SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

Unlike most on this board, I would very much welcome a Summit/MVFC invitation.  But until the MVFC expresses a willingness to take UND, there's nothing to discuss.

Well, the Summit didn't want us because of the "evil, insensitive" Fighting Sioux name and logo. But who knows what the future holds?

Unlike most on this board, I would very much welcome a Summit/MVFC invitation.  But until the MVFC expresses a willingness to take UND, there's nothing to discuss.

Minus, the Dakota Schools ( SDSU, NDSU and SD). I find the BSC schools more attractive than the Summit schools.

• Upvote 1

Minus, the Dakota Schools ( SDSU, NDSU and SD). I find the BSC schools more attractive than the Summit schools.

A conference with the Dakota Schools (SDSU, NDSU, USD, UND), the Montana Schools (UM, MSU) and a few others (Omaha, Northern Colorado, Eastern Washington) would be awesome in so many ways.

• Upvote 1

The ultimate FCS or second tier conference (in my opinion) would be:

UND, NDSU, Montana, MSU, SDSU, USD, Idaho, ISU, UNI, EWU, Denver, Omaha...likely a couple others that I am missing or could be swapped out.

Denver and Omaha don't have football, but other than that, they should all have very similar offerings.

The ultimate FCS or second tier conference (in my opinion) would be:

UND, NDSU, Montana, MSU, SDSU, USD, Idaho, ISU, UNI, EWU, Denver, Omaha...likely a couple others that I am missing or could be swapped out.

If you are going to have a second tier D1 football conference, I would like to have all members have football.  that is the main point for forming it.  I agree with a previous post and take out Denver and Omaha.  That would be a heck of a conference!!

• Upvote 2

If you are going to have a second tier D1 football conference, I would like to have all members have football.  that is the main point for forming it.  I agree with a previous post and take out Denver and Omaha.  That would be a heck of a conference!!

UNO and Denver wouldn't bring a lot to the conference without Football.

UNO and Denver wouldn't bring a lot to the conference without Football.

It makes scheduling easier for all other sports.  If you haven't noticed, not the easiest to get teams up to Grand Forks.  A few extra conference games goes a long way in improving the home schedule.

• Upvote 1

The ideal (and somewhat plausible) UNDBIZ conference:

All Sports

UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, Idaho, Idaho St, UNC (9 schools for 8 conference games)

Non-Football Schools

UNO, Denver, UMKC (12 schools split into 2 6-team divisions (western division and I-29 division) for bball.  Play 5 division teams twice and 6 other teams once, for a 16 game schedule).  Conference tourneys would rotate between Denver and Sioux Falls.

I just can't see UNI leaving the MVC.

All Sports

UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, Idaho, Idaho St Eastern Washington, UNC (9 schools for 8 conference games)

Non-Football Schools

UNO, Denver, UMKC (12 schools split into 2 6-team divisions (western division and I-29 division) for bball.  Play 5 division teams twice and 6 other teams once, for a 16 game schedule).  Conference tourneys would rotate between Denver and Sioux Falls.

;) 

Travel pairs for M/WBB: Ux/xSU (three times);  UI/EWU; UNC/DU; UNO/UMKC

Edited by The Sicatoka

All Sports

UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, Idaho, Idaho St, UNC (9 schools for 8 conference games)

Non-Football Schools

I just can't see UNI leaving the MVC.

idaho and Montana schools need the west coast for recruiting, both athletic and student.

idaho St, Omaha and No Colo aren't research Us.  Denver and Seattle would be awesome.

UMKC left the Slummit in part because they wanted an urban league not filled with Dakotas.

Edited by SiouxVolley

In the flip side, maybe this is what Faison was referring to when he said the programs had to be reevaluated. Smit would be scary the amount of travel costs we would save and how easily COA could be covered without having to drop a thing. We would probably be able to bump coaching salaries as well with the bump attendance would get. 

Leaving the Big Sky on short notice would result in high exit fees.  Not a way to pay for FCOA.

I don't think it would.  I believe there are no exit fees for UND if they share their intentions with the conference. 

This is correct. If UND notifies the Big Sky they are planning (but not committed) on leaving there is no exit fee or else its a 1 million fee to just up and leave.

it's like two years notice and no exit fees.  One year or less:  $1 million smackers.

how do you figure?  Quote from Fullerton:

If UND decides it isn't rock solid with the agreement it signed Monday, which doesn't require the school to be a Big Sky member for a minimum number of years, Fullerton said there could be a financial penalty. But only if UND goes about it "the wrong way."

Fullerton didn't explain what that way would be, but said if North Dakota was up front about all its dealings before an exit from the conference there would be no buyout fee.

If the school chose to seek a new conference home behind the Big Sky's back, Fullerton said, it would be charged a buyout fee of $1 million.

how do you figure?  Quote from Fullerton:

If UND decides it isn't rock solid with the agreement it signed Monday, which doesn't require the school to be a Big Sky member for a minimum number of years, Fullerton said there could be a financial penalty. But only if UND goes about it "the wrong way."

Fullerton didn't explain what that way would be, but said if North Dakota was up front about all its dealings before an exit from the conference there would be no buyout fee.

If the school chose to seek a new conference home behind the Big Sky's back, Fullerton said, it would be charged a buyout fee of $1 million.

Two years is pretty standard.  Anything less costs dollars.  A conference is a business partnership.  Walking out costs money unless is all up front and there is plenty of time.

It is interesting that he was in Fargo last weekend at the game with Faison and Kelley. Which I'm assuming means he met & talked with NDSU administrators while with them. Especially considering there were Big Sky games going on such as MSU @ E. Wash. Now he is in GF this weekend.

I'm not going to read too much into it or  jump to conclusions. But it does seem strange that he would spend two weekends in a row here. Anyone know how many days he was here last weekend or will be this weekend? Was he here all week working with Faison on things?