of a promise.  whoa

34 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I wonder what the athletic dept would say if the students came back and said we don't want the fund the increase from 2 years ago because it was only kind of a promise.  whoa

They should come back and say that they don't want to pay their tuition because is was only kid of a promise that they would pay it.  ;)

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, fgoSioux said:

why would NDSU go to the students for this?  All they would have to do is increase their ticket prices with the demand they have.   It's wrong to go after the students IMO at any school.   They are getting killed with the cost of College as it is.

The proposed student fee increase has nothing to do with FCOA of attendance, haven't you been paying attention?  It's just an unbelievable coincidence.  

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, fgoSioux said:

why would NDSU go to the students for this?  All they would have to do is increase their ticket prices with the demand they have.   It's wrong to go after the students IMO at any school.   They are getting killed with the cost of College as it is.

Yeah... instead of increasing student fees they should just charge the students for tickets like UND does for hockey

2 hours ago, 2TRU4U said:

Yeah... instead of increasing student fees they should just charge the students for tickets like UND does for hockey

I know you were being facetious, but they should.  It's a user fee.

It also keeps the university from hiding the extra costs.  Transparency.

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I know you were being facetious, but they should.  It's a user fee.

It also keeps the university from hiding the extra costs.  Transparency.

He was trying to be a prick about it. I'll just lay his argument out since it is obvious where he's going: All student have to pay the activity fees regardless, yet if students want to go to men's hockey games they have to pay even more. It is "unfair" to those who don't buy the tickets, since they are still contributing to fund athletics but not getting the perk of men's hockey games.

It's a dumb argument but it is the one he's trying to make. There is a premium on men's hockey tickets, it is what it is and it has been that way since the new REA opened up. However, even excluding men's hockey, UND still offers more athletic events for students to attend free of charge compared to NDSU. Considering NDSU athletics was shot down hard on their attempt to raise student fees (0 for, 7 against, 2 abstaining, 1 absent), I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with football tickets in Fargo.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

He was trying to be a prick about it. I'll just lay his argument out since it is obvious where he's going: All student have to pay the activity fees regardless, yet if students want to go to men's hockey games they have to pay even more. It is "unfair" to those who don't buy the tickets, since they are still contributing to fund athletics but not getting the perk of men's hockey games.

It's a dumb argument but it is the one he's trying to make. There is a premium on men's hockey tickets, it is what it is and it has been that way since the new REA opened up. However, even excluding men's hockey, UND still offers more athletic events for students to attend free of charge compared to NDSU. Considering NDSU athletics was shot down hard on their attempt to raise student fees (0 for, 7 against, 2 abstaining, 1 absent), I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with football tickets in Fargo.

Nodak651 is correct, I was being facetious.  I found it funny that fgoSioux said:

It's wrong to go after the students IMO at any school.

when UND is doing the same thing in a different way.  I'm not trying to make an argument, and I agree that hockey tickets have a premium.  I am paying student fees right now, and paying extra for hockey games if I want to go, and I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure what the contingency plan was for NDSU, but I wonder if charging students for the tickets is part of that contingency.

12 minutes ago, 2TRU4U said:

Nodak651 is correct, I was being facetious.  I found it funny that fgoSioux said:

when UND is doing the same thing in a different way.  I'm not trying to make an argument, and I agree that hockey tickets have a premium.  I am paying student fees right now, and paying extra for hockey games if I want to go, and I'm fine with it.

I'm not sure what the contingency plan was for NDSU, but I wonder if charging students for the tickets is part of that contingency.

Fair enough, my apologies for projecting the wrong opinion.

42 minutes ago, Herd said:

Ndsu is raising student fees to around Und's level.  And und charges students for athletics tickets where ndsu does not.  Oh the hipocracy runs deep here.

But, what are they raising it for?  Why do they lie about that part?

NDSU can raise it 50%, who cares.  But not saying the real reason why is the problem.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

But, what are they raising it for?  Why do they lie about that part?

NDSU can raise it 50%, who cares.  But not saying the real reason why is the problem.

Its for uh travel costs. Gotta get that oil change for the bus ride to places like Ft. Wayne State or Brookings College.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Herd said:

Ndsu is raising student fees to around Und's level.  And und charges students for athletics tickets where ndsu does not.  Oh the hipocracy runs deep here.

Wrong.  We would be hypocrites if UND raised student fees before the time agreed upon and we did not criticize the administration.  Students are not forced to buy the tickets, however fees are not optional.

On 1/29/2016 at 1:05 AM, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND Student fees from https://und.edu/admissions/student-account-services/und-student-fees.cfm            $569.98 per semester or $1,140 per year

NDSU Student fees from https://www.ndsu.edu/admission/cost_tuition/cost/               $1,216 per year

UNI Student fees from https://www.uni.edu/tuition/2015-2016-undergraduate-tuition-fees                    $1,169 per year

USD Student fees from http://www.usd.edu/financial-affairs/business-office/tuition-and-fees/undergraduate               $1,125.6 per 12 credits University support fee plus $520.80 per 12 credits for General Activity fee

SDSU Student fees from https://www.sdstate.edu/admissions/financing/undergrad/cost/                     $1,920 per year

It appears that Hammersmith may be attempting to identify the amount of student fees that go to athletics (and I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the numbers put out by that USA Today annual report). These are the actual student fees as reported by each school's web site (with links to the pages for verification). It appears that NDSU students are already paying more in student fees overall than either UND or UNI, the Athletic Department just may not be getting as much. USD students seem to be getting the short end of the stick. I didn't post UNO's because they list every fee separately, but don't give enough explanation for all of them to know which need to be included for this discussion.

2 hours ago, Herd said:

As I pointed out before, according to the school's web sites, NDSU already has higher student fees than UND. NDSU is planning to raise them even more. It appears that UND spends more of their fees on athletics and NDSU is going to get close to that number. But that means NDSU is spending more student fees on other parts of the school. Does the total amount of student fees at UND plus the costs of hockey tickets reach the level of total student fees paid by every NDSU student after this increase? Or don't those total student fees count at NDSU because the only thing that matters is what the athletic department gets? Or maybe NDSU fans don't notice what happens with the rest of the school.

7 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

As I pointed out before, according to the school's web sites, NDSU already has higher student fees than UND. NDSU is planning to raise them even more. It appears that UND spends more of their fees on athletics and NDSU is going to get close to that number. But that means NDSU is spending more student fees on other parts of the school. Does the total amount of student fees at UND plus the costs of hockey tickets reach the level of total student fees paid by every NDSU student after this increase? Or don't those total student fees count at NDSU because the only thing that matters is what the athletic department gets? Or maybe NDSU fans don't notice what happens with the rest of the school.

The trolls are just getting desperate on this issue. These facts don't matter because UND charges students (very little) for hockey tix. 

13 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Bison fans + Math =

confused.jpg