SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

It is interesting that he was in Fargo last weekend at the game with Faison and Kelley. Which I'm assuming means he met & talked with NDSU administrators while with them. Especially considering there were Big Sky games going on such as MSU @ E. Wash. Now he is in GF this weekend.

I'm not going to read too much into it or  jump to conclusions. But it does seem strange that he would spend two weekends in a row here. Anyone know how many days he was here last weekend or will be this weekend? Was he here all week working with Faison on things? 

Could he be asking NDSU's help in getting UND into the MVFC/SL? OR trying to lure NDSU out of the MVFC/SL and into the Big Sky. 

Could he be asking NDSU's help in getting UND into the MVFC/SL? OR trying to lure NDSU out of the MVFC/SL and into the Big Sky. 

Really? Asking a school that is not a member of his conference to help the process that would remove a school that is in his conference?

Really? Asking a school that is not a member of his conference to help the process that would remove a school that is in his conference?

if they had some buyers remorse.. Why not?

I don't think that is what he was doing but I don't think anyone would shed a tear if UND left the big sky.

I don't think that is what he was doing but I don't think anyone would shed a tear if UND left the big sky.

Except for Idaho who wrote in their contract they could leave without an exit fee if UND was no longer in the conference.  Their options are limited but UND was one of three schools named specifically by them.

Except for Idaho who wrote in their contract they could leave without an exit fee if UND was no longer in the conference.  Their options are limited but UND was one of three schools named specifically by them.

still don't think they'd cry.  Do they even have any other options for conference affiliation... Minus the WAC?

I feel pretty bad for tthem. Must be no fun to be second fiddle to Boise St.

still don't think they'd cry.  Do they even have any other options for conference affiliation... Minus the WAC?

I feel pretty bad for tthem. Must be no fun to be second fiddle to Boise St.

Unlikely its written into a contract and agreed upon by conference and school officials if its just for show.

If UND joined the Summit, they would be the 5th football school in the conference. Would there be a possibility of the Summit picking up a 6th football school and forming their own football conference? (As an example, a move-up Minnesota State?) Highly doubtful. The MVFC has not given UND the time of day as far as becoming a football home for UND, so really feel that the Summit is not a good place for UND. Fan interest will come as the Big Sky rivalries have a few years to develop. When I was in school, there was no desire to join the Mid-Con conference or whatever it might have been called back then - the Big Sky was the D-I conference that was desired. Now, on the other hand (and not really relevant to this conversation), why are there only a couple of schools west of the Mississippi in the Missouri Valley Conference. Last I heard, the Missouri River did not flow through Illinois or Indiana.

i think (and it's only the opinion of one fan) that the flagship research schools of the northern tier are a good fit. The affiliation with Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Idaho State would be an awesome conference if joined by North Dakota State, South Dakota State, South Dakota and Wyoming. 9 teams is a nice number for a football conference and what a regional footprint it would be. If you wanted more Olympic sports teams, get Omaha, Denver and Seattle to make a 12 team basketball conference. You would really have something! However, Wyoming leaving the MWC is as likely as UNI leaving the Missouri Valley, so won't happen, at least in my lifetime.

on another note, what did Fullerton say yesterday?

Edited by dakota

If UND joined the Summit, they would be the 5th football school in the conference. Would there be a possibility of the Summit picking up a 6th football school and forming their own football conference? (As an example, a move-up Minnesota State?) Highly doubtful. The MVFC has not given UND the time of day as far as becoming a football home for UND, so really feel that the Summit is not a good place for UND. Fan interest will come as the Big Sky rivalries have a few years to develop. When I was in school, there was no desire to join the Mid-Con conference or whatever it might have been called back then - the Big Sky was the D-I conference that was desired. Now, on the other hand (and not really relevant to this conversation), why are there only a couple of schools west of the Mississippi in the Missouri Valley Conference. Last I heard, the Missouri River did not flow through Illinois or Indiana.

i think (and it's only the opinion of one fan) that the flagship research schools of the northern tier are a good fit. The affiliation with Montana, Montana State, Idaho, Idaho State would be an awesome conference if joined by North Dakota State, South Dakota State, South Dakota and Wyoming. 9 teams is a nice number for a football conference and what a regional footprint it would be. If you wanted more Olympic sports teams, get Omaha, Denver and Seattle to make a 12 team basketball conference. You would really have something! However, Wyoming leaving the MWC is as likely as UNI leaving the Missouri Valley, so won't happen, at least in my lifetime.

on another note, what did Fullerton say yesterday?

If the SL forms a football league would they be playoff eligible immediately? I thought there was a wait on a new basketball conference that's why the GWC was never eligible for the dance. 

MVC schools would not shed a tear if NDSU left.  They didn't want them in the first place and now they challenge the scholarship  hierarchy.  NDSU will never get an ok from the MVC private schools.  UND would never move to the basketball Slummit - which is up there with the MEAC and Atlantic Sun in prestige as it is a revolving door collection of schools.

• Upvote 1

If the SL forms a football league would they be playoff eligible immediately? I thought there was a wait on a new basketball conference that's why the GWC was never eligible for the dance. 

They would have to wait two years for a bid, except if they were e separate six team division for two years first in the MVFC first.

the Big Sky and MVFC teams both aspire to FBS, in spite of their support if FCS in the media.  They will not cooperate on membership.

Basketball was different because they needed to be together for eight years dater they finished their transition.  FCS doesn't pay anything, but FBS and basketball do.

Edited by SiouxVolley

I don't believe anyone said anything about the Missouri Valley Conference. They have nothing to do with anything.  NDSU isn't a member, never has been a member, and probably never will be a member.

I don't think the MVFC would particularly care if NDSU left either. 

Whats your beef with the Summit? IUPUI and IPFW turn you down for graduate school?

Edited by JohnboyND7

I don't believe anyone said anything about the Missouri Valley Conference. They have nothing to do with anything.  NDSU isn't a member, never has been a member, and probably never will be a member.

I don't think the MVFC would particularly care if NDSU left either. 

Whats your beef with the Summit? IUPUI and IPFW turn you down for graduate school?

The MVC is a destination league, unlike the Slummit, and it would be very difficult to go like FBS as a conference, as half the league doesn't want it.

UMKC and almost all of the MVC had a problem with the Slummit, but you and bison fans think it's the best thing ever.  But they would never want a Slummit football league.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1