SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

17 minutes ago, 2TRU4U said:

Why does everyone on this board care so much what NDSU is asking their students for??  Keep in mind the students will be voting on the increase.

I think everyone is upset simply because NDSU athletics will be getting more money.

You can say the reason you are upset is because NDSU is lying, but 1.) That is speculation,  and 2.) There are other things to be more upset over.  Like Manitowoc County Sheriff's that are lying ;) For all of you that like a good protest, there is one currently happening.

A) I would guess there is a fair amount of schadenfreude after hearing how NDSU's athletic department is flush with cash is a big part of it topped off by the request coming 2 years into a 5 year agreement and the lack of details making it all the more cringe-worthy. And you're incorrect, the students will not be voting on it, the Student Fee Advisory Board makes a recommendation to Bresciani on whether it should be approved or not. There is not a student vote.

B) Are they really "getting" more money or is it supplementing a different area that is declining for an unknown reason? Are people really upset or just enjoying the show? If the increase is for travel/supplies/equipment as stated (which is absurd that it would almost triple out of nowhere), then I don't see anything to get upset about other than NDSU being really poor at budgeting and making projections.

C) Lying might be a strong word but at best they are being less than forthcoming and that is not speculation, that is directly from NDSU students (one who was on the board for the 5 year approval just 2 years ago) who grilled the athletic representatives who continued to provide vague answers. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

A) I would guess there is a fair amount of schadenfreude after hearing how NDSU's athletic department is flush with cash is a big part of it topped off by the request coming 2 years into a 5 year agreement and the lack of details making it all the more cringe-worthy. And you're incorrect, the students will not be voting on it, the Student Fee Advisory Board makes a recommendation to Bresciani on whether it should be approved or not. There is not a student vote.

B) Are they really "getting" more money or is it supplementing a different area that is declining for an unknown reason? Are people really upset or just enjoying the show? If the increase is for travel/supplies/equipment as stated (which is absurd that it would almost triple out of nowhere), then I don't see anything to get upset about other than NDSU being really poor at budgeting and making projections.

C) Lying might be a strong word but at best they are being less than forthcoming and that is not speculation, that is directly from NDSU students (one who was on the board for the 5 year approval just 2 years ago) who grilled the athletic representatives who continued to provide vague answers.

This is spot on.  Personally, I always enjoy talking about NDSU's lack of integrity.

What gets me is the NDSU Athletics representatives who made the second trip to explain the ask still didn't have data to justify their coming back in year two of five of what had been spun originally as a five year agreement. 

I'm sure the students weren't looking for a ream of paper sized budget forecast or a 200 slide PowerPoint, but they were surely looking for more than " ... uh, ... :huh: ... travel costs ... um ... yeah ... travel costs ... and ... uh ... stuff ... ".

I can see why NDSU students are questioning this. The rest of us are just enjoying the show. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I kind of wonder if the athletics department is concerned about statewide budget cuts due to the oil bust and how that could impact how university funds are distributed. Having more student fee revenue would be a more stable source of funding. 

As soon as they do it we will discuss.  Hopefully, they give us real reasons why.

8 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

I kind of wonder if the athletics department is concerned about statewide budget cuts due to the oil bust and how that could impact how university funds are distributed. Having more student fee revenue would be a more stable source of funding. 

Oh look a logical hypothesis. 

24 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What gets me is the NDSU Athletics representatives who made the second trip to explain the ask still didn't have data to justify their coming back in year two of five of what had been spun originally as a five year agreement. 

I'm sure the students weren't looking for a ream of paper sized budget forecast or a 200 slide PowerPoint, but they were surely looking for more than " ... uh, ... :huh: ... travel costs ... um ... yeah ... travel costs ... and ... uh ... stuff ... ".

I can see why NDSU students are questioning this. The rest of us are just enjoying the show. 

With that said, it is very refreshing to see ndsu student government questioning something their administration is doing, as I'm not sure it's ever happened.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

With that said, it is very refreshing to see ndsu student government questioning something their administration is doing, as I'm not sure it's ever happened.

Back in the 70s the student govt questioned everything. They and the Spectrum were hand in hand to bring down the establishment. It was an interesting time.

39 minutes ago, Herd said:

Why is this NDSU topic such a big deal here?   It's probably easier and more fun to talk about than Und cutting sports to fund FCOA.

That would be great and very beneficial if UND could continue to increase its budget with fewer sports.  We are probably giving more opportunities to men and women than we should be.

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Point 1: I won't argue that, however it is no different that the BS spewed on bisonville about anything UND. We can agree it is what it is.

Point 2: Your opinions (which are fine to have) don't seem to have a solid grasp of what the "plans" actually are or at least you haven't shared a concrete detail on them if you do. How did they shortchange themselves $1.5 million after only 2 years, which is almost 8% of their budget? They have been in the same conferences for almost a decade now and I all of the sudden travel costs are almost tripling? That doesn't raise any red flags to you? Of course they are free to ask for more money whenever they want, but by choosing not to wait the 5 years and coming back after only 2, they opened themselves up to every bit of criticism they are getting.

Maybe they are changing conferences.

Sorry I missed the NDSU sh*tshow, I was grabbing the leftover popcorn from Bisonville since our nickname issue is over (not much for them to talk about now), I think this would halt any talk of FBS with travel such an issue, could you imagine that Sun Belt schedule. They would be putting up those trophies and rings on EBay to get extra cash.

18 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Where's UND's plan?  Probably just going to run another deficit.  It'll be fun to see how much your athletic dept is short this year-end.