SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

Paging Mr. Volley, Mister SiouxVolley, please report to this thread. 

Mr. #MACtion, Mr. Volley will be with you shortly to address your concerns. Please take a seat in our waiting room where you'll be able to choose to watch either "UND 24 Wyoming 13" or "Portland State 24 Washington State 17". Thank you for your patience. 

probably shouldn't base arguments on conveniently chosen games. 

What is the BSC record against the MWC?

The gap between the MAC and Big Sky is not as large as you would like it to be. Sorry. I understand you are a fan of a bad FBS team but the reality is the G5 has nothing on the P5 and that gap will continue to widen. UND & NDSU offering FCOA in all sports is looking a lot more comparable to the G5 than the G5 is to the P5. 

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Thanks for posting that which proves my point.

PAC12 spends roughly an average of $75 million per school on athletics and 15% subsidy rate

MWC spends about half that at $37.5 million and 45% subsidy rate

Big Sky spends half the MWC at $18 million and 75% subsidy rate

So the gap between the PAC12 and MWC is roughly the same as the MWC and Big Sky.  And the MWC has the same incentive to widen the gap between them and the Big Sky as the PAC12 and the MWC.

And the MWC uses a lower % of subsidy and creates an extra $50 million each year to reinvest back into their programs vs ZERO for the Big Sky which will widen the gap further each year.

My point is Fullerton has the loser-mentality of just hoping some rules committee changes some rules to penalize the MWC to the Big Sky level instead of trying to work hard and spend the necessary resources to rise the Big Sky.  Even if his fantasy of a rules change happens, the fact remains that the MWC still has contracts and revenue streams in place that will keep them earning more and widening the gap except this time the Big Sky will be spending even MORE money on scholarships and further subsidizing their programs to the hilt which could actually back-fire on them and make them in worse shape like Idaho which will quicken the gap divide.

If being able to simply have 85 scholarships and an "FBS" label provided some kind of level playing field then the PAC12 wouldn't be pulling away from the MWC.  The MWC isn't going to volunteer to tear up their CFP contract and revenue streams and media contract and decide to drop to 63 scholarships no more than the PAC12 would do the same for the MWC.  The MWC will never have the resources that the PAC12 has and the Big Sky will never have the resources the MWC has even if they are allowed to spend more on scholarships and facilities.  Montana had plenty of opportunity to do just that and they didn't want to because they were too cheap.  Nothing of what Fullerton says makes any sense whatsoever based on history or math or incentive of schools that actually has stepped up and made investments to create revenue to get where they are.  Fullerton is simply hoping for some kind of bizarre misfortune.  He probably has MWC voodoo dolls.

Exactly - Historically the MWC has a better win % vs the PAC12, 30%, than the Big Sky vs the MWC, 27%

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia/mountainwest/vs_conf.php

and Boise just beat Washington....  Doesn't mean the MWC Commish should run around like an idiot saying the MWC is just like the PAC12 and pulling out his voodoo doll and hoping the PAC12 gets dragged down to the MWC level by some dictator demanding the PAC12 tear up all their revenue and TV contracts and sharing it with them like that communist wannabe Fullerton.

Im all for the Big Sky stepping up their game by spending a lot more money and resources to try and compete with the MWC, but do it on your own merit and not like Fullerton hoping to drag others down because they are too cheap like Montana who had several chances but refused.

Im all for the Big Sky stepping up their game by spending a lot more money and resources to try and compete with the MWC, but do it on your own merit and not like Fullerton hoping to drag others down because they are too cheap like Montana who had several chances but refused.

Fullerton doesn't want to overthrow the MWC, he wants equal status with the MAC and Belt.  Big difference.

And if you compare the MWC with the Sky, at least make it even home field and same # of schollies.

The Big Sky has work to do on stadii, but all Fullerton is asking is for the right to go FBS.

Fullerton doesn't want to overthrow the MWC, he wants equal status with the MAC and Belt.  Big difference.

And if you compare the MWC with the Sky, at least make it even home field and same # of schollies.

The Big Sky has work to do on stadii, but all Fullerton is asking is for the right to go FBS.

Going FBS, can you even define what going FBS is at this point?  I would say that going FBS would be moving to 85 scholarships to join the current G5.  But let's be honest, there is no way in hell that the BSC has the resources to do that. 

So MACtion is right, you throw around the term FBS.  But what you really mean is you hope the G5 gets kicked out of the FBS and stumbles down to your level.  Please don't insult my intelligence by calling that FBS.  

Edited by Herd

Going FBS, can you even define what going FBS is at this point?  I would say that going FBS would be moving to 85 scholarships to join the current G5.  But let's be honest, there is no way in hell that the BSC has the resources to do that. 

So MACtion is right, you throw around the term FBS.  But what you really mean is you hope the G5 gets kicked out of the FBS and stumbles down to your level.  Please don't insult my intelligence by calling that FBS.  

I think its also been called the "2nd level" of college football by some.  You can call it what you want but in reality its the same thing.  

FBS is how the NCAA defines it.  If you don't think the MAC is FBS, that's your problem, but you proven you IQ is low before too.

