SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

SV, how does UND being the only BSC member to step up to the plate and offer COA affect Fullerton's two tier football plan?  Seems kind of weak sauce for the two big dogs in the BSC, MT and MSU to pass on it and say that they weren't going to win the recruiting battles anyway.

The MT schools do not recruit heavily in the same area as the ND schools.  NDSU offering FCOA will affect MSU and UM recruiting very little if at all. 

SV, how does UND being the only BSC member to step up to the plate and offer COA affect Fullerton's two tier football plan?  Seems kind of weak sauce for the two big dogs in the BSC, MT and MSU to pass on it and say that they weren't going to win the recruiting battles anyway.

They were talking about recruiting against MWC and PAC-12 teams which, outside of other Big Sky schools, is who they recruit against.  I don't think they are real far off in their assessment that they weren't going to win the recruiting battles.

I realize they were referring to the MWC and Pac 12.

I believe that COA will be an important part of determining who participates in the "second tier" of college football.  It concerns me when top FCS teams like UNI, Ill St., UM and MSU are dragging their feet on it.  Makes me think the MVFC and BSC may not be ready for merging with G5 teams and their scholarship and COA levels.

I believe that COA will be an important part of determining who participates in the "second tier" of college football.  It concerns me when top FCS teams like UNI, Ill St., UM and MSU are dragging their feet on it.  Makes me think the MVFC and BSC may not be ready for merging with G5 teams and their scholarship and COA levels.

FCOA can be implemented at any time, these aren't permanent decisions being made right now. And you don't get bonus points for being the first to do so. But if schools aren't getting any advantage right now, why spend the money on something that doesn't help you right now. Big Sky schools are hardly ever going to win recruiting battles against Pac 10 schools. Big Sky schools won't normally win recruiting battles against Mountain West schools. What advantage would Montana or any of the other Big Sky schools get out of spending the money for FCOA right now? When or if the market changes and some of the Big Sky schools are going to compete directly with schools offering FCOA, then I'm sure that schools like Montana and Montana State will find the dollars needed to do so.

Be happy. Maybe this is the "flip" from the by-gone days. The Montanas went FCS (DI-AA) and the Dakotas stayed DII. Now the Dakotas appear to be the ones making the forward move this time around. 

But there are a lot of other shoes to drop I suspect before all this sorts out. 

FCS schools want FBS for the revenue potential (more and higher guarantee games, bowls, more TV revenue, and CFP payouts) and media exposure, not for more expenses.  If they can keep FBS scholarships to 77 (the lowest allowable), they can minimize Title IX and other issues.  They will still get players, as MWC and Pac12 can not sign all the players.  The only other western option is DII schools.

Rob Spear, the Idaho AD, reportedly told Vandal fans in a tv/radio interview that some of the Big Sky schools would move to FBS if given an opportunity, with FCS and FBS leagues forming.  Vandal fans are now desperate because they know the Sun Belt will dump them after this December (for the 2018 season).

So now Spear, Fullerton, and I are your sources!

Edited by SiouxVolley

This is in regards to all sports-  pick of a DLineman that usually Montana gets, a WR that Eastern Washington typically lands,  a qb that Montana State can get to sign or a power forward that Weber State basketball typically gets enrolled...it won't take long for some of those schools to start changing their tune.   While I believe we continue to try recruit the areas which have been our strengths over the years, now with this new ability to emphasize FCOA, I think we should definitely stick our recruiting noses where our Big Sky brethren have had success in the past and see if we can pick off a few in as many sports as possible.

This is in regards to all sports-  pick of a DLineman that usually Montana gets, a WR that Eastern Washington typically lands,  a qb that Montana State can get to sign or a power forward that Weber State basketball typically gets enrolled...it won't take long for some of those schools to start changing their tune.   While I believe we continue to try recruit the areas which have been our strengths over the years, now with this new ability to emphasize FCOA, I think we should definitely stick our recruiting noses where our Big Sky brethren have had success in the past and see if we can pick off a few in as many sports as possible.

Totally agree.  Use this advantage while we still have it!! 

• 2 weeks later...

So is Fullerton going to make hay out of Portland St's romp over North Texas?  PSU may get a major boost out of this and they play Montana St at home next weekend.  Wazzu also beat Oregon, so PSU has claims to being the best team in the state.

Any talk of PSU dropping football may now be dropped.  Big Sky going FBS gets more momentum.

Edited by SiouxVolley

So is Fullerton going to make hay out of Portland St's romp over North Texas?  PSU may get a major boost out of this and they play Montana St at home next weekend.  Wazzu also beat Oregon, so PSU has claims to being the best team in the state.

Any talk of PSU dropping football may now be dropped.  Big Sky going FBS gets more momentum.

Wow - look at the BSC and tell me besides EWU is there a good team?  SUU leads the BSC and SDSU beat them 55-10.  This is the weakest BSC I can remember.

Wow - look at the BSC and tell me besides EWU is there a good team?  SUU leads the BSC and SDSU beat them 55-10.  This is the weakest BSC I can remember.

Bresciani only announced he had a goal of AAU in five years as  a ruse to switch to the Big Sky and FBS.  Your tune will change shortly.

The MWC and CUSA are worse than DII teams with your logic.

Bresciani only announced he had a goal of AAU in five years as  a ruse to switch to the Big Sky and FBS.  Your tune will change shortly.

Oh please tell us all wise one which BSC teams do you think are doing so great?  No way you should get more than 2 in  the playoffs.   

Oh please tell us all wise one which BSC teams do you think are doing so great?  No way you should get more than 2 in  the playoffs.   

Then why does Bresciani want to upgrade to a higher conference.  Playoffs aren't the only deciding pt.

If Montana beat you, it pretty lame saying BSC teams s***.

• Upvote 1

I am sorry but I think it is funny that Bison Dan thinks he has the credibility to call anyone else out on anything.

• Upvote 1

When did the BSC move to the FBS?????

Rob Spear, the Idaho AD, reportedly told Vandal fans in a tv/radio interview that some of the Big Sky schools would move to FBS if given an opportunity, with FCS and FBS leagues forming.  Vandal fans are now desperate because they know the Sun Belt will dump them after this December (for the 2018 season).

So now Spear, Fullerton, and I are your sources!

Yes, and the CAA would be FBS aslo if given the opportunity.   They were not given the opportunity, they were told that the only way to move FBS was to join an existing league.  Their league, like the Big Sky is not FBS.  Why would the Big Sky be told YES, when the CAA was given a flat out NO?

Edited by Herd

Centuries before BrescianI got NDSU into the AAU.  :lol:

So NDSU is putting together a plan to try and join the AAU. How is that a bad thing? It shows they are going to pursue different sources of grants and funding etc etc etc. There is a laundry list. We are setting goals while you are still trying to find a new nickname after how many years?

Of course you can always follow NDSU and announce youre going to try and join the AAU also. :lol:

So NDSU is putting together a plan to try and join the AAU. How is that a bad thing? It shows they are going to pursue different sources of grants and funding etc etc etc. There is a laundry list. We are setting goals while you are still trying to find a new nickname after how many years?

Of course you can always follow NDSU and announce youre going to try and join the AAU also. :lol:

So exchange NDSU with Big Sky and AAU with FBS.  FBS is much less exclusive and much less costly and much more likely by a factor of a few thousand.  AAU in your lifetime is purely delusional.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Yes, and the CAA would be FBS aslo if given the opportunity.   They were not given the opportunity, they were told that the only way to move FBS was to join an existing league.  Their league, like the Big Sky is not FBS.  Why would the Big Sky be told YES, when the CAA was given a flat out NO?

The CAA put in before the P5 had established it's primacy with rules.  Now, the P5 doesn't mind a bit if the G5 gets watered down.  More G5s make guarantees go down which makes the P5's happy.  The CAA will get in this time.  But the MVFC won't because the MVC wants their own private club.

Politics and money, my boy!

Edited by SiouxVolley

So if/when SU makes an attempt to come into compliance with Title IX I guess they would be following UND> 

• Upvote 1