Bizons said their no way UND can do FCOA, they certainly can't do FBS.  How's that working?

Going FBS, can you even define what going FBS is at this point?  I would say that going FBS would be moving to 85 scholarships to join the current G5.  But let's be honest, there is no way in hell that the BSC has the resources to do that

depends on which bsc schools your talking about...

John, John, John, ... where's that sense of humor of yours? The most recent magazine is always in the dentist's office waiting room so what else would be here in the waiting room here but the most recent games. ;) 

There are 253 teams playing DI football today. 

At risk of repeating myself, I see three levels of DI college football coming:

The (about) Top 2/3 of today's FBS (aka the P5): I'll say it'll shake out to be roughly 60-80 teams. 

The Bottom 1/3 of today's FBS (G5) plus the top 1/3 of FCS: Think MVFC, Big Sky, CAA members who make the fiscal commitment plus the G5 schools that just don't have media revenues like the P5s. That too will make about 80 or so schools. 

The rest of FCS: Those schools who can't do FCOA much less the extra scholarships, plus the Pioneer League, SWAC, etc. 

I base that analysis on statements by Nick Saban about how the top DI schools should play each other and from SBC Commissioner Benson saying there is a line between the top 5 and next 5 conferences in FBS. 

I think it may come down to maybe more simply this:

- Do you play in a conference with its own television network (not contract, network)? 

- Do you play in a conference with at least a regional television contract? 

- Do you offer FCOA, or scholarships at all for that matter?

• Upvote 1

There are 253 teams playing DI football today. 

At risk of repeating myself, I see three levels of DI college football coming:

The (about) Top 2/3 of today's FBS (aka the P5): I'll say it'll shake out to be roughly 60-80 teams. 

The Bottom 1/3 of today's FBS (G5) plus the top 1/3 of FCS: Think MVFC, Big Sky, CAA members who make the fiscal commitment plus the G5 schools that just don't have media revenues like the P5s. That too will make about 80 or so schools. 

The rest of FCS: Those schools who can't do FCOA much less the extra scholarships, plus the Pioneer League, SWAC, etc. 

I base that analysis on statements by Nick Saban about how the top DI schools should play each other and from SBC Commissioner Benson saying there is a line between the top 5 and next 5 conferences in FBS. 

I think it may come down to maybe more simply this:

- Do you play in a conference with its own television network (not contract, network)? 

- Do you play in a conference with at least a regional television contract? 

- Do you offer FCOA, or scholarships at all for that matter?

This is a very logical statement. Question is does the middle group do a bowl system with its playoffs? I say doubtful. Not enough money. Do some teams get invited to the big guys bowl games? If so how's that handled? 

This is a very logical statement. Question is does the middle group do a bowl system with its playoffs? I say doubtful. Not enough money. Do some teams get invited to the big guys bowl games? If so how's that handled? 

It looks like 10-12 current bowl games involve G5 versus G5 teams every year (a few slots depend on how the P5 conferences finish). Another 6-8 involve G5 vs. P5. TV likes bowl games and pay well for them, which is why they keep trying to add them. Since all other levels now have some kind of playoff system, it would be surprising if a potential new 2nd level didn't also, but it could very well involve bowl games much like the top level does now. No one knows for sure at this point since they haven't decided if they are gong to set up that level or what it's going to look like for sure, but if they set up a new level they will probably also set up their own system to determine a championship.

This is a very logical statement. Question is does the middle group do a bowl system with its playoffs? I say doubtful. Not enough money. ... 

I don't know, but I'm willing to posit this: However it's done, it will be done to maximize revenues to teams and conferences. 

• 2 weeks later...

What is incredible is bisonville having six pages of speculation on UND joining the Slummit and MVFC because Douple and Viverito were spotted at Saturdays game.  Moron vile.

Could just as well be they were pleading with NDSU to stay instead of defecting to the Big Sky, but that would go against everything those bisonville morons stand for.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1

What is incredible is bisonville having six pages of speculation on UND joining the Slummit and MVFC because Douple and Viverito were spotted at Saturdays game.  Moron vile.

Could just as well be they were pleading with NDSU to stay instead of defecting to the Big Sky, but that would go against everything those bisonville morons stand for.

do we need to get the straight jacket out again?  

why would they accept UND unless a team out east (YSU) or down south (MSU) leaves because they don't want to make an extra trip to the Dakotas if UND gets in. They (eastern teams) didn't want us 5 years ago I doubt they would wants us now.

So conferences are fighting over NDSU now? I thought NDSU was a school no conference would want?

In the flip side, maybe this is what Faison was referring to when he said the programs had to be reevaluated. Smit would be scary the amount of travel costs we would save and how easily COA could be covered without having to drop a thing. We would probably be able to bump coaching salaries as well with the bump attendance would get. 

In the flip side, maybe this is what Faison was referring to when he said the programs had to be reevaluated. Smit would be scary the amount of travel costs we would save and how easily COA could be covered without having to drop a thing. We would probably be able to bump coaching salaries as well with the bump attendance would get. 

No thanks.

• Upvote 